Thread: Bob Hawke - s Swans man

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Bob Hawke - s Swans man

Was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny my memory that ex-PM Bob Hawke was a South Melbourne supporter and might have even been number 1 ticket holder at some stage?

Fully realise my ageing brain may be playing tricks on me.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    and might have even been number 1 ticket holder at some stage?
    Number 1 in 1982.

Mr Hawke passes peacefully - sydneyswans.com.au

I recall seeing a photo of Bob Hawke with Bobby Skilton post game in the South Melbourne change rooms.

Being a top bloke, I’m sure he was! Can’t see him supporting any other team.....

Definitely a South Melbourne supporter and was no 1 ticket holder in our first year in Sydney

Veteran Site Admin
    This thread had meandered away from its initial connection to the Swans. I've split the thread off. The non- Swans related discussion can be continued in Open Chat.

Senior Player
    As he was No. 1 ticket holder why weren't the players wearing black armbands last night? Seems a bit strange to me when they wear them for lesser reasons at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    As he was No. 1 ticket holder why weren't the players wearing black armbands last night? Seems a bit strange to me when they wear them for lesser reasons at times.
    Thought the same. Did Carlton wear black armbands after Malcom Fraser's passing in 2015? He was also their No.1 ticket holder.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Thought the same. Did Carlton wear black armbands after Malcom Fraser's passing in 2015? He was also their No.1 ticket holder.
    Fair point but Hawke's association with the club was fairly fleeting IIRC

Senior Player
    He used to regularly attend games at the Lake Oval - confirmed by Barrie Cassidy on radio yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I recall seeing a photo of Bob Hawke with Bobby Skilton post game in the South Melbourne change rooms.
    Found the photo! It was in the book "In The Blood". Taken in 1971 after Skilton played his last game, with his dad & Bob Hawke by his side

Attachment 2239

This is my first attempt at attaching a photo so i hope everyone can access/open it. Had trouble with my previous attempts as you can see! Sorry about that!
    Last edited by KSAS; 26th May 2019 at 02:41 PM.