Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL Round 10 weekly discussion thread

Happy and I know it
    I'm puzzled about why the GWS Sydney home crowds are so small (except when they play the Swans). Perhaps a large proportion of their members are Canberra-based, not Sydney?

[QUOTE=707;775181]I'd like to see them win it just for the laughs of how many supporters they would get there on the day.

How many tickets would the club the allocated by the AFL, is it a set amount or do allocations vary according to membership size? If it's a set amount they may be handed more tickets than they have members![/QUOTE]

This may be a great opportunity for a purist AFL supporter, who wants to attend the grand final, to purchase a GWS membership to get a ticket for the game.

Surely a large proportion of Giants members would also have a Swans membership? Do they offer 3 game ones like the Swans do?

Senior Player
    The crowd on Sunday against Carlton was pretty poor (about 9,500) but most GWS home games get in the 12,000 to 14,000
    range. Which is basically about half their membership number, so it's probably not bad. If they make a grand final they won't
    have as many supporters at it as we would have as they don't have the big supporter base in Melbourne that we have, and
    have less members in general anyway. The AFL will just allot more tickets to the other competing club and to the other clubs.
    The MCG will always be full on GF day, regardless of who is playing. It's the Grand Final. The common number that get's bandied
    about is that there are around 1,500 to 2,000 Swans members who also have GWS memberships. They are people (like me and
    my family) that want to support AFL in Sydney generally, and for whom eleven home games a year at the SCG is just not enough
    footy. Sitting around at a game on Saturday afternoon eating pies and drinking beer. It's a tough life I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Membership numbers for similar periods in their history (ie prior to a grand final)

Swans membership by year.
    1990 13th 9,178
    1991 12th 11,521
    1992 15th 9,881
    1993 15th 9,423
    1994 15th 9,813
    1995 12th 15,949
    1996 2nd 24,996
    1997 7th 36,612
    1998 5th 31,549
    1999 8th 30,586

Swans went from around 10,000 prior to GF, to 25k in grand final year, settling on 30,000 afterwards. ( Essentially finals being a 2x boost, GF a 3x boost)

Giants membership by year.
    2012 18th 10,241
    2013 18th 12,681
    2014 16th 13,047
    2015 11th 13,115
    2016 4th 15,311
    2017 4th 20,944
    2018 7th 25,243

Finals have delivered a 2x boost (12k to 25k) so far.

Remarkably similar, although swans rate of rise to GF was off the charts. Spoon to 2nd in 2 years!
    The two periods are not comparable. Membership numbers generally are vastly higher now than they were then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    The two periods are not comparable. Membership numbers generally are vastly higher now than they were then.
    A very melbourne-centric view.

Is it just me or does it seem weird that the AFL would fine Rampe $10k for saying an umpire sounds like a girl and no one calls it out for the minor quip that it was but when daisy calls an umpire a $#$# cheat he gets a lesser fine and there is much discussion about the size of the fine and in some quarters calls of unfairness to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem weird that the AFL would fine Rampe $10k for saying an umpire sounds like a girl and no one calls it out for the minor quip that it was but when daisy calls an umpire a $#$# cheat he gets a lesser fine and there is much discussion about the size of the fine and in some quarters calls of unfairness to him?
    Swans should appeal. Daisy is a "post precedent" if there is such a thing.

Veteran Site Admin
    There was some grumbling about the size of Rampe's fine from the AFLPA - Dangerfield had his say, as president. But I agree with you - if Rampe's fine set the new benchmark (which I don't have a problem with), Thomas got off very lightly indeed with his combination of profanities and use of the word 'cheat'.

The conclusions one can draw is that AFL heiararchy was embarrassed by the pole climbing incident, where it copped heat from the media and others, so Rampe had his fine increased to $10,000 with $5,000 suspended for the length of his playing tenure. Once again has the club been victamised with separate conditions applied to them viz; Buddy's contract.
    The only other conclusion is that is far worse saying that an umpire sounds like a girl, than to call an umpire a $#$# cheat. I accept that we live in a politically correct environment, but honestly which is worse. If one of the players was being officiated by Eleni Glouftsis, and said to her "that she sounds like a girl" or that "she is a $#$# cheat" which would be worse and attract the larger fine?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    ..... If one of the players was being officiated by Eleni Glouftsis, and said to her "that she sounds like a girl" .....
    Funnily enough, Eleni has one of the clearest, easiest to hear voices out on the field. I hope the umpire involved when Rampe had his little say has thought about the substantive point that Rampe didn’t/couldn’t hear him. And tried to adjust.

(The ump did say he called play on three times, as you can hear on the video. The third time was virtually simultaneous with Rampe being tackled.)

I agree that the only conclusion is that some of the fine was attributed to the ridiculous outcry from the melbourne media on the Rampe "pole shaking" issue and whilst they had to back their umpires decision that this was a back door way of punishing Rampe. Its the only explanation.

Personally I think its simply not on for Daisy to say this and he should have been suspended. I think it was Gerard Whately who pointed out that if the same occurred in most country leagues that it would be an automatic suspension. I fail to see how the AFL does not hold its players to a higher standard. While I dont mind if there is a little bit of banter with an umpire, the moment it becomes disrespectful and questioning their honesty then its a no go and Daisys words go way beyond that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast