Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 14 v Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I've got a big wrap on Rose. He has all the skills, can pretty much play anywhere. That goal he kicked against the Eagles just sums up what he is capable of. He dominates NEAFL even more than Mitchell did. He just needs a decent stint in seniors to get his confidence up, very much in the same way as Dawson.
    I'm prepared to run with this idea - let's find out what he can do

It's taken a bit of time for Rose to work through some weaknesses in his game, but it seems like he's done it. He had a very good 2nd half to the season last year and has continued on this year. He does a lot of things well and has a nice bag of tricks, which can separate the ordinary players from the better ones.

If we count the addition of Barry O'Connor, we now sit at 48 players on our list. Since we can only have a max of 47, there will have to be a fair bit of culling, especially if we have any thoughts of adding a high quality player through trade or free agency. If we project the retirements of McVeigh, Jack and Smith, we still have 45 players.

The point of this being that we need to take a good look at Rose and decide if we want to extend his contract. He'll need a stint in the seniors to give it a fair chance. I'm leaning toward keeping him, but would like to see him get a run of games in the AFL.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Stratton got two games, one for each offence so I doubt Hawks will pinch the game from us this week!
    I saw what you did there, 707.

Rose actually made a few totally unforced errors vs the eagles ie especially that 40m kick across field 3rd qtr to space the eagles ran into and scored

But

I must say he had to jump from role to role in that game against a serious team

So I’ll cut him a little slack

I liked his contribution overall and gives us serious depth for multiple roles

You almost wonder (after some more tight run with roles if needed in the Snr team) whether he could adapt to a role like Sicily has done at the Hawks ?

Ie Loose med tall high marking defender that takes the game

OUT : McVeigh, Thurlow

IN : Jones, Kennedy

Dropping Rose now would all but end his time at the Swans...He's got plenty to offer and deserves a good run at it.

Hayward's form has been below par so no reason to rush him back in.

The point of difference, from our established players, with COR and Rose, is they look to attack with ball in hand.

Sure they'll make some mistakes, but it makes us a far less predictable team....And much more fun to watch.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I know some posters keep mentioning Rose's cross into the centre that was turned over but there were two major positives which we all harp on about, (a) the kid was taking a risk to open the game up on the other side of the ground and (b) he absolutely hurtled back on the turnover to spoil the Eagles pack which to me says the kid has a bit of character. Let's give him a run instead of Jack or McVeigh to see if he cuts the mustard as my fear is that we may be lost like Darcy Cameron will be lost to us without actually being given a fair crack at it. I still believe that Luke Vogels would have been a good player for us!! Membrey is the one for me that burns!

IN: Jack, Hannebery ... no hang on, that was 2018. I think Horse has learnt that lesson.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    IN: Jack, Hannebery ... no hang on, that was 2018. I think Horse has learnt that lesson.
    We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Rose actually made a few totally unforced errors vs the eagles ie especially that 40m kick across field 3rd qtr to space the eagles ran into and scored
    He was trying to take the game on with that kick, yes it didn't come off, but I like the fact he tried. So much better than the boring long down the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I've got a big wrap on Rose. He has all the skills, can pretty much play anywhere. That goal he kicked against the Eagles just sums up what he is capable of. He dominates NEAFL even more than Mitchell did. He just needs a decent stint in seniors to get his confidence up, very much in the same way as Dawson.
    Spot on.

Given JPK and Jones are the only likely ones back (Haywood to play reserves), I would suggest the changes be:

In: JPK, Jones
    Out: McVeigh, Thurlow

Regular in the Side
    I think Hayward will come in before Jones. We will see tonight but if fit I expect both Hayward and Jones to be named.

Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    I know some posters keep mentioning Rose's cross into the centre that was turned over but there were two major positives which we all harp on about, (a) the kid was taking a risk to open the game up on the other side of the ground and (b) he absolutely hurtled back on the turnover to spoil the Eagles pack which to me says the kid has a bit of character. Let's give him a run instead of Jack or McVeigh to see if he cuts the mustard ...
    Snork is one of a number who have argued for Rose being given another go. I'm also in that camp. He seems to have character attributes as well as skills that could make him a useful player at the top level. And as others have argued, even if he were given a chance and it was then seen that he couldn't deliver at that level, the process would let the club and the player know where he's at and so be consistent with fairness when decisions have to be made at the year's end. So I hope he runs around with the firsts again tomorrow night, and that he does well.

Veterans List
    I agree with all those saying Rose should stay for now.....he deserves a more extended run for his contracts sake!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast