Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL Round 10 weekly discussion thread

AFL Round 10 weekly discussion thread

One of the topics getting a lot of air time this week (probably more than it deserves) is the spat between Patrick Dangerfield and Kane Cornes. I don't have a view about "the Danger Show" although I generally have a positive impression of PD as a player and person. However, I do also like Kane Cornes. I only know Cornes from seeing 'The Round So Far' videos on afl.com.au and wasn't watching footy enough back in the day to recall his career but I like the way he goes out on a limb and has an opinion, often quite boldly (as in this case) where he took a (cheap?) shot at a highly regarded player.

Today I listened, for the first time ever, to the 'Damo and Hutchy' podcast, or whatever it's called. I don't like either of them and the show was self-indulgent and self-important, as I often find Barrett to be too. However, I found it a fascinating insight into the media 'game'. Also, whether you like Damo or not (and I don't - did I mention that already?), he is quite influential, knowledgeable (about media, not so much football), breaks a number of stories etc. Anyway, they talked about the Cornes-Dangerfield thing. 'Hutchy' sat on the fence and backed them both (he has business relationships with both of them apparently). Barrett did too but was a bit more supportive of Cornes and, in particular, seemed to marvel at the way Cornes continues to speak his opinion, without ever "learning his lesson". I found that interesting. Perhaps those of you who know more about it than me can explain, is Cornes notoriously controversial? And has he been badly burned for it in the past?

Apart from that I feel like having a quick whinge about the way the Victorian media are quick to portray the Swans as getting the rub of the green from the AFL, despite the preponderance of instances it is the other way. So naturally they have delighted in suggesting that, in consecutive weeks, we have been the beneficiaries of dodgy umpiring decisions costing our (Victorian) opposition close games. Yet, I would have been very interested to see the coverage if both of those (non) decisions had gone the other way. Would they then be bleating, as they were already beginning to, about the outrageousness of our holding #1 draft pick?

Senior Player
    Well clearly if a couple umpiring decisions had gone the other way and we'd lost the last two games that would
    have been part of a dastardly masterplan to "win" the wooden spoon. Just a pity we can't entice some of Carlton's
    opponents to lose deliberately to them and help us get that #1 draft pick. These other teams, they are just so
    selfish and refuse to help out at all.

Another thought: currently the 'conversation' about who might win the flag revolves around Geelong, Collingwood, GWS, Richmond and West Coast. It's an invidious choice - and I'm expecting mixed reactions - if I have to choose one of them, I'm rooting for GWS. I said earlier in the year that my antipathy towards them has ebbed since it's 2016 highs and I could see them doing well this year and I still think so. I'd rather see them win than any of the others I've listed. Who agrees? (barry?) Who is appalled? Who doesn't care?

The longer I follow footy, the less I like all the other teams and the more I can't wait for Swans to re-emerge at the top of the tree.

Of the teams you mentioned all have won the premiership so it would be good to see GWS win it.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Of the teams you mentioned all have won the premiership so it would be good to see GWS win it.
    Me too.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Yes, that's a good reason. Plus they actually deserve to more than Suns or Freo at this stage. Aren't GWS, Suns and Freo the only ones not to have won? Even the Saints have a solitary flag to their name I believe?

As for the Swans, we are overdue for a long period of domination which last seemed to happened in the 1800s!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Another thought: currently the 'conversation' about who might win the flag revolves around Geelong, Collingwood, GWS, Richmond and West Coast. It's an invidious choice - and I'm expecting mixed reactions - if I have to choose one of them, I'm rooting for GWS. I said earlier in the year that my antipathy towards them has ebbed since it's 2016 highs and I could see them doing well this year and I still think so. I'd rather see them win than any of the others I've listed. Who agrees? (barry?) Who is appalled? Who doesn't care?

The longer I follow footy, the less I like all the other teams and the more I can't wait for Swans to re-emerge at the top of the tree.
    I'm appalled. Barry agrees with you. The last thing I ever want to see is a team that nobody cares about winning a premiership, especially one that is a product of the corporate imagination.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    One of the topics getting a lot of air time this week (probably more than it deserves) is the spat between Patrick Dangerfield and Kane Cornes. I don't have a view about "the Danger Show" although I generally have a positive impression of PD as a player and person. However, I do also like Kane Cornes. I only know Cornes from seeing 'The Round So Far' videos on afl.com.au and wasn't watching footy enough back in the day to recall his career but I like the way he goes out on a limb and has an opinion, often quite boldly (as in this case) where he took a (cheap?) shot at a highly regarded player.

Today I listened, for the first time ever, to the 'Damo and Hutchy' podcast, or whatever it's called. I don't like either of them and the show was self-indulgent and self-important, as I often find Barrett to be too. However, I found it a fascinating insight into the media 'game'. Also, whether you like Damo or not (and I don't - did I mention that already?), he is quite influential, knowledgeable (about media, not so much football), breaks a number of stories etc. Anyway, they talked about the Cornes-Dangerfield thing. 'Hutchy' sat on the fence and backed them both (he has business relationships with both of them apparently). Barrett did too but was a bit more supportive of Cornes and, in particular, seemed to marvel at the way Cornes continues to speak his opinion, without ever "learning his lesson". I found that interesting. Perhaps those of you who know more about it than me can explain, is Cornes notoriously controversial? And has he been badly burned for it in the past?
    I'm not familiar with all the things that Cornes has said but I know that he has been critical of Tex Walker in the past and they frequently have a Twitter feud.

Cornes is not like other journalists that sucks up to the AFL. He doesn't care if people hate him and he says what he thinks. He has a segment on his radio show called Mean Tweets where he reads out mean tweets about himself.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I'm not familiar with all the things that Cornes has said but I know that he has been critical of Tex Walker in the past and they frequently have a Twitter feud.

Cornes is not like other journalists that sucks up to the AFL. He doesn't care if people hate him and he says what he thinks. He has a segment on his radio show called Mean Tweets where he reads out mean tweets about himself.
    That's very witty. I assume he's thinking Raymond Chandler's "mean streets"!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I'd like to see them win it just for the laughs of how many supporters they would get there on the day.

How many tickets would the club the allocated by the AFL, is it a set amount or do allocations vary according to membership size? If it's a set amount they may be handed more tickets than they have members!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'd like to see them win it just for the laughs of how many supporters they would get there on the day.

How many tickets would the club the allocated by the AFL, is it a set amount or do allocations vary according to membership size? If it's a set amount they may be handed more tickets than they have members!
    They have got near 30,000 members, which is a lot more than the swans had in 1996 when they first made the grand final, so I wouldnt get too cocky.
    I would say a fair few of those GWS members are in it for the opportunity of a grand final birth.
    I recall last finals series there was talk of not all members begin guaranteed a grand final ticket if they made it.

Also, Bloods05, do not speak on my behalf again.

Membership numbers for similar periods in their history (ie prior to a grand final)

Swans membership by year.
    1990 13th 9,178
    1991 12th 11,521
    1992 15th 9,881
    1993 15th 9,423
    1994 15th 9,813
    1995 12th 15,949
    1996 2nd 24,996
    1997 7th 36,612
    1998 5th 31,549
    1999 8th 30,586

Swans went from around 10,000 prior to GF, to 25k in grand final year, settling on 30,000 afterwards. ( Essentially finals being a 2x boost, GF a 3x boost)

Giants membership by year.
    2012 18th 10,241
    2013 18th 12,681
    2014 16th 13,047
    2015 11th 13,115
    2016 4th 15,311
    2017 4th 20,944
    2018 7th 25,243

Finals have delivered a 2x boost (12k to 25k) so far.

Remarkably similar, although swans rate of rise to GF was off the charts. Spoon to 2nd in 2 years!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast