Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 12 weekly discussion thread

Regular in the Side
    Toby was not playing.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Toby was not playing.
    That's outrageous then. Couldn't happen to a nicer team though.

Veterans List
    Rioli offered a one match ban for his tackle on COR and the same for Vardy for his hit on Thurlow.....

Eagles pair slapped with bans, four players fined - AFL.com.au

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Collingwood players wearing black armbands for the passing of ex-President Alan McAllister.

Significant for us because he was President when Collingwood used its influence to keep our club alive in the 90s when we were in danger of being terminated.

Sure, they didn't do it for us - they did it to thwart Carlton who had plans to move into the Sydney market when we "disappeared" - but I thought McAllister's passing was worth a mention here.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Collingwood players wearing black armbands for the passing of ex-President Alan McAllister.

Significant for us because he was President when Collingwood used its influence to keep our club alive in the 90s when we were in danger of being terminated.

Sure, they didn't do it for us - they did it to thwart Carlton who had plans to move into the Sydney market when we "disappeared" - but I thought McAllister's passing was worth a mention here.
    Admittedly, it was one of the only times a self serving Collingwood president did anything that helped the Swans.....but help us it did and at least he wasn't a total pain in the A like the current Magpie president.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Rioli offered a one match ban for his tackle on COR and the same for Vardy for his hit on Thurlow.....

Eagles pair slapped with bans, four players fined - AFL.com.au
    There are four categories for classifying impact: low, medium, high, severe.

COR’s head was slammed into the ground, rendering him momentarily unconscious and needing to be helped from the ground in a dazed state, and then being ruled out for the rest of the match with concussion.

That should be classified as high impact in my view - and Rioli should have got two matches not one.

Seems to me that the AFL have gone soft on head-high contact at a time when we are learning more and more about the long-term health risk of concussion injury.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Admittedly, it was one of the only times a self serving Collingwood president did anything that helped the Swans.....but help us it did and at least he wasn't a total pain in the A like the current Magpie president.
    He was the guy who said he had no qualms with indigenous players as long as they acted like white people. (Has anything changed??)
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Seems to me that the AFL have gone soft on head-high contact at a time when we are learning more and more about the long-term health risk of concussion injury.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    He was the guy who said he had no qualms with indigenous players as long as they acted like white people. (Has anything changed??)
    Yep, that was Big Al...

Veterans List

COR’s head was slammed into the ground, rendering him momentarily unconscious and needing to be helped from the ground in a dazed state, and then being ruled out for the rest of the match with concussion.

That should be classified as high impact in my view - and Rioli should have got two matches not one.

+1 .....It does seem strange that the MRP cannot stick to it's head protecting mantra for more than a season.....COR not a headline act (while Rioli is)?
    Last edited by stevoswan; 10th June 2019 at 06:27 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. IIRC, there was plenty of public agreement with this outdated train of thought as well, with talk of Indigenous boys 'going walkabout' during games etc. Lots of stereotyping of a minority group.....so no, not a lot has changed in certain circles.

Senior Player

How can slamming a person's head into the ground, rendering him unconscious, be 'medium' impact. If the grading was properly applied, it requires amendment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast