Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 9 Weekly Discussion Thread

Veterans List
    Cannot believe the MRO thought Mumford's act was reasonable under the circumstances......he has just given the green light for players to basically assault opponents who are on the ground, after they have go rid of the ball, with their knees.....and break their ribs. He didn't even get fined.

Weird when you see Parker get fined for an act that saw his opponent play on uninjured...

I think Christian is failing in his role......things are becoming cloudy again.

Veterans List
    Interesting that Daisy Thomas has been sent to the tribunal for abusing an umpire. Apparently he called a boundary umpire a cheat.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Cannot believe the MRO thought Mumford's act was reasonable under the circumstances......he has just given the green light for players to basically assault opponents who are on the ground, after they have go rid of the ball, with their knees.....and break their ribs. He didn't even get fined.

Weird when you see Parker get fined for an act that saw his opponent play on uninjured...

I think Christian is failing in his role......things are becoming cloudy again.
    Hopelessly inconsistent and too lenient

Cannot believe the MRO thought Mumford's act was reasonable under the circumstances.......
    Agree. MRO said ‘Murphy has the football and attempts to handball to a teammate. Mumford approaches from side on to apply pressure and contact is made with Mumford’s upper right thigh into Murphy’s midriff.’

This implies Murphy still had the ball when Mumford made contact yet from the video it is clear he did not - Murphy had handballed away while Mumford was still several steps away. Seems to me that Mumford had time to turn away, not to charge into Murphy.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Giants are a good team with an average coach. Clarkson will always have his measure.

- - - Updated - - -

Giants are a good team with an average coach. Clarkson will always have his measure.

Bolton will get sacked for sure. I had to laugh on footy classified the other day when Judd said Carlton was still a "big 4" club. Such a massive drawcard got less than 10k on an away trip.
    Agree. Giants and Demons in particular are held back by average coaches. Essendon too, I suspect.

#AFL Round 9 Weekly Discussion Thread

Tweet posted in reply to “mark of the week” nominations from AFL

Max Gawn on Twitter: "Can’t decided bw Mckenzie or Stewart… "

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Interesting that Daisy Thomas has been sent to the tribunal for abusing an umpire. Apparently he called a boundary umpire a cheat.
    I wonder what will be the bigger penalty calling the umpire a cheat or telling an umpire he speaks like a little girl?

I was annoyed hearing Whateley & Robbo declaring last night that Liam Ryan has Mark of the Year sewin up as it would be hard to beat. Yes it was a great Mark, but Heeney's in R1 is at least equal (better in my biased opinion). They then replayed the best marks of this year so far, trying to validate their case & when Heeney's mark was quickly shown you could hear Whateley exclaim "oh that was good" like he'd forgotten about it!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I wonder what will be the bigger penalty calling the umpire a cheat or telling an umpire he speaks like a little girl?
    On 10 News they just said it might be $7000 which is less than Rampe's fine. I would be surprised if this happens because you would think calling an umpire an "f'ing cheat" is worse than saying he speaks like a girl. But this is the AFL we're talking about.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I was annoyed hearing Whateley & Robbo declaring last night that Liam Ryan has Mark of the Year sewin up as it would be hard to beat. Yes it was a great Mark, but Heeney's in R1 is at least equal (better in my biased opinion). They then replayed the best marks of this year so far, trying to validate their case & when Heeney's mark was quickly shown you could hear Whateley exclaim "oh that was good" like he'd forgotten about it!
    Heeney's still hasn't been bettered yet IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    On 10 News they just said it might be $7000 which is less than Rampe's fine. I would be surprised if this happens because you would think calling an umpire an "f'ing cheat" is worse than saying he speaks like a girl. But this is the AFL we're talking about.
    $7500. No mention of any part suspended like Rampe's, so larger in regard to what has to be paid now but smaller in total. "Little girl"....."F'ing cheat".....interesting.

It was reported on one network that Thomas's slur was 'probably the worst thing you could accuse an umpire of'.......apparently not.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 21st May 2019 at 11:20 PM.

Heeney's still hasn't been bettered yet IMO.

$7500. No mention of any part suspended like Rampe's, so larger in regard to what has to be paid now but smaller in total. "Little girl"....."F'ing cheat".....interesting.

It was reported on one network that Thomas's slur was 'probably the worst thing you could accuse an umpire of'.......apparently not.
    That was my initial thought as well. AFL spin doctors at work? All supporters are not fools and should not be treated as such by the AFL heirarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    That was my initial thought as well. AFL spin doctors at work? All supporters are not fools and should not be treated as such by the AFL heirarchy.
    Yes, the two fines don't seem to tally well. Rampe got $10,000 for telling the umpire, "you talk like a little girl". Whereas, Thomas got $7,500, for the rant of, "you can’t tell them that, dickhead! You're a @@@@ing cheat! You can't tell them that, you're a @@@@ing cheat!"

Even if Rampe’s is half suspended, it's still hard to work out, how that could be judged the more serious infringement. Maybe it was just a procedural thing?That is, Thomas went to the tribunal and had lawyers representing him. The lawyers made the case, that it was only worth a $5,000 fine. It may be, that the tribunal thought something along the lines of, 'well that seems a bit light, but the suits might know what they're talking about, so we'll just whack it up to $7,500'.

Though it is possible that the AFL hit Rampe harder, for possible offence to little girls, whereas, they didn’t care about any offence to dickheads and @@@@ing cheats?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast