Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 9 Kangaroos v Swans Sat 18-May at Blundstone #AFLNorthSwans @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    The next big task will be to re-integrate Buddy without losing our forward structure which has become more potent due to its unpredictability. I think its time to play Buddy as a high half-forward whose focus is delivery of the ball into the forward 50. I fear that if we simply play him forward again we will revert to the one-dimensional game that clearing isnt going to work anymore.
    We have been way more efficient without Buddy. Maybe he can become our Richo?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'll watch a replay during the week, and I know it's only LOLNorf but a few quick observations -

Blakey's stats probably weren't big but he does some exciting stuff, a bloke his size to have that skill set, pace, athleticism and a great footy brain is mouth watering. Does he end up a wingman or is he our future CHF?

McCartin has some of the stickiest hands in the AFL, draft steal!

Dawson, we knew he could play and is now starting to produce it consistently at senior level, inside mid, wing, CHB, CHF, could do any of them in probability, shows real footy smarts and love the left boot.

Hewitt I mentioned last night, nick off the stopper roles, just let him play as a mid, the guy can play.

Rowbottom, I didn't see much in his earlier games and last night he looked a long way off. I know he's not a small forward but back to the NEAFL.

Overall an exciting game and a glimpse of the future, just need the some of the other kids to continue on a upward curve and the future looks really bright. Rowell would have been a nice addition but he looks Crows (courtesy Blues) or LOLNorf bound after round 9, was nice to dream for a while :-)
    Blakey has the tools to be a Bontempelli

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Afl.com's match report says no reports? Not sure if it's an over sight or if nothing further will come of the Parker incident?
    Not a lot in it. Go his neck and shoulder IIRC

Buddy on the wing, he can lead Mccartin and Blakey to the correct spots with his field kicking
    Need to do something with Mills, being wasted still down back, give him Jones position

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Afl.com's match report says no reports? Not sure if it's an over sight or if nothing further will come of the Parker incident?
    The umpires didn’t report Parker but Michael Christian (the MRO) will certainly look at the incident. I think Parker might be fined (careless, high contact, low impact). I can’t see justification for a suspension as the North player played for the rest of the match.

Then again, Ablett and Fyfe received no sanction at all for elbows to the head last week - so Christian has set a precedent ......

Always thought Clarke could be a good tagger, has a great tank and it frees up Hewett (who killed it for us once again). Hopefully he can become a good role player for us.

Injury list is really becoming a concern now though.
    In: Buddy, Kennedy
    Out: Jones, Rowbottom

Our other unsung defensive player is Fox. Did a great job on Saad last week and was sent to Polec at quarter time this.

It does feel like Horse has been getting some of his moves from the RWO playbook.

Playing Clarke as a tagger to let Hewett be more offensive (he was still playing on Cunnington) is something that’s long been suggested on here.

Do we know whether Joey is injured or was rested?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Do we know whether Joey is injured or was rested?
    Longmire said in press conference that Joey hurt his quad during last week’s match and didn’t recover sufficiently during the week.

They kept that quiet until the last minute ....

Quad injuries can be difficult so I wouldn’t be surprised if he is out again next week.

Senior Player
    Great win.

Lots of promising performances.

- Hewett was excellent in a primary ball winner role
    - I'll admit I was willing to write Clarke off, but he had an excellent game
    - defence was great - Melican is improving every week, Rampe was colossal again, Lloyd did some tough stuff
    - Dawson is proving to be a very handy utility with his high marking and long kicking providing a point of difference. He's winning more contested ball, too
    - Florent had another great game. He really is an excellent kick. He also played all over the ground, inside and outside. 8 (team high) inside 50s, 7 score involvements, 6 clearances
    - Tommy Papley is becoming a real leader and clutch
    - Exciting games from McCartin and Blakey as people have said. Blakey is going to be an absolute star
    - Hayward didn't get that much ball, but did some desperate, tough things during the game. Smothers, chases, tackles, punching the ball out of unfavourable marking contests. Love that stuff.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The umpires didn’t report Parker but Michael Christian (the MRO) will certainly look at the incident. I think Parker might be fined (careless, high contact, low impact). I can’t see justification for a suspension as the North player played for the rest of the match.

Then again, Ablett and Fyfe received no sanction at all for elbows to the head last week - so Christian has set a precedent ......
    If Parker gets time for that then Ablett and Fyfe should have got 1-2 weeks at least. Ablett two weeks in a row as well.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post

I like Blakey's aggression at the contest, but he might be well advised to cut out the smart arse behaviour to the opposition - it does not do him, or us, any favours.
    It has to be said, as a known young gun, opposition teams are targeting him and he has every right to stand up to it......it shows character. I also don't mind him 'flying the flag' when a team mate is harshly dealt with but likewise, I don't want to see him overdo it.

I'm sure if the club see anything they actually consider 'smartarse' behaviour, they'll reign it in.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    If Parker gets time for that then Ablett and Fyfe should have got 1-2 weeks at least. Ablett two weeks in a row as well.
    The footage from one angle looks like he might have a case to answer (though more likely to be a fine than a week) but from the other side it looks like he was approaching the contest and lost his balance, rather than deliberately going in with his elbow up.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It has to be said, as a known young gun, opposition teams are targeting him and he has every right to stand up to it......it shows character. I also don't mind him 'flying the flag' when a team mate is harshly dealt with but likewise, I don't want to see him overdo it.

I'm sure if the club see anything they actually consider 'smartarse' behaviour, they'll reign it in.
    Thats what I thought as well after reading Matty .
    The kid is already mature enough to know where the boundaries are .

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast