Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: AFL Round 10 weekly discussion thread

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I know Damian Barrett isn't the most popular guy on RWO but I like that he's drawn attention to the fact that the Bulldogs are possibly heading towards a third year of non-finals after winning a premiership.

Barrett: The 40-year drought Dogs don't want to break - AFL.com.au

Thanks Sandridge. I don't like Barrett but I consider him relevant. He's well connected and a relatively responsible reporter (the bar is low among footy media). It's his personal style and his opinions that I don't take to, especially how highly he rates his own opinions. All in all it's pretty much the same way I feel about Mike Sheahan, relevant but way too self-important.

Also, I like this type of column*, where there is commentary and editorial about some bigger issues and trends beyond just what happened in the game on the weekend and the news of the day , not just reporting (or, too often, "reporting"). This format, with a smidge more analysis and depth, is preferable to 'Sliding Doors' which, as liz has pointed out, is so often inane. That's the same reason I prefer Caro for serious commentary. (I like Titus for the more light hearted variety of commentary, although he's gone off the boil a bit this year).

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I similarly find Barrett a less than engaging character, but he gets a tick as there are so few actual journalists around these days.

I do not rate the cut-and-paste artists that simply regurgitate club media releases (or press briefings), nor the irredeemable plagiarists, and the majority of the ex footballers spend far too much time pumping egos to say anything worth-while.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thanks Sandridge. I don't like Barrett but I consider him relevant. He's well connected and a relatively responsible reporter (the bar is low among footy media). It's his personal style and his opinions that I don't take to, especially how highly he rates his own opinions. All in all it's pretty much the same way I feel about Mike Sheahan, relevant but way too self-important.

Also, I like this type of column*, where there is commentary and editorial about some bigger issues and trends beyond just what happened in the game on the weekend and the news of the day , not just reporting (or, too often, "reporting"). This format, with a smidge more analysis and depth, is preferable to 'Sliding Doors' which, as liz has pointed out, is so often inane. That's the same reason I prefer Caro for serious commentary. (I like Titus for the more light hearted variety of commentary, although he's gone off the boil a bit this year).
    I agree on Titus.....he has lost some of his 'edge'. I even had a go at him over his assessment of the Rampe 'goalpost' incident. He was harping on about it like a Victorian dick, saying Essendon should have been awarded a free kick to win the game. I acknowledged that he usually has a common sense 'national' viewpoint and told him he just sounds like a Vic-centric sook in this case. His attitude was disappointing and smacked of 'jumping on the populist bandwagon'. It wasn't a good look for his credibility......

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I know Damian Barrett isn't the most popular guy on RWO but I like that he's drawn attention to the fact that the Bulldogs are possibly heading towards a third year of non-finals after winning a premiership.

Barrett: The 40-year drought Dogs don't want to break - AFL.com.au
    That article is an article of spite, and spite only.

What an obscure angle this "40-year-drought" rubbish. We had a top 4, 40 years ok. Back then finishing 5th was missing the finals. Its obvious Barrett had to dig deep in the barrel to find something negative about Beveridge.
    No wonder coaches hate the media.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

What an obscure angle this "40-year-drought" rubbish. We had a top 4, 40 years ok. Back then finishing 5th was missing the finals. Its obvious Barrett had to dig deep in the barrel to find something negative about Beveridge.
    Spiteful it may be but it has merit.....Beveridge is an average coach whose 'success' only came about because a bunch of romantic cheats who call themselves the AFL, gifted him a flag his team didn't deserve....in fact, they gifted him an entire finals series.

The fact that they haven't even made the finals since, no doubt devalues their 'premiership' and will continue to do so more, every year they don't. Even hardened Bulldogs fans must be feeling a bit like frauds now....as they rightfully should.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

I suppose, conversely, the fact that 40 years ago finishing 5th had you missing the finals whereas today you’re a finalist. The dogs should have had a better chance of making finals these days compared with 40 years ago (number of teams compared to number of finals spots) and they’re still too poor to make it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Spiteful it may be but it has merit.....Beveridge is an average coach whose 'success' only came about because a bunch of romantic cheats who call themselves the AFL, gifted him a flag his team didn't deserve....in fact, they gifted him an entire finals series.

The fact that they haven't even made the finals since, no doubt devalues their 'premiership' and will continue to do so more, every year they don't. Even hardened Bulldogs fans must be feeling a bit like frauds now....as they rightfully should.
    You’ll have to get over that one day. No amount of whinging will change history. The Dogs have the cup. The players have their medals. Time to move on.

Veterans List
    Actually, Titus gets this right from today's 'Kneejerk Reaction': The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Ten - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself re: our loss to Collingwood.

"The loss pretty much sticks a fork in the Swans for the year but it’s not as bad as ‘John Longmire is off to North’. I mean the team is struggling, but they’re not North."

Spot on.....Horse is not a masochist.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Actually, Titus gets this right from today's 'Kneejerk Reaction': The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Ten - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself re: our loss to Collingwood.

"The loss pretty much sticks a fork in the Swans for the year but it’s not as bad as ‘John Longmire is off to North’. I mean the team is struggling, but they’re not North."

Spot on.....Horse is not a masochist.
    We started the year poorly, but the last 3 weeks have been admirable. When these kids get 40-50 games under their belt, watch out.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678