Thread: One Tony Lockett

One Tony Lockett

Legend. Made me a Swan for life. (It's 20 years to the day since Tony Lockett became the first player to kick 1300 goals.)

'There's Only One Tony Lockett' - Channel Seven video clip - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Swanstubbs View Post
    Legend. Made me a Swan for life. (It's 20 years to the day since Tony Lockett became the first player to kick 1300 goals.)

'There's Only One Tony Lockett' - Channel Seven video clip - YouTube
    Great song! I’ve got a copy of it on CD (it has a couple of versions of the song) and Plugger signed the cover for me

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...06-goo9cq.html

This was the first game I remember watching. Plugger kicked a behind after the siren and the Swans were through to the 1996 GF. I was glued to the screen and remember chiding myself for not watching Aussie Rules earlier. That day saw me turn my back on rugby league forever. Thank you Plugger!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Great song! I’ve got a copy of it on CD (it has a couple of versions of the song) and Plugger signed the cover for me
    Nice. I'm assuming it's in the pool room.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm so glad I'll probably never see that record broken.
    He's such a nice bloke. Love him to the moon and back.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post

This was the first game I remember watching. Plugger kicked a behind after the siren and the Swans were through to the 1996 GF. I was glued to the screen and remember chiding myself for not watching Aussie Rules earlier. That day saw me turn my back on rugby league forever. Thank you Plugger!
    I have a memory of the match being commemorated this week, when Plugger kicked his 1300th goal:

It was one of the first matches I ever attended. I took a girl who not longer later became my second girlfriend. She said she knew I was in to her when I produced a thermos of tea and some Scotch Finger biscuits (I was an impoverished uni student at the time) and broke them in half to share with her and gave her the BIGGER HALF. When Plugger kicked his 1300th and everyone streamed onto the ground I didn't have much idea what was going on. I think we belatedly joined the throngs in the middle of the SCG but didn't get anywhere near the great man. But it was fun! My memory is a bit hazy. I can't remember other details about the game or even if this was the first game I attended or not - I have a feeling that I had been to another couple and enjoyed them and that's why I was emboldened to invite my mate but I'm not sure. Anyway, it was that period in the late 90s where my ever-growing passion for the Swans was ignited.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Nice. I'm assuming it's in the pool room.
    Along with the boots he wore in his last game of the 1997 season

So many things that need displaying, so little space!

I'm so glad I'll probably never see that record broken.
    Given that players struggle to kick 80 goals a season these days, a full forward would have to break Brent Harvey’s games record to have any chance of catching a glimpse of Plugger’s goals record.

He's such a nice bloke. Love him to the moon and back.
    Indeed

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I still really enjoy that song. Footy was more fun then.

It also reminds me of a piece of medical trivia that fascinates proctologists to this day. Apparently alleged Fullback of the Century Stephen Silvagni has a world record 17 arseholes, because of all the new ones Plugger ripped him when they played on each other. In comparison, Mick Martyn has a relatively modest 12 arseholes.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I still really enjoy that song. Footy was more fun then.

It also reminds me of a piece of medical trivia that fascinates proctologists to this day. Apparently alleged Fullback of the Century Stephen Silvagni has a world record 17 arseholes, because of all the new ones Plugger ripped him when they played on each other. In comparison, Mick Martyn has a relatively modest 12 arseholes.
    Perhaps SOS has more now, if you count some of the players that he's brought to Carlton?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Perhaps SOS has more now, if you count some of the players that he's brought to Carlton?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post

Me too, re turning point. I started to really get into AFL in 95-96 after a rugby league upbringing. There was a storm in my part of Sydney the night before; fallen trees on my street brought the power lines down. I walked up our street and watched the lines be repaired, with the work completed a couple of hours left before the game started.