Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reg Retires

Senior Player

Reg Retires

Heath Grundy has pulled the pin, there is an article on the official Swans site

Great career, what a legend!

I had a funny feeling that someone might retire before May 27! He's been such a rock in defence.

Grundy calls time - sydneyswans.com.au

Sydney coach John Longmire paid tribute to Grundy’s extraordinary career.

“Heath has been an unbelievable servant of our club for a long time and there’s no doubt he will be missed,” Longmire said. “In terms of leadership, Heath set an example for all of us with his meticulous preparation, dedication and passion for his craft. Each week he’d line up on the opposition’s most damaging and biggest forward – and he’d just get the job done. He’s a premiership player and a champion of our club. We wish Heath, Elise, Reggie and Jameson all the best for the next phase of life.”

Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham said Grundy is one of the greatest Swans stories.

“Heath has been an anchor of our defence over the past decade. His dedication and resilience saw him progress from the rookie list to being in the top 10 players for games played at the Sydney Swans,” Pridham said. “A premiership player and Life Member, Heath will be remembered for his on-field toughness. He is an immensely popular figure at the club and his strength of character and friendliness has benefitted everyone he has dealt with over the past 15 years.”

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I had a funny feeling that someone might retire before May 27! He's been such a rock in defence.

Grundy calls time - sydneyswans.com.au

Sydney coach John Longmire paid tribute to Grundy’s extraordinary career.

“Heath has been an unbelievable servant of our club for a long time and there’s no doubt he will be missed,” Longmire said. “In terms of leadership, Heath set an example for all of us with his meticulous preparation, dedication and passion for his craft. Each week he’d line up on the opposition’s most damaging and biggest forward – and he’d just get the job done. He’s a premiership player and a champion of our club. We wish Heath, Elise, Reggie and Jameson all the best for the next phase of life.”

Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham said Grundy is one of the greatest Swans stories.

“Heath has been an anchor of our defence over the past decade. His dedication and resilience saw him progress from the rookie list to being in the top 10 players for games played at the Sydney Swans,” Pridham said. “A premiership player and Life Member, Heath will be remembered for his on-field toughness. He is an immensely popular figure at the club and his strength of character and friendliness has benefitted everyone he has dealt with over the past 15 years.”
    Great player for us for over a decade. Very effective and remarkably consistent. Stood up in 2016 GF where a few others went missing. Underrated as well.

All the best in retirement Reg.His conversion from the front to the back was obviously a masterstroke.Who made this ?

So this is to free up our list for the midyear draft ?

Veteran Site Admin
    Demonstrates how much of a difference to list management this mid-season draft represents. I have some sympathy for Geelong's position that it negates the need to properly manage your list at the start of the year. I guess it's just one more change that clubs will get used to, though in this case the AFL didn't make up their minds about the mid-season draft until after lists had been determined in the off-season.

One effect this might have is prolonging the careers (by a tad) of players who aren't sure if they can carry on or not. Clearly the Swans decided to give Grundy another year anyway, but doing so makes more sense now that you can replace a player part way through the year if it turns out they can't actually make it through the season.

I guess this is neither good nor bad - it's just different to what we're used to.

In the meantime, congratulations to Reg for a wonderful career in the red and white. He has been a wonderful servant of the club and the epitome of the value the rookie list can provide. I think my fondest memory of his (or combination of memories) was watching him - yet again - carve up the opposition in a reserves game, complete with blond tips in his hair, only to have those blonde tips disappear by the time he made his senior debut the following week. Clearly he realised that it wasn't a bad idea not to stand out with flashy hair on debut. Didn't stop him earning a Brownlow vote on debut, mind.

Oh my.
    I'm a bit teary.
    You're the BEST Reg.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Always a bit of a shame when an old faithful retires. Also a shame when they don't get a farewell game. Still, excellent value from a rookie pick.

Veterans List
    Fantastic career, tough, great reader of the play, clever use of the body, took so many saving grabs. Despite playing on some of the games great forward week in, week out, Reg was rarely beaten.

All the best for your footy retirement Reg, good to see Father/Sons in your family :-)

Veterans List
    A Swans champ.....his high standards and consistency will be missed. Go well Reg and family.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks so much Reg! As a Premiership player, you'll always be a Swans legend!

Senior Player
    On the few occasions that I have been able to go to the ground to watch Swans games I have been incredibly impressed with how far ahead of his opponents he was mentally. This more than made up for a slight lack of pace. He positioned his body beatifully when man on man and could outmark the best of them. I have enjoyed watching his career from begining to end. All the best Reg.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

On face value his body has failed him - especially if the potential surgery is being considered. It’s “convenient” that it’s in time for the mid season draft I guess.

But if Reg started to want to play footy again at some level at the back end of they year - especially is the Ressies are making a serious finals tilt - can we use him as a top up player in the NEAFL? He would be a handy bookend to shore up the defence at that level.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast