Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 8 Swans vs Dons Fri 10-May at SCG #AFLSwansDons @sydneyswans

Senior Player

#AFL Round 8 Swans vs Dons Fri 10-May at SCG #AFLSwansDons @sydneyswans

Thought I'd get this started early.

Cool in Sydney today, predicted to get windy late afternoon. Slight chance of showers but nothing to worry about tonight. Wrap up though!

AFL match preview, teams and stats: Sydney Vs Essendon - Match Centre - AFL.com.au

Broadcast guide: 2019 AFL Broadcast Guide - AFL.com.au

Ins and outs: O'Riordan for Cunningham. Dons ins are Orazio Fantasia, David Myers, Brayden Ham, Zac Clarke; outs are Joe Daniher, Kyle Langford, Jordan Ridley, Mark Baguley.

I'd normally call this a Swans win but this season, who knows. Perhaps it'll be the night they find enough spark and pride to get over the line.

Senior Player
    To be honest, I wanted to start the thread just to post this reminder of a great night from 2 years ago

Such a great memory! I was in the Ladies Stand having a ball.

Often I would tip us to dig in and upset the Dons (who are a bit suspect) but actually just at the moment I can't see it happening. Here's hoping I'm wrong - I'll be cheering us on with my mate.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Some selected stats from the Footy Live App:

Swans outscored by a total of 77 points in opening quarters - ranked 18th
    Swans outscored by a total of 67 points from a clearance - ranked 16th

Swans have scored from 34% of their forward half intercepts - ranked 3rd
    Swans have generated an inside 50 from 26% of their kick-in chains - ranked 2nd (this one really surprised me)
    Sam Reid has 12 tackles inside 50 - ranked 4th in the AFL.

Bombers have averaged 13 points from their centre bounce clearances - ranked 2nd
    Across the past four weeks, Bombers have outscored opposition by 14 points from a clearance - ranked 1st
    Bombers have conceded 56 points directly from turnovers - ranked 17th

Veteran Site Admin
    So maybe we are underestimating (to an extent) what Sam has provided.

Those stats suggest that we need to concentrate on applying a lot of pressure to force turnovers, from which we can then score. I suspect the Bombers' run-and-gun style leaves them particularly vulnerable to being scored against if they do turn it over. And we're not too bad at creating scoring opportunities when we do manage to get the ball into our forward line.

If we concede a few goals from centre bounce clearances, maybe it won't count for much. That the Bombers are ranked second with an average of 13 points show that centre clearances aren't a significant source of scores across the league, despite the introduction of the 6-6-6 rule.

Sam last week has 8 disposals 8 tackles. I don’t how how many were as a fwd but pretty good effort tackle wise for a “tall”

All great stats, thanks ugg.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Swans have generated an inside 50 from 26% of their kick-in chains - ranked 2nd (this one really surprised me)
    Ralph Dawg may want to pay attention to this one in particular. The ball might be coming straight back in a fair bit of the time but we're still doing better than most in this regard. So something the coaches are doing must be working!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    All great stats, thanks ugg.

Ralph Dawg may want to pay attention to this one in particular. The ball might be coming straight back in a fair bit of the time but we're still doing better than most in this regard. So something the coaches are doing must be working!
    We may be #2 at getting scoring chains from defensive 50. But then we do get a lot of practice!

I wonder what % of our rebound 50s result in turnovers?

I take the point about the practice but the stat is still as a percentage not an absolute number. So we're getting a relatively high percentage of a relatively high number of rebounds (assuming we are right in assuming we concede a relatively high number of inside 50s to our opposition). We're having to maintain our percentage for longer!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Slight difference, it's chains from kick-ins which is only a percentage of our chains from defensive 50. Perhaps we are abysmal when it's not from a kick-in.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I take the point about the practice but the stat is still as a percentage not an absolute number. So we're getting a relatively high percentage of a relatively high number of rebounds (assuming we are right in assuming we concede a relatively high number of inside 50s to our opposition). We're having to maintain our percentage for longer!
    I wondered how many were coming straight back and then turning into scores. Horse said 27 of their inside 50s (out of 77) were repeats last week. Which means more than 50% of our rebound 50s came straight back again. I suspect other teams are better at clearing their defensive 50 than that, even if they score less.

Veterans List
    Essendon do much better when Fantasia is in the team.....he returns for tonights game. Ominous.....

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast