Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 13 weekly discussion thread

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ok, I’m going to disagree with BF and ss - and probably a majority.

As someone who always goes to test cricket and ODI matches at the SCG I am very used to security & police walking up and down the aisles. And I don’t have any problem with it.

It is very unpleasant to be sitting in a group of spectators, usually men fuelled by alcohol, who are yelling abuse at players and umpires, and sometimes at opposition fans as well. Remember the 2014 GF and the appalling behaviour of Hawthorn fans?

Everyone should be able to go to the footy, including families with children, without feeling intimidated. Umpires and players should not have to put up with abuse.

And why would fans who do neither of those things, who simply enthusiastically support their teams, feel threatened by the presence of security staff?
    Couldn't agree more Meg. One of the things I have come to enjoy in going to matches is the sight of families coming to the footy, often with dad wearing one set of colours and mum wearing the other set, together with children who have chosen one side or t'other. If we descend into barbarism (like some club members I could mention) we will lose these people, which would do more to hurt the game than perhaps any other factor.

Another thing is the genuine badinage that goes on between followers of different clubs, and I emphatically do NOT mean swearing and abuse. I will never forget pushing out of my seat to escape from the debacle of our loss to Carlton two seasons ago and saying to one of their supporters as I pushed past, "Well done your blokes." He beamed and said "Thanks". That's a bit of trivia but I think it is important that we can connect at that level, even with a club for which I have no particular feeling. Mrs d habitually chats with people from other clubs sitting nearby and has never been met with anything other than appreciation.

And I love to see the onfield warriors express their respect for each other. It's a great gesture.

Violent and/or drunken abuse should be shut down. It happens when people pull out their mobiles and tell what's going on. I very much prefer that approach rather than just put up with it. That's a balanced approach by the AFL, and is a long way from the "good old days" when people pulled off fence pickets and set to, or a North granny pulled out her umbrella and tripped an umpire (there's a famous photo of that one).
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Like I’ve previously stated on here I follow my local side and don’t follow AFL much anymore, have over this weekend due to my side having a bye.

I stood/sat at our Grand Final last year cheering, complaining about umpiring decisions, fist pumping and the occasional exchange with the opposition supporters in a good fun way. This game involved us winning the unwinnable GF with the crowd storming onto the ground in excitement when the siren went. And watching a few games of AFL and reading a bit of media this weekend i realised there would have been a number of evictions from our GF.

It’s a sport, it’s not a quiet night at the opera with polite clapping and whispering to each other.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Like I’ve previously stated on here I follow my local side and don’t follow AFL much anymore, have over this weekend due to my side having a bye.

I stood/sat at our Grand Final last year cheering, complaining about umpiring decisions, fist pumping and the occasional exchange with the opposition supporters in a good fun way. This game involved us winning the unwinnable GF with the crowd storming onto the ground in excitement when the siren went. And watching a few games of AFL and reading a bit of media this weekend i realised there would have been a number of evictions from our GF.

It’s a sport, it’s not a quiet night at the opera with polite clapping and whispering to each other.
    You describe an atmosphere that has been a part of our community culture for many years. The sight of the Behaviour Awareness Officers sent a shiver up my spine. There have been measures in place for ages to deal with anti social behaviour and rightly so but this development is over the top. I had a similar reaction when I first saw the Border Patrol officers, dressed in black, walking around the CBD of Melbourne in numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    You describe an atmosphere that has been a part of our community culture for many years. The sight of the Behaviour Awareness Officers sent a shiver up my spine. There have been measures in place for ages to deal with anti social behaviour and rightly so but this development is over the top. I had a similar reaction when I first saw the Border Patrol officers, dressed in black, walking around the CBD of Melbourne in numbers.
    Who decides what’s anti social behaviour? Every normal person would agree swearing or physical interaction in a violent manner is definitely anti social but what about comments to umpires to indicate you don’t agree with their decision. I’ve yelled a number of times “ what game are you watching umpy”. A very small minority would say it’s anti social to criticise umpires in any way.

I’d say it’s not anti social but with the way you can report anti social behaviour at AFL games via text it becomes the minority decides what’s acceptable.

Senior Player
    Who decides what’s anti social behaviour? Every normal person would agree swearing or physical interaction in a violent manner is definitely anti social but what about comments to umpires to indicate you don’t agree with their decision. I’ve yelled a number of times “ what game are you watching umpy”. A very small minority would say it’s anti social to criticise umpires in any way.

I’d say it’s not anti social but with the way you can report anti social behaviour at AFL games via text it becomes the minority decides what’s acceptable.
    It also begs the question about what type of person ends up working as a BAO? Also, what sort of training do they get and who provides it? Yelling out in disagreement at the umpire is part of the theatre of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    It also begs the question about what type of person ends up working as a BAO? Also, what sort of training do they get and who provides it? Yelling out in disagreement at the umpire is part of the theatre of the game.
    Cert 2 in security - crowd control. Having been involved in running sporting events in my previous sporting life it’s not hard to obtain. Most people who work in this field either are a gym junkie, uni student or just looking for any work. Most times it’s not a life long career, it’s a way to pay bills.

The issue is not them it’s the company running the security operation via the event co-ordinator that decides what’s acceptable or not acceptable. They outline pre event what’s acceptable and debrief after the event how they preformed.

Most times the organisation running the event outlines what they would like. In this instance it’d be the AFL. They can say they haven’t all they want but do people seriously believe companies running events don’t get a say in how their events are run in regards to safety and security? There would be clauses in their security management contracts that allows them a say in how crowd control is policed. And that clause will be used this week to change how crowds are managed from a security/safety point of view.

And secondly Marvel stadium management have indicated they’ve increased security. Who owns marvel?

Like I’ve said swearing and physical violence is just not on but if you take away the theatre of the game which includes crowds why would anyone go.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the year everyone. Hope you all enjoy your season, I’ll keep an eye out to see how Sydney goes but hopefully with a bit of luck my local side goes back to back in the middle of September.

All the best 👍

Ps from the small bits I’ve seen of Sydney it’s not all doom n gloom. An easier draw and games into the younger brigade with some luck injury wise n I’d say finals again next year.

Senior Player
    Anyway good luck for the rest of the year everyone. Hope you all enjoy your season, I’ll keep an eye out to see how Sydney goes but hopefully with a bit of luck my local side goes back to back in the middle of September.

All the best 👍

Ps from the small bits I’ve seen of Sydney it’s not all doom n gloom. An easier draw and games into the younger brigade with some luck injury wise n I’d say finals again next year.
    Keep in touch!

Veterans List
    The security pacing up and down the aisles has been going on for the last 10 years at the MCG and Marvel. Last week I was at the MCG and it didn't seem to be more frequent. Although I've never seen those Behavioural Officers before and their introduction seems an overreaction.

I wonder if more people are texting the anti social behaviour number and this is leading to more evictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The security pacing up and down the aisles has been going on for the last 10 years at the MCG and Marvel. Last week I was at the MCG and it didn't seem to be more frequent. Although I've never seen those Behavioural Officers before and their introduction seems an overreaction.

I wonder if more people are texting the anti social behaviour number and this is leading to more evictions.
    And the management at Marvel maintain that they haven't increased security numbers. Which is interesting. If that's correct, then maybe people are just noticing them more, because of the new, slightly Orwellian name? I mean, firing off an angry tweet about security guards at the football, will generally earn nothing but, 'so what'. But, some 'what's the world coming to', tweets, about behavioural awareness officers, then people are likely to pay much more attention.

I watched a bit of the Roosters game today, since the crowd at the SCG looked dire, I checked the numbers. It was 8,200. Perhaps the Roosters could save themselves a bit of money and transfer a few of their remaining games to North Sydney or Leichhardt? I imagine that would improve the surface for our games.

Senior Player
    What a bloody relief that's over, eh? Bring on Friday night.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast