Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 11 Weekly Discussion Thread

Hard job to take on as you are surrounded by a boys club of ex legends who are teflon.

The talent analysis seems to be predicated on how many first rounders they have but this isnt for me any pointer to their ability to adapt to AFL level. There has been many a bust over the years from first rounders and while it should be an indicator of potential talent , there has been no indication to date that it has translated to AFL level talent that is just being misguided.

In saying all that Bolton has one of the worst coaching records ever , in any era that would be fatal. Whether thats due to the boys club or Bolton I guess will be proven moving forward.

Senior Player
    Carlton's winning record over the last few years is not dissimilar to ours in the 1992-1994 period. I don't
    remember too much talk about how great our list was at the time. What we did was recruit Plugger, Roos
    and Maxfield in the one year. Recruiting a whole bunch of guys not good enough to play for GWS hasn't really
    had the same effect for the Blues.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Saturday July 13th at the SCG. We'll see then whether Bolton was the problem at Carlton!

The Carlton list is pumped up by the media but maybe, just maybe it's not as good as they think. Media are very shallow, get a lot wrong in these types of things. I look at their list and it's really shallow with a number of key players retiring this year or next and they have a handful of potentially exciting young players but no more than most clubs. They have no depth. Poison chalice for whoever takes this coaching job and they won't have the guts to sack SOS.
    Poisoned chalice is exactly how I see it. No aspiring assistant coach (in their right mind) would take on the Carlton coaching job

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Carlton's winning record over the last few years is not dissimilar to ours in the 1992-1994 period. I don't
    remember too much talk about how great our list was at the time. What we did was recruit Plugger, Roos
    and Maxfield in the one year. Recruiting a whole bunch of guys not good enough to play for GWS hasn't really
    had the same effect for the Blues.
    With just plugger and Roos we went from last to grand final in 2 years.
    The list difference between great and poor is only 2 good players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    Poisoned chalice is exactly how I see it. No aspiring assistant coach (in their right mind) would take on the Carlton coaching job
    They have had 2 new coaches (ratten and Bolton) and two established coaches (pagan and malthouse) and all failed. The problem is not the coach.

I'd love to see ratten get the gig again. He was shafted unfairly.

Senior Player
    I'm of the belief that that there isn't as big a gap between the top and the bottom as a lot of people think.
    There is a salary cap, and it mostly works. The draft mostly works. All the clubs train just as much as each
    other. Most of the difference is what's going on in their heads. From '95 onwards we had Plugger, Roos and Kelly,
    three out-and-out superstars running the shop and basically dragging everyone else along with them.
    These were just three guys who led from the front, and refused under any circumstances to be beaten.
    Players like this raise the bar for everyone.
    Carlton have Cripps, a natural born leader and their best player, but they need two more of him, and it
    won't matter who coaches them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    A close friend of mine told me last week that a Carlton insider told him that Silvagni didn't like Bolton at all. I love it how all and sundry in the media reckon Carlton has a good list. (put together by Silvagni)
    Was walking down Smith St Collingwood this arvo and guess who was walking the other way.....none other than Ross Lyon. Perhaps looking for a coffee shop for a quiet chat to someone. Listening to the news right now and his name was mentioned.
    Think you were onto something Nico as Ross Lyon was seen having lunch with Steve Silvagni in Carlton today!

AFL 2019: Carlton coach staff meet with Ross Lyon | Brendon Bolton

Senior Player
    I feel a Carlton graph coming on. Here are their margins in each game from the Denis Pagan era to now. In a way, they are back where they started 15 years ago.

I doubt Ratten would come back but looking at that, you have to wonder at the decision to sack him. His H & A wins are 51.29%. Malthouse was 37.5%.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I feel a Carlton graph coming on. Here are their margins in each game from the Denis Pagan era to now. In a way, they are back where they started 15 years ago.

I doubt Ratten would come back but looking at that, you have to wonder at the decision to sack him. His H & A wins are 51.29%. Malthouse was 37.5%.

Sacking Ratten was a terrible call. From memory their list was overrated back then too.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Sacking Ratten was a terrible call. From memory their list was overrated back then too.
    They were by far the most arrogant club and got their just desserts. Sacking Ratten was the epitome of delusion. Who would have thought that they would be down for so long! Still hard for me to have pity. We used to get many hammerings at Princes Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    They were by far the most arrogant club and got their just desserts. Sacking Ratten was the epitome of delusion. Who would have thought that they would be down for so long! Still hard for me to have pity. We used to get many hammerings at Princes Park.
    I have no pity after their role in trying to finish us off once and for all in our darkest hour in the 90s.

May they stay in purgatory for many a year if you ask me.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

Excellent work, Neil.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks neilfws, quite illuminating in its own way.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast