Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 90

Thread: #AFL Round 13 weekly discussion thread

  1. #13
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    3,894
    Any thoughts on the Sydney Stack/Eddie Betts hug from last nights game?

    Personally, I thought it was fantastic! Game was effectively over.....I don't get those on Twitter having a go at Stack. Considering the banter between he and Betts during the game re: Stack telling Betts "No special goals for you tonight" and Eddie promising him "I'll get one", it was almost inevitable. I don't think Hardwick would have a problem with it.

  2. #14
    Another storm in a teacup.

  3. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Any thoughts on the Sydney Stack/Eddie Betts hug from last nights game?

    Personally, I thought it was fantastic! Game was effectively over.....I don't get those on Twitter having a go at Stack. Considering the banter between he and Betts during the game re: Stack telling Betts "No special goals for you tonight" and Eddie promising him "I'll get one", it was almost inevitable. I don't think Hardwick would have a problem with it.
    I didn't see the game but, for myself, I agree with you. It was fantastic. I doubt his teammates would mind but, if they did, that is a critical factor. If the players can be allowed to acknowledge that it is, in the end, just a game then hopefully some of that can rub off on overzealous supporters too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    BTW, what a gift to the game Sydney Stack is! Wish we'd picked him up in supplemental draft.

  4. #16
    scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    peaches eaten, trousers rolled
    Posts
    9,438
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Any thoughts on the Sydney Stack/Eddie Betts hug from last nights game?

    Personally, I thought it was fantastic! Game was effectively over.....I don't get those on Twitter having a go at Stack. Considering the banter between he and Betts during the game re: Stack telling Betts "No special goals for you tonight" and Eddie promising him "I'll get one", it was almost inevitable. I don't think Hardwick would have a problem with it.
    I thought it was wonderful. Sometimes wowzers just want to say wow.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

  5. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I thought it was wonderful. Sometimes wowzers just want to say wow.
    Just saw vision of two blokes wearing vests saying Behaviour Awareness Officer walking around at Marvel Stadium
    AFL now officially a clown show

  6. #18
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Just saw vision of two blokes wearing vests saying Behaviour Awareness Officer walking around at Marvel Stadium
    AFL now officially a clown show
    Yes, I saw that too and also some patrons being evicted....and footage of the 'mild abuse police' menacingly walking up and down the aisles watching people....it was a farce. This league is going potty. Fair enough for racist abuse and aggressive swearing but I believe the crowds were doing a decent job of calling that out and having them evicted anyway. Typical knee jerk over the top reaction from a bunch of dumb suits.....

  7. #19
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    3,652
    Ok, I’m going to disagree with BF and ss - and probably a majority.

    As someone who always goes to test cricket and ODI matches at the SCG I am very used to security & police walking up and down the aisles. And I don’t have any problem with it.

    It is very unpleasant to be sitting in a group of spectators, usually men fuelled by alcohol, who are yelling abuse at players and umpires, and sometimes at opposition fans as well. Remember the 2014 GF and the appalling behaviour of Hawthorn fans?

    Everyone should be able to go to the footy, including families with children, without feeling intimidated. Umpires and players should not have to put up with abuse.

    And why would fans who do neither of those things, who simply enthusiastically support their teams, feel threatened by the presence of security staff?

  8. #20
    I’m confused about this abuse. What is now unacceptable? Can you really not call an umpire a “bald headed flog” or “green maggot” Without being ejected? What happened to freedom of speech, or does it not exist at games of AFL?

    Fans need to be able to express their opinions of players and umpires. Richard Hinds was on the money that the umpires are copping it for the constant tinkering of the AFL with the rules.

    But if you can’t criticise an umpire, then in fact it’s the fans who copping it and left without a voice.

  9. #21
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Can you really not call an umpire a “bald headed flog” or “green maggot” Without being ejected?
    I didn’t follow that incident closely so correct me if this is wrong - but wasn’t the problem not so much what was said but that the umpire felt intimidated by the spectator running down to the fence and screaming those words at him close up?

  10. #22
    That’s the other question. Who decides / adjudicates?

    The fan in question has denied moving out of their seat.

    There needs to be natural justice.

  11. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ok, I’m going to disagree with BF and ss - and probably a majority.

    As someone who always goes to test cricket and ODI matches at the SCG I am very used to security & police walking up and down the aisles. And I don’t have any problem with it.

    It is very unpleasant to be sitting in a group of spectators, usually men fuelled by alcohol, who are yelling abuse at players and umpires, and sometimes at opposition fans as well. Remember the 2014 GF and the appalling behaviour of Hawthorn fans?

    Everyone should be able to go to the footy, including families with children, without feeling intimidated. Umpires and players should not have to put up with abuse.

    And why would fans who do neither of those things, who simply enthusiastically support their teams, feel threatened by the presence of security staff?
    Security people I have no problem with in trouble spots. Orwellian thought police for minor cancelling is something else

    - - - Updated - - -

    Meant catcalling

  12. #24
    There is a line. 99 percent of people passionately support their team. Yelling, fist pumping, mild umpire name calling. It's all part of the experience. I've also seen fist fights and heard homophobic and racist remarks at the footy. People that behave like this should be banned because it is not part of footy or civil society, for that matter.

    When you read this...

    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p51y56.html

    ... it makes it seem like violence is out of control at the footy. It isn't. Going to the footy now is a very safe and non-confronting experience compared to 20 years ago.

    The bigger problem feels like people being unsure, even afraid to barrack for their team because of threatening security people enforcing ambiguous rules no one asked for. The underlying reason is AFL over reacting to events because they are paranoid about their brand being tarnished. Agency effect too - people paid to enforce security always overreach.

    In balance, and on principal, I'll accept that some people will cross the line occasionally if it means less quasi fascist thugs in uniforms prowling the stands.

    I can't help but join the dots between the raids on journalists fron the feds, the head of home affairs intimidating a senator and a new job created called a Behaviour Awareness Officer. Civil liberties can and are being eroded.

    Sign of the times.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO