Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for round X Collingwood Magpies

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Jack not names for the NEAFL
    Jack was on injury list as ‘hip’ and ‘test’. So not the head knock. And presumably (to use Longmire’s terminology) Jack ‘didn’t come up’ at training this week.

Jack has had hip problem previous seasons as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not sure about best balanced. It makes us even taller in the forward line, notwithstanding some of those talls are mobile and quick and can play on the wings. And we don't have anyone available to take over Jones's centre bounce rotations and add the zip that he provides. Maybe Papley will spend more time in the midfield.

I notice no Jack in the team, even as an emergency. I wonder if that means he's not available. Since his absence last week was explained by the lingering effects of a head knock, you'd normally expect a player to be available a week later. Maybe he's an exception to that rule, or maybe his hip is also continuing to bother him. Or maybe they just decided to stick predominantly with the team that did so well last week. The obvious player to make way if Jack were to return is Fox, but he had a pretty decent game against the Roos. I guess we'll get confirmation of whether he's not available, or just hasn't been selected, when the NEAFL team is listed.
    Well, Papley has been named at centre, so maybe he will play more midfield? Not that the named team is usually much of a positional guide. I suppose that Fox, Dawson, O'Riordan and even Mills could do a bit more midfield time. And, yes, we will probably see McCartin, Reid, Hayward and especially Blakey, spending more time as wingers.

I'm actually looking forward to this game. I think that we're stabilising and becoming more confident, while on the other hand, constant injuries are starting to destabilise Collingwood.

Not sure about best balanced. It makes us even taller in the forward line, notwithstanding some of those talls are mobile and quick and can play on the wings. And we don't have anyone available to take over Jones's centre bounce rotations and add the zip that he provides. Maybe Papley will spend more time in the midfield.

I notice no Jack in the team, even as an emergency. I wonder if that means he's not available. Since his absence last week was explained by the lingering effects of a head knock, you'd normally expect a player to be available a week later. Maybe he's an exception to that rule, or maybe his hip is also continuing to bother him. Or maybe they just decided to stick predominantly with the team that did so well last week. The obvious player to make way if Jack were to return is Fox, but he had a pretty decent game against the Roos. I guess we'll get confirmation of whether he's not available, or just hasn't been selected, when the NEAFL team is listed.
    I mentioned on another thread that Damien Barrett acknowledged Papley as "creeping up on the entire competition as being elite"; Matthew Lloyd and Jimmy Bartel reinforced that view, and Bartel's opinion was that "in recent weeks they've got his splits right as far as forward and midfield", so I'm hoping that Jones' injury doesn't adversely affect team balance in that way. We may have little choice.

Good pick-up re Jack. I would have been disappointed had Fox made way for him, as he's contributed well in the last couple of weeks. Similarly pleased to see Clarke with another opportunity to show his value.

Not sure that we'll win this one, but the young talent is impressive and the more they can learn together, the sooner our time will come again.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Well, Papley has been named at centre, so maybe he will play more midfield? Not that the named team is usually much of a positional guide. I suppose that Fox, Dawson, O'Riordan and even Mills could do a bit more midfield time. And, yes, we will probably see McCartin, Reid, Hayward and especially Blakey, spending more time as wingers.

I'm actually looking forward to this game. I think that we're stabilising and becoming more confident, while on the other hand, constant injuries are starting to destabilise Collingwood.
    I'd rather they keep Papley forward. Play Franklin and Blakey as wingers delivering to Reid and McCartin in the forward line

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Jack was on injury list as ‘hip’ and ‘test’. So not the head knock. And presumably (to use Longmire’s terminology) Jack ‘didn’t come up’ at training this week.

Jack has had hip problem previous seasons as I recall.
    I believe he's been battling with a hip injury for a few years now, starting from whenever his form noticeably dipped.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Update: Tom Browne reporting this morning Langdon also will be missing for the Pies but Daniel Wells will be making his long awaited return. Good news is that he reported Buddy will play but he didn't give any update on JPK.
    Tom Browne was on the mark with Buddy's return this week.

I think this will be a cracking game & give ourselves a real chance, considering their outs & our ins. I don't think the Pies have been severely tested in the last few weeks & if we bring our recent pressure game I'll be disappointed if we go down by a big margin. This is a big IF, but if we win the talk of us making the finals will be truly on. Love to see this happen just to put the likes of Murphy & Shaw back in their place after just few weeks ago suggesting we should offload Buddy on the premise we'll bottom out next couple of years.
    Last edited by KSAS; 23rd May 2019 at 08:48 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I'd rather they keep Papley forward. Play Franklin and Blakey as wingers delivering to Reid and McCartin in the forward line
    That doesn't address the issue of who can provide some zip at centre bounces. I guess the return of Kennedy makes it obvious who replaces him in simple manpower terms, but except that changes the dynamics of the centre square set ups somewhat.

Veteran Site Admin
    This is a big IF, but if we win the talk of us making the finals will be truly on. Love to see this happen just to put the likes of Murphy & Shaw back in their place after just few weeks ago suggesting we should offload Buddy on the premise we'll bottom out next couple of years.
    I don't think we need to make finals to demonstrate the folly of that suggestion. Even if the club (and Buddy) did seek to trade him, he was never going to garner a high draft pick at his age. So the idea of trading him to give the club currency to stock up on highly rated junior never made sense. Not to mention the value he has to the existing playing list in terms of his contribution to the development of the young forwards.

The loss of all our >200 game players last week brought into sharp focus just how young the team was. In reality, even with Kennedy (and Buddy) back in the side, it is still a pretty young team. Mean ages and games played hide over the finer details of the make up of a team. But given that people like to focus on means, taking out Kennedy on top of those already missing made the youth of the side even more apparent. And though the two wins have come against pretty mediocre sides, the performances of Hewett, Dawson, Papley, COR, Melican, Florent et al have made commentators realise they'd underestimated the talent already on the list. Blakey's talent was never under-estimated, but his last two games suggest he's going to mature into a decent player sooner than people realised.

That doesn't address the issue of who can provide some zip at centre bounces. I guess the return of Kennedy makes it obvious who replaces him in simple manpower terms, but except that changes the dynamics of the centre square set ups somewhat.
    Fair point. I overlooked how slow our team is this week without both Cunningham and Jones. It's shame because the last few weeks Papley has been very influential playing 70/30 forward/midfield, but you're right I think he has to play more midfield time this week to carry Collingwood's run. I still stand by the fact that I think Buddy should play wing this week and persist in that position will Reid is playing and Blakey and McCartin are gelling.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Fair point. I overlooked how slow our team is this week without both Cunningham and Jones. It's shame because the last few weeks Papley has been very influential playing 70/30 forward/midfield, but you're right I think he has to play more midfield time this week to carry Collingwood's run. I still stand by the fact that I think Buddy should play wing this week and persist in that position will Reid is playing and Blakey and McCartin are gelling.
    Tony Shaw must be reading RWO because he suggested tonight playing Buddy on the wing! Other media commentators have picked up on this, with Montagna liking the idea because he can setup play & still kick a few goals without being bashed against 3 defenders playing as permanent forward. Brereton & Dunstall question whether Buddy can go straight playing on the wing after missing 4 weeks on top of his lack of training this year due to his groin op.

Senior Player
    I don't think we need to make finals to demonstrate the folly of that suggestion. Even if the club (and Buddy) did seek to trade him, he was never going to garner a high draft pick at his age. So the idea of trading him to give the club currency to stock up on highly rated junior never made sense. Not to mention the value he has to the existing playing list in terms of his contribution to the development of the young forwards.

The loss of all our >200 game players last week brought into sharp focus just how young the team was. In reality, even with Kennedy (and Buddy) back in the side, it is still a pretty young team. Mean ages and games played hide over the finer details of the make up of a team. But given that people like to focus on means, taking out Kennedy on top of those already missing made the youth of the side even more apparent. And though the two wins have come against pretty mediocre sides, the performances of Hewett, Dawson, Papley, COR, Melican, Florent et al have made commentators realise they'd underestimated the talent already on the list. Blakey's talent was never under-estimated, but his last two games suggest he's going to mature into a decent player sooner than people realised.
    Young teams on the rebuild need a block of experienced players to learn from and to carry them to a degree when things get tough. Melbourne threw the baby out with the bathwater a few years back and their youngsters got slaughtered. Buddy, Kennedy etc all useful, even Mendel when he comes in.
    Last edited by liz; 23rd May 2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quotation formatting

Brereton & Dunstall question whether Buddy can go straight playing on the wing after missing 4 weeks on top of his lack of training this year due to his groin op.
    I am doubtful for this reason. Otherwise I would really like the idea.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast