Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swans sign Irishman Barry O'Connor!

I was thinking of you too, barry.

They've now posted a longer version of the same article on afl.com.au: Swans sign 193cm Irishman after two-week trial - AFL.com.au.

I wonder why they've gone for BOC after passing on so many other Irish prospects? Was it his height? Was it the fact that COR has now come good and it's time to get another project in the door? Anyway, I agree with you, 707, that it is a free hit and good to take every opportunity to find new talent. We've got a long list now. Also, will hopefully benefit the NEAFL team (albeit maybe not right away!) which has more ruck-types than KPPs at the moment.

When the article says that we've signed him on a two year contract, does that mean the contract starts next season? I'm assuming so, but it doesn't explicitly say so. Or is there a chance that he'll be running around in the NEAFL, sometime in the next few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I was thinking of you too, barry.

They've now posted a longer version of the same article on afl.com.au: Swans sign 193cm Irishman after two-week trial - AFL.com.au.

I wonder why they've gone for BOC after passing on so many other Irish prospects? Was it his height? Was it the fact that COR has now come good and it's time to get another project in the door? Anyway, I agree with you, 707, that it is a free hit and good to take every opportunity to find new talent. We've got a long list now. Also, will hopefully benefit the NEAFL team (albeit maybe not right away!) which has more ruck-types than KPPs at the moment.
    I'd assume a lot of diligence goes into whether they are going to hang around or not.
    Do you remember Kyle Coney, Chris McKaigue, Brendan Murphy & Declan O'Mahoney????????
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge.maverick View Post
    I'd assume a lot of diligence goes into whether they are going to hang around or not.
    Do you remember Kyle Coney, Chris McKaigue, Brendan Murphy & Declan O'Mahoney????????
    Yes, you are correct that many are tried and few succeed but when they are free hits get them in, only costs $ and there's no shortage of that.

After due diligence of course :-)

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Good. We need someone named Barry at the Swans.
    We have had some good ones...Hall, Mitchell, Round.
    Leo
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    When the article says that we've signed him on a two year contract, does that mean the contract starts next season? I'm assuming so, but it doesn't explicitly say so. Or is there a chance that he'll be running around in the NEAFL, sometime in the next few weeks?
    Irishman Barry O’Connor has agreed to terms on a Sydney Swans contract and will begin his AFL journey at the start of the 2020 pre-season.
    O'Connor set to sign with Swans - sydneyswans.com.au

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Yes, you are correct that many are tried and few succeed but when they are free hits get them in, only costs $ and there's no shortage of that.

After due diligence of course :-)
    They aren't entirely free hits because the club has a limited number of Cat B rookie spots. We don't have any standouts in this year's academy pool (ie no Blakey, Mills or Heeney) but I reckon there are quite a few that look like they might be worthy of a year in the system on the rookie list. Of course, the club can fill its normal rookie list (Cat A) with such players but as "free hits" they compete with anyone else who qualifies as a Cat B rookie for 3 spots. Two are currently occupied by Bell and Wicks, though only Wicks can stay as a Cat B rookie next year.

Swans sign Irishman Barry O'Connor!

I spent two weeks in Ireland last year, including in Barry’s home county Wexford for their annual opera festival. (Where they do rarely performed and little known operas to an international audience, in a beautiful purpose-built opera house. I highly recommend it to opera lovers.)

While stopping to view one of the many spectacular sights along the Ring of Kerry I talked to this man with his menagerie of animals. He asked me where I was from. ‘Sydney, Australia’, I said. Immediately he sang out ‘Sydney Swans!’. I was very taken aback - but when I asked him how he knew about the Swans he said ‘Tadgh Kennelly’.

Seems Tadgh is a hero to the footy-mad Kerry population. Let’s hope Barry (and Colin) become equally famous.

IMG_8698.jpg
    Last edited by Meg; 5th June 2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Irishman Barry O’Connor has agreed to terms on a Sydney Swans contract and will begin his AFL journey at the start of the 2020 pre-season.
    O'Connor set to sign with Swans - sydneyswans.com.au
    Good. I like that time frame. Gives him plenty of time to practice skills and absorb tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Great.
    Three Irishmen at the club.
    We need a translator.
    I think I can help out since I'm a Wizard of Gaelic English. I'll have to find my business card - that one that says:

LUDWIG, PhD., WoGE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    They aren't entirely free hits.
    More like cheap shots.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I was. Thanks Bs
    Now there's an unfortunate abbreviation!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I spent two weeks in Ireland last year, including in Wexford for their annual opera festival. (Where they do rarely performed and little know operas to an international audience, in a beautiful purpose-built opera house. I highly recommend it to opera lovers.)

While stopping to view one of the many spectacular sights along the Ring of Kerry I talked to this man with his menagerie of animals. He asked me where I was from. ‘Sydney, Australia’, I said. Immediately he sang out ‘Sydney Swans!’. I was very taken aback - but when I asked him how he knew about the Swans he said ‘Tadgh Kennelly’.

Seems Tadgh is a hero to the footy-mad Kerry population. Let’s hope Barry (and Colin) become equally famous.

IMG_8698.jpg
    Great little story Meg!
    And remember, Tadhg's last letters are the same as H G Nelson's first 2 initials
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Thanks for clarifying Liz and great story Meg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast