Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 10 Swans v Pies Fri 24-May at SCG #AFLSwansPies @sydneyswans

Stulff it! We should tank. We've got the cattle, they just need to develop. Give the old timers time to recuperate, a couple of good draft picks and we're back in the show

Regular in the Side
    so manmy comments on the umps. I agree wholehearyedly. Why is it that in the same situatuin wee get a free against us but the opposition don't. Holwing the ball should have been in second qrt but against us and they score a goal where as a free to joey and we may have scored. Happens too often, does horse take a replay to umps and ask why? Running too far we do it and we get pinged, Crap umpiring against us too inconsistent, this is why players and supporters get frustrated. Surely we can ask for no Nichols, or margetts as well as stevic for our games , more of razor ray.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Did I read someone being critical of Papley's game? I thought he had another really good game. Not quite up to last week's standard but still very important, especially in the second half.
    I thought he was a bit starved for opportunity. He didn't seem to spend much time in the midfield this week but when the ball came his way he looked really sharp.

I reckon if the AFL stopped changing the rules for 2-3 years the Umpiring would improve markedly. I have some sympathy for the umps,having to make split second decisions whilst thinking what's the interpretation this week. I really find it hard to believe that any of the Umps deliberately have it in for us although the stats do tell another story. Maybe it's our combative,defensive game style that sees us giving away more frees than other teams.

Veterans List
    I didn't think the umpiring was too bad, except......the inconsistency with holding the ball. Sidebottom got caught red hot a couple of times, Reid got 360ed and Treloar just let the ball go in the 3rd quarter, yet they were very quick on pinging us in some pretty tough no prior situations. Yes Nicholls was right at the forefront of those decisions and was very conspicuous during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    So, who was that guy out there who looked just like Sam Reid and wearing his jumper? We should play him every week.
    Yes, his best game for years. Benefited from Buddy diverting defensive attention but always great hands but kicked very straight last night.Also obviously injury free and hope his body has finally matured and those days are past him.

Now Sammy ,work on your consistency!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I didn't think the umpiring was too bad, except......the inconsistency with holding the ball. Sidebottom got caught red hot a couple of times, Reid got 360ed and Treloar just let the ball go in the 3rd quarter, yet they were very quick on pinging us in some pretty tough no prior situations. Yes Nicholls was right at the forefront of those decisions and was very conspicuous during the game.
    That sums up my impression exactly. There were a couple of times where our players were pinged for HTB with zero prior opportunity and the same didn't seem to be the case for the Pies. There was a DOB call against Thurlow early in the game where it was pretty obvious from my vantage point it wasn't deliberate. He was trying to kick the ball into space but got too much on it and also got the angle slightly wrong. But those ones are paid as deliberate far more often than not.

Otherwise, I thought it was a decently umpired game considering how hard it is to umpire. There weren't too many howlers - maybe the Brown running too far. I thought Sam Reid got one free for a push or arm chop (wasn't sure what it exactly was paid for) that was very generous. To me he looked like he just slightly mistimed his lead.

The Pies were the better team (just) on the night and I think deserved their win. Umpiring wasn't a factor. We created enough chances but just couldn't quite nail a couple there close to the end. But overall, we enjoyed a much better goal conversion rate than the Pies. It did feel to me that the Pies got the bounce of the ball more often than we did, but it probably always seems that way when you're barracking with one eye shut. And there's no doubt that the Pies were a lot cleaner in their ball handing than a few of our players were.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's good to see the boys playing some solid footy and competing with one of the better sides. What we want to see this year is an improving team and I think that's what we are seeing. Not everyone is going to improve every week, so we just have to get used to that. It's the overall progress of the group.

We still have plenty of talent coming through the reserves in players like Stoddart, Ling, Amartey and Bell. It's all going to click some day and we will have ourselves a fine young team with plenty of depth.
    Couldn't agree more Ludwig. It is a bit of a conundrum , you want the young players to grow but to have early draft picks not enough to strap to many wins together ? I think we should just do what we have done before , just play whats in front of us and deal with whatever position we end up at the end of the year. It must be very demoralizing to play in a side that tanks and it would destroy the culture of any club that did.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Yes, his best game for years. Benefited from Buddy diverting defensive attention but always great hands but kicked very straight last night.Also obviously injury free and hope his body has finally matured and those days are past him.

Now Sammy ,work on your consistency!
    I thought Reid more than matched Grundy in the ruck. Worked to the front at boundary throw ins and frustrated Grundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I thought Reid more than matched Grundy in the ruck. Worked to the front at boundary throw ins and frustrated Grundy.
    Agreed. Seemed much more mobile than Sinclair. I can't fault Simclair's efforts but in not in the same league as the majority of the other ruckmen in the comp. I think that he is better suited as a forward/relief ruckman.

Spirited performance from our boys , for the third week in a row. Sign that extension horse before the kangas come knocking !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinclair was absolutely destroyed by Grundy and Reid more then matched him. This is extremely concerning but we have absolutely no other options until Naismith is back up and running (Cameron is not the solution).

I thought our defenders had brilliant games. Melican showed a bit, Aliir is a gun and Rampe (brain explosion aside) was fantastic. The ball was constantly down there (mainly due to Sinclair always losing the battle in the middle) and they just stood up and resisted everything.

Buddy looks so injured, he shouldn't have played.

Heeney needs to lift.