Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 14 v Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Stratton got two games, one for each offence so I doubt Hawks will pinch the game from us this week!
    Yes, it seems that Stratton's game has been nipped in the bud. Which I much prefer, to him spending the game nipping Bud.

With the emergence of Dawson, Hewett and Oli as solid midfield contributors, Mills' best spot for us is as a medium defender, perhaps in the Mattner mould. He's certainly playing much better of late and perhaps this could be because he has more certainty to where he will be playing now that the midfield is performing well.
    Speaking of playing well, Paps is reminding me of Paul Chapman. Crafty up forward then moving into the midfield, pinch hitting to devastating effect.
    One change this week for me. JPK for Macca. The others can come back through NEAFL - the team deserves another go after their last cracking performance.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    With the emergence of Dawson, Hewett and Oli as solid midfield contributors, Mills' best spot for us is as a medium defender, perhaps in the Mattner mould. He's certainly playing much better of late and perhaps this could be because he has more certainty to where he will be playing now that the midfield is performing well.
    Speaking of playing well, Paps is reminding me of Paul Chapman. Crafty up forward then moving into the midfield, pinch hitting to devastating effect.
    One change this week for me. JPK for Macca. The others can come back through NEAFL - the team deserves another go after their last cracking performance.
    Agree 100%. Great effort last game and a virtual unchanged side should be their reward. Even give Rose another run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    No disrespect to Marty as he's a premiership hero and was a great soldier for us, but if that's Mills ceiling as a player then that would be extremely disappointing given the way he was talked up prior to his draft

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    No disrespect to Marty as he's a premiership hero and was a great soldier for us, but if that's Mills ceiling as a player then that would be extremely disappointing given the way he was talked up prior to his draft
    Expectations on a player at 17 are unfair. I pity the high draft picks who go top 5 and fans are disappointed if they dont become the next Chris Judd. Just look at GWS and the number of top picks they have which have never eventuated to much (at GWS or who moved on to other clubs)

Forget for a moment what the expectations were at 17. If you could only judge Mills by his last 3 years of work, Marty Mattner would be a realistic goal.

I know we all dislike him but how about Luke Hodge then? I'm thinking someone who can play on most sorts of forwards, run and carry and spend a bit of time when required in the midfield.

Senior Player
    I know we all dislike him but how about Luke Hodge then? I'm thinking someone who can play on most sorts of forwards, run and carry and spend a bit of time when required in the midfield.
    Now that would be nice, but your talking about a player with 2 Norm Smiths, 4 All Australian Selections, and 2 club B&Fs (not to mention 4 premierships, 3 as captain).

Mills is still only 22 and has time on his side, but at his current trajectory he isn't anywhere close to the standard of Luke Hodge (very few are)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Agree with this, and I don't think we are in a position to judge until he has a decent go in the middle, especially when that was the widely accepted reason for picking him.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I really hope Rose gets another game.

He was a big part in making us more attacking, which in turn made us a better team.

Regular in the Side
    Our attacking mindset was caused in part by having three defenders, McVeigh, Thurlow and COR off the ground. Agree Rose has earned another chance but with Kennedy, Jones and Hayward all to come in, who do you leave out. McVeigh, Thurlow and ?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Scully never has been damaging. O'Meara has been providing a lot of their drive in the middle but you're right, Henderson has been a surprise packet this year (for a Crows cast off!)
    Clarke has gone to the outside runners previously (Sidebottom, Higgins, Gaff etc.) so I would expect him to go to Henderson, who is more damaging with the ball than O'Meara. Hewett can go head-to-head with him.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Agree Rose has earned another chance but with Kennedy, Jones and Hayward all to come in, who do you leave out. McVeigh, Thurlow and ?
    I would only bring Kennedy and Jones in. Hayward can play through the NEAFL and earn his spot back.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I really hope Rose gets another game.

He was a big part in making us more attacking, which in turn made us a better team.
    I've got a big wrap on Rose. He has all the skills, can pretty much play anywhere. That goal he kicked against the Eagles just sums up what he is capable of. He dominates NEAFL even more than Mitchell did. He just needs a decent stint in seniors to get his confidence up, very much in the same way as Dawson.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast