Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 13 weekly discussion thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    From an Alistair Clarkson interview:
    "I'm bewildered, in a sense, by just how significant the discussion becomes on it … In terms of the severity of things that have happened on the football field, jeez, I think this is minor. I've been around footy a long time (and) if that's the worst thing that's happened on a footy field …I can't marry up the hysteria with the actual event."

Which is a classic straw man argument, where he inaccurately claims that people are saying that it's "the worst thing that's happened on the footy field", in order to portray those criticising Stratton, as somehow unhinged and hysterical. While it's possible that some people on social media have been a bit rabid, I don't think any actual commentator has labelled it, "the worst thing that's happened on the footy field". So what Clarkson's doing, is painting a false scenario, in order to discredit valid criticism. Criticism that rightly labels Stratton's actions as cynical and grubby cheating, which deserves to be punished.
    +1

Maybe all Clarkson is actually hearing is universal public and media agreement that this sort of crap doesn't belong in our game.....he'd be wise to listen for a change.

Veterans List
    Stratton gets two weeks....excellent, I thought he was only going to get one.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    I'm with you on this Nico. Raising an elbow like both Ziebell and Brown did shows intent. The result of the lifted elbow could be no damage or serious damage. Slight variation in timing could result in broken jaw, nose, eye socket. etc. Why is a player only sanctioned when there is some real damage? Does anyone remember Jeremy Camerons hit on Harris Andrews (Lions) last year? Camerons defence was "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt him"

What this tells players is that you can wack an opponent in the head and most likely get away with it. There's already enough head damage in AFL without intentional acts. What happened to the head being sacrosanct?
    Reckon Zeibel made a last second decision and couldn't resist when he saw it was Greene's head

Veterans List
    "I'm bewildered, in a sense, by just how significant the discussion becomes on it … In terms of the severity of things that have happened on the football field, jeez, I think this is minor. I've been around footy a long time (and) if that's the worst thing that's happened on a footy field …I can't marry up the hysteria with the actual event."

Which is a classic straw man argument, where he inaccurately claims that people are saying that it's "the worst thing that's happened on the footy field", in order to portray those criticising Stratton, as somehow unhinged and hysterical. While it's possible that some people on social media have been a bit rabid, I don't think any actual commentator has labelled it, "the worst thing that's happened on the footy field". So what Clarkson's doing, is painting a false scenario, in order to discredit valid criticism. Criticism that rightly labels Stratton's actions as cynical and grubby cheating, which deserves to be punished.
    This is coming from the man that cried for 3 days straight to the media that our backmen got away with murder and then organised a coffee meeting with Gil to whine some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Reckon Zeibel made a last second decision and couldn't resist when he saw it was Greene's head
    Yes, I'm assuming that part of the reason for Ziebell's lenient treatment, was the fact that he went for Greene. Almost anyone else and he may have got a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    This is coming from the man that cried for 3 days straight to the media that our backmen got away with murder and then organised a coffee meeting with Gil to whine some more.
    Yes, and in the interview that I quoted from, Clarkson spent a fair amount of time, criticising those who had commented on the case. Which is a touch ironic, as he'd spent the rest of the interview commenting on the case.

Senior Player
    Yes, I'm assuming that part of the reason for Ziebell's lenient treatment, was the fact that he went for Greene. Almost anyone else and he may have got a week.
    There should be credits applied where Greene is concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    There should be credits applied where Greene is concerned
    If you can catch Roy and HG Nelson’s

JUST SHORT OF A LENGTH

Last Sat morning on 2GB I think .... very funny on crowd control, ‘Grub Greene’ and many other hilarities.

EG : “There should be different crowd sections :

A Goboff section
    A silent section
    A Nude Section (leave yr clothes at the gate)
    A Bhuddist section
    A Drunks section

Lots of laughs .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    If you can catch Roy and HG Nelson’s

JUST SHORT OF A LENGTH

Last Sat morning on 2GB I think .... very funny on crowd control, ‘Grub Greene’ and many other hilarities.

EG : “There should be different crowd sections :

A Goboff section
    A silent section
    A Nude Section (leave yr clothes at the gate)
    A Bhuddist section
    A Drunks section

Lots of laughs .
    Classic duo. Plenty of material to work with from last weekend

Great comment, dejavoodoo44. I was very glad to see Stratton is out for two weeks. Clarkson can try his coffee-with-Gil tactic over that one, but I doubt he'd get far.

Coaches just dig themselves a deeper hole when they comment on their own players indiscretions .

They would be so much better off saying :

That’s for the the Match Review and the Tribunal , it’s not my brief .
    Next question.

Regular in the Side
    Think Stratton got off pretty lightly. Laughed at Clarkson referring to it as like sandpapergate. If it was Stratton would have got 12 months, the same as Smith and Warner. It also cost Lehmann his job even though he was unaware of the plan. Clarkson would have been well aware of Stratton's tactics as they have been going on for quite a while. Perhaps Clarko should also be disciplined. Stomping and pinching are in the same category as biting, gouging, Xmas tree holds and Hopoate finger, tactics that have no place in any sport let alone AFL.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast