Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: #AFL Round 11 Weekly Discussion Thread

While it makes me wanna barf into my dinner as I type this, I sorta agree with Chins on this one.

While all of the Premiers and runner ups from 1870-1897 come from foundation VFL clubs,

Year Winner Runner-up
    1877 Carlton Melbourne
    1878 Geelong Melbourne
    1879 Geelong Carlton
    1880 Geelong South Melb
    1881 South Melb. Geelong
    1882 Geelong Essendon
    1883 Geelong South Melb
    1884 Geelong Essendon
    1885 South Melb Essendon
    1886 Geelong South Melb
    1887 Carlton Geelong
    Victorian Football Association premiership officially established
    1888 South Melb Geelong
    1889 South Melb Carlton
    1890 South Melb Carlton
    1891 Essendon Carlton
    1892 Essendon Fitzroy
    1893 Essendon Melbourne
    1894 Essendon Melbourne
    1895 Fitzroy Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne
    1896 Collingwood South Melb

Other non-eventual VFL clubs would have competed during those seasons. Furthermore, from 1877 until 1887, the premiership was a title given to the best performing team, determined largely by press consensus. These premierships, as well as premierships between 1870 and 1876 decided in the same manner prior to the foundation of the VFA, were at the time an informal title, but have since been considered official.

To me, incorporating 1870-1896 is somewhat contrived and manufactured. Clubs should recognise their own FVA premierships, but the AFL precursor VFL competition commenced in 1897 when 6 clubs split from the then VFA to form a new league.

This is the only time I’ve agreed with Chins ... I feel dirty!
    Last edited by 0918330512; 5th June 2019 at 09:18 PM.

It's all well and good to luxuriate in Carlton's suffering, but their 1st draft pick goes to Adelaide this year. It's in everyone's interest, not least the Swans, that they rise like Lazarus and climb above us on the ladder.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It's all well and good to luxuriate in Carlton's suffering, but their 1st draft pick goes to Adelaide this year. It's in everyone's interest, not least the Swans, that they rise like Lazarus and climb above us on the ladder.
    I understand the Rowell dream is indeed quite a wet one but accept it, he's gone.....we would have to tank big time to end up below Carlton.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 5th June 2019 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    And will other interstate clubs get credit for their wins?
    Port Adelaide was the only one that existed then.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Port Adelaide was the only one that existed then.
    Thanks Bloods05. I assume that Eagles and Freo weren't around. Does the AFL see Brisbane as a transferred Fitzroy, or is that a Brisbane wannabe?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I understand the Rowell dream is indeed quite a wet one but accept it, he's gone.....we would have to tank big time to end up below Carlton.
    Ah no, you've got it wrong. Bolton was the only problem at Carlton, he's gone now, so expect a charge up the ladder from this excellent list developed by SOS!

Crows must be wetting themselves with happiness about Carlton's year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Ah no, you've got it wrong. Bolton was the only problem at Carlton, he's gone now, so expect a charge up the ladder from this excellent list developed by SOS!
    Absolutely, there are 11 H & A games to go, they'll win them all, finish 5th or 6th on the ladder with 13 wins, then win their four finals games
    to take out their first flag since 1995, when they also won their 16th game in a row in the Grand Final. History will be repeated. I'm heading
    off to the TAB right now !

Veterans List
    The vision of last weeks lethargic Carlton effort was damning, be really interested to see what they effort they bring in the next few weeks. Still don't rate their list.

Veterans List
    The vision of last weeks lethargic Carlton effort was damning, be really interested to see what they effort they bring in the next few weeks. Still don't rate their list.
    Not that he's declared he's going for the job but I reckon caretaker coach Teague is on a hiding to nothing.

The Melbourne Media think they've got more potential than North, but it is only that, potential. It is amazing what a change of coach can do, thinking of Roos in 2002.

I tend to agree with the Melbourne media that they have got more potential than North, but that potential has to be fulfilled. Whether that happens is another query.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    While it makes me wanna barf into my dinner as I type this, I sorta agree with Chins on this one.

While all of the Premiers and runner ups from 1870-1897 come from foundation VFL clubs,

Year Winner Runner-up
    1877 Carlton Melbourne
    1878 Geelong Melbourne
    1879 Geelong Carlton
    1880 Geelong South Melb
    1881 South Melb. Geelong
    1882 Geelong Essendon
    1883 Geelong South Melb
    1884 Geelong Essendon
    1885 South Melb Essendon
    1886 Geelong South Melb
    1887 Carlton Geelong
    Victorian Football Association premiership officially established
    1888 South Melb Geelong
    1889 South Melb Carlton
    1890 South Melb Carlton
    1891 Essendon Carlton
    1892 Essendon Fitzroy
    1893 Essendon Melbourne
    1894 Essendon Melbourne
    1895 Fitzroy Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne
    1896 Collingwood South Melb

Other non-eventual VFL clubs would have competed during those seasons. Furthermore, from 1877 until 1887, the premiership was a title given to the best performing team, determined largely by press consensus. These premierships, as well as premierships between 1870 and 1876 decided in the same manner prior to the foundation of the VFA, were at the time an informal title, but have since been considered official.

To me, incorporating 1870-1896 is somewhat contrived and manufactured. Clubs should recognise their own FVA premierships, but the AFL precursor VFL competition commenced in 1897 when 6 clubs split from the then VFA to form a new league.

This is the only time I’ve agreed with Chins ... I feel dirty!
    Another valid viewpoint is that the records up till 1897 shine a light on the period when it was the VFA. This is something that has been totally forgotten. Don't have a problem with it although not sure if it is fair to SA and WA comps.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567