Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 12 Swans v Eagles Sun 9-Jun at SCG #AFLSwansEagles @sydneyswans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Quickest. Rebuild. Ever.
    Might be a little early to call us "rebuilt". We've played one seriously great game this year.

This article attempts to figure out what's changed with the Swans in the last five weeks.

Stats Files: The simple tweaks behind Sydney's funk snap, Cats' Mr Effective - AFL.com.au

... The Swans were the League's worst contested possession team, three years after that statistic was one of the bedrocks of their most-recent Grand Final appearance. No team drove the ball inside 50 less or was worse at keeping the ball in its forward half.

Fast-forward to the present, and Sydney has banked three more victories and lost since to only the AFL's top two sides, Geelong (22 points) and Collingwood (seven). Interestingly, none of those three aforementioned problems were solved in this successful period...

So what's happened in the Harbour City to explain the Swans snapping out of their funk? In simplistic terms, they're handballing and playing on from marks less, kicking longer more often and their scoring efficiency inside 50 is through the roof.

Kennedy and Jones haven't been missed as much as expected, either, because of others' ability to increase their output with the extra responsibility that's come their way.

Three midfielders, in particular – co-captain Luke Parker, George Hewett and Oliver Florent – warrant highlighting here. Florent's gradual introduction to the centre-square set-up was something Longmire foreshadowed on season eve, but it's been a slow burn.

Key forward Sam Reid perfectly sums up the Swans' change in fortunes in the time periods, registering spikes in goals (2.2, up from 0.9), contested marks (2.4, 1.4) and marks inside 50 (2.6, 1.7).

Lockdown defender Dane Rampe's 80 disposals across the past three rounds are the most he's ever won from that sample size.

Elsewhere, reigning All Australian half-back Jake Lloyd remains steady at what is easily his career-high disposal rate of 32.1 disposals (up from his previous best of 27.8).

Tom Papley is having a breakout season in possessions (16.7) and goals (1.8), while third-year Sturt product Jordan Dawson is Sydney's biggest improver.

Only time will tell whether this is a false dawn or the early stages of the next bright Sydney era, but either way, there is life in a season many wrote off five weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Rose, as is his want, had some great moments and some godawful moments - but what I loved was a willingness to go out of his comfort zone (centre square, one on one with Ryan) and have a real crack. He played like someone that's desperate to keep his spot and you can't ask much more than that.
    I was happy to see Rose get in there and have a red hot go - helped by the fact the coaches gave him a chance to impress in midfield, where has played a large portion of his footy for the last couple of seasons in reserves. Still had a few moments where you thought 'that's why he hasn't been getting a game in seniors', but I was pleased overall. Definitely deserves to keep his place and see if he can build on it.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This article attempts to figure out what's changed with the Swans in the last five weeks.

Stats Files: The simple tweaks behind Sydney's funk snap, Cats' Mr Effective - AFL.com.au

... The Swans were the League's worst contested possession team, three years after that statistic was one of the bedrocks of their most-recent Grand Final appearance. No team drove the ball inside 50 less or was worse at keeping the ball in its forward half.

Fast-forward to the present, and Sydney has banked three more victories and lost since to only the AFL's top two sides, Geelong (22 points) and Collingwood (seven). Interestingly, none of those three aforementioned problems were solved in this successful period...

So what's happened in the Harbour City to explain the Swans snapping out of their funk? In simplistic terms, they're handballing and playing on from marks less, kicking longer more often and their scoring efficiency inside 50 is through the roof.

Kennedy and Jones haven't been missed as much as expected, either, because of others' ability to increase their output with the extra responsibility that's come their way.

Three midfielders, in particular – co-captain Luke Parker, George Hewett and Oliver Florent – warrant highlighting here. Florent's gradual introduction to the centre-square set-up was something Longmire foreshadowed on season eve, but it's been a slow burn.

Key forward Sam Reid perfectly sums up the Swans' change in fortunes in the time periods, registering spikes in goals (2.2, up from 0.9), contested marks (2.4, 1.4) and marks inside 50 (2.6, 1.7).

Lockdown defender Dane Rampe's 80 disposals across the past three rounds are the most he's ever won from that sample size.

Elsewhere, reigning All Australian half-back Jake Lloyd remains steady at what is easily his career-high disposal rate of 32.1 disposals (up from his previous best of 27.8).

Tom Papley is having a breakout season in possessions (16.7) and goals (1.8), while third-year Sturt product Jordan Dawson is Sydney's biggest improver.

Only time will tell whether this is a false dawn or the early stages of the next bright Sydney era, but either way, there is life in a season many wrote off five weeks ago.
    The development of Florent is very exciting to watch. Love his ability to find space and burn players through clever movement, and positioning is top notch. That kid can really play.

As for Hewett - he shows what patience can do. Has been very good for 2 or 3 years imho, but looks like he is taking a step to the next level now.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

We are two games and % out of the top 8 ( port are 8th). We would need to win another 7 with good % boost, or 8 to make it.
    We are not without a chance. Play fellow 8th contender next game (Hawks).
    Dare to dream!

And they are are paying 66/1 (gamble responsibly!) last time I looked.... to go all the way.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Papley, yep, looks like a player who wants to go to Vic at the end of the year. Never seen a more invested player. Really, who dreams up these player movement rumours?
    Whenever a Victorian Swans player has a great game someone in the Victorian media likes to say 'He'll be on the radar of the Victorian clubs next year' They said the same thing after the Carlton game when Zac Jones played really well. They've said it about Luke Parker as well. Typical media noise.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I was happy to see Rose get in there and have a red hot go - helped by the fact the coaches gave him a chance to impress in midfield, where has played a large portion of his footy for the last couple of seasons in reserves. Still had a few moments where you thought 'that's why he hasn't been getting a game in seniors', but I was pleased overall. Definitely deserves to keep his place and see if he can build on it.
    So many positives from Sunday. I agree about Rose's 'moments', but what impressed me was when he tried to square up the ball through the corridor and it was intercepted, he worked hard to effect a spoil in the backs. It's one thing to effect a turnover - it's another thing to take responsibility and try and get the ball back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    So many positives from Sunday. I agree about Rose's 'moments', but what impressed me was when he tried to square up the ball through the corridor and it was intercepted, he worked hard to effect a spoil in the backs. It's one thing to effect a turnover - it's another thing to take responsibility and try and get the ball back.
    Yep there were a couple of times where he made mistakes of some kind, that he took responsibility to immediately try and make up for it. That impressed me a lot, and demonstrates that maybe he sees this as a 'last chance saloon' and is determined to do his best to take the chance.

A wonderful, wonderful game. Even though he didn't star, I continued to be impressed with Nick Blakey. My impression was that he covered a lot of ground and really threw himself into tackles and putting pressure on the ball and the man.

Dawson and Hewett have been tremendous this year (in Hewett's case after a slightly slow start) and I agree with the assessment that we need and want Dawson even more than Jones.

Some either highlights from the day - kick2kick is always great but there were so many people it was nuts. Not much space for kicking. Getting to meet some of the fringe players at the after match function was great too. Michael Knoll came across really well and then I had the pleasure of introducing him to Mike Pyke because Knoll didn't know who he was and I thought they have a bit in common. Sam Naismith played a very straight bat when I asked him about the club recruiting new rucks whereas Cody Hirst came across, as you'd expect, as more candid and less formulaic in his conversation.

Loved having the opportunity to farewell Reg and to see Rampe chaired off the ground at the end to celebrate his 150th. Bring on the Hawks!!

The development of Florent is very exciting to watch. Love his ability to find space and burn players through clever movement, and positioning is top notch. That kid can really play.

As for Hewett - he shows what patience can do. Has been very good for 2 or 3 years imho, but looks like he is taking a step to the next level now.
    +1

Yep there were a couple of times where he made mistakes of some kind, that he took responsibility to immediately try and make up for it. That impressed me a lot, and demonstrates that maybe he sees this as a 'last chance saloon' and is determined to do his best to take the chance.
    Yes after that overly ambitious cross field clanger Rose went back and won a HTB decision in our defensive 50. Blakey is another that likes to clean up his own mess.

Although weirdly Rose is credited with 0 tackles and 0 frees for in the stats. Does anyone else remember seeing that?