Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 8 Swans vs Dons Fri 10-May at SCG #AFLSwansDons @sydneyswans

I think we agree that it was a really stupid brain fade act. He may receive a fine for his conduct regarding the post climbing, but will probably receive one for the comment to the umpire. That should be the end of the matter. I believe the majority of the fans didn't know about the climbing rule, as opposed the shaking of the post rule, but everyone will be well and truely aware of it now. Now everyone including Robbo should move on and that Rampe pulls his head in and concentrate on his football. No doubt he will be a marked man by the umpires and if he sneezes they will come down on him like a ton of bricks.

The thing that kills me is that week after week we hear cries of "put the whistle away" and "the umpires have no feel for the game", and then when something like this happens, everyone is "the rule says it's a free kick, it has to be paid". Make up your minds, people!

What a joke ... he got a $10K fine for telling the umpire he talks like a girl ($5K suspended); and a $1K fine (fully suspended) for climbing the goal post.
    Ugh.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    The thing that kills me is that week after week we hear cries of "put the whistle away" and "the umpires have no feel for the game", and then when something like this happens, everyone is "the rule says it's a free kick, it has to be paid". Make up your minds, people!
    I wonder if the folks who are not able to accept the position of "umpire told him to get down, he did" will now look forward to a dozen 50 metre penalties a week for not giving the ball back/letting go of someone/coming back to the mark instantly.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Not a fan of his, but he’s was right about that one
    Well I can’t see a ball there, however it is the direction the players are looking so I’ll stand corrected unless there is an appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Well I can’t see a ball there, however it is the direction the players are looking so I’ll stand corrected unless there is an appeal.
    That’s a a screen grab I watched it several times. Just watch the footage and you’ll easily see Rampe is up the pole before he kicks and falls off while the balk is in flight

Veterans List
    There will (or should!) be another player who is also a bit embarrassed that this Rampe stuff is even an issue.....and that is Nick Blakey.

If he had cleared the ball from defence a few seconds later (he had scope to take more time off the clock) and more effectively than ramming it down a 'well in the clear' Essendon defenders throat, Dane would never have climbed the damn goal post in the first place!

I think Nick will learn something from all this as well as Dane.....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    There will (or should!) be another player who is also a bit embarrassed that this Rampe stuff is even an issue.....and that is Nick Blakey.

If he had cleared the ball from defence a few seconds later (he had scope to take more time off the clock) and more effectively than ramming it down a 'well in the clear' Essendon defenders throat, Dane would never have climbed the damn goal post in the first place!

Precisely. I had to be "calmed down" by Mrs Tigers after having a complete meltdown in my seat when I saw Blakey
    kick it straight to the Essendon bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

Blakey made a brilliant tackle first - but you are right about what he did subsequently. The fact that we won plus the OTT beat-up about Rampe has allowed Blakey to escape without external criticism (though I expect the coaches have gone though the vision with him ...).

Dean Towers must be weeping.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Blakey made a brilliant tackle first - but you are right about what he did subsequently. The fact that we won plus the OTT beat-up about Rampe has allowed Blakey to escape without external criticism (though I expect the coaches have gone though the vision with him ...).

Dean Towers must be weeping.
    Longmire was a guest coach on AFL360 yesterday, and he was asked what lessons the team had learned from the last couple of minutes (other than not to climb goal posts). That kick from Blakey was particularly highlighted (and the guilty party identified by one of the hosts). Longmire, while quick to praise Blakey for his tackle, absolutely acknowledged that the kick wasn't ideal and that this was something the team had worked through.

I figure he hasn't been singled out for greater criticism for the kick
    a) because we won
    b) because he's a teenager with just a handful of games under his belt.

A more experienced player and/or a different final outcome would probably have attracted more heat.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    If only the talk about the umpiring in the 2016 grand final, the most important match of the season, reached this level. Get your priorities right Victorian media.
    Was just about to post the same thing. I wish there was this much media hysteria after the 2016 gf.

Hopefully now that Rampe has been fined, (even though it's suspended), the case is now closed and the media can move on to the next controversy. We need Eddie to open his mouth.

Long Term Injury List
    I don’t understand how if the umpire didn’t give Rampe a 50m penalty for abuse and didn’t give a penalty for the post climb..... how can he now be fined for these actions? Does that mean every time a player is abusive, wether the umpire deems it worth a 50m penalty or not they will also be fined? My guess is the AFL has reacted to the media nonsense. Talk about an about face.