Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 13 weekly discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    What a bloody relief that's over, eh? Bring on Friday night.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ok, I’m going to disagree with BF and ss - and probably a majority.

As someone who always goes to test cricket and ODI matches at the SCG I am very used to security & police walking up and down the aisles. And I don’t have any problem with it.

It is very unpleasant to be sitting in a group of spectators, usually men fuelled by alcohol, who are yelling abuse at players and umpires, and sometimes at opposition fans as well. Remember the 2014 GF and the appalling behaviour of Hawthorn fans?

Everyone should be able to go to the footy, including families with children, without feeling intimidated. Umpires and players should not have to put up with abuse.

And why would fans who do neither of those things, who simply enthusiastically support their teams, feel threatened by the presence of security staff?
    I’m with you on this, Meg.

I have always been loud at the football and enjoy a bit of banter with opposition supporters, but there has been a decline in crowd behaviour over the past 10-15 years. I also think this is more prevalent in Melbourne than at the SCG.

To illustrate the point, I have received some surprised looks from supporters when cheering or yelling out at the SCG (along the lines of, ‘gee, he’s keen’), but have not experienced this elsewhere.

However, there has barely been a game in the last few years where I have not encountered obnoxious and aggressive behaviour at the MCG or Docklands. The things that used to catch my attention were often comical expressions, now they are ones that are aggressive and demeaning.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Any thoughts on the Sydney Stack/Eddie Betts hug from last nights game?
    I didn't watch the whole game and missed this exchange at the time, but I did note an earlier incident between the two that caught my eye. Betts went to kick around his body and essentially just kicked it into the legs of an opponent and then the ball went out of bounds. Stack went up to Betts and gave him a push and had heckled him. This surprised me somewhat and I thought that it was a bit cheeky from a young bloke to an ageing champion. It was also along the lines of the unnecessary exchanges between players where one just demeans the other (which has been discussed on here over the last couple of seasons and in the media earlier this year, most notably between Vardy and Gawn). I noted to my wife at the time that this was a bit unusual, particularly between Indigenous players, where a open level of respect often transcends team divide.

When I later saw a replay of their exchange from later in the game, I thought it was a good acknowledgement and perhaps a sign from Stack that he had been a bit disrespectful earlier.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I’m with you on this, Meg.

I have always been loud at the football and enjoy a bit of banter with opposition supporters, but there has been a decline in crowd behaviour over the past 10-15 years. I also think this is more prevalent in Melbourne than at the SCG.

To illustrate the point, I have received some surprised looks from supporters when cheering or yelling out at the SCG (along the lines of, ‘gee, he’s keen’), but have not experienced this elsewhere.

However, there has barely been a game in the last few years where I have not encountered obnoxious and aggressive behaviour at the MCG or Docklands. The things that used to catch my attention were often comical expressions, now they are ones that are aggressive and demeaning.
    Yep. There needs to be more chilling out. At games, on the footy forums, on the bus to the ground, everywhere....

Veterans List
    Titus O'Rielly's view of the 'Stratton show' on the weekend:

"Dane Rampe set the pace this year for captains going off the rails in a game, but Ben Stratton lifted the bar and then some.

He managed to repeatedly pinch Orazio Fantasia, stomp on Shaun McKernan’s foot and give the finger to the crowd.

It was a masterclass in how to become hated by every football fan in just a few hours.

While he’s straight off to the tribunal, the jury is still out if his campaign to overtake James Sicily as Hawthorn's most hated player will succeed."

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Thirteen - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Titus O'Rielly's view of the 'Stratton show' on the weekend:

"Dane Rampe set the pace this year for captains going off the rails in a game, but Ben Stratton lifted the bar and then some.

He managed to repeatedly pinch Orazio Fantasia, stomp on Shaun McKernan’s foot and give the finger to the crowd.

It was a masterclass in how to become hated by every football fan in just a few hours.

While he’s straight off to the tribunal, the jury is still out if his campaign to overtake James Sicily as Hawthorn's most hated player will succeed."

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Thirteen - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself
    It's probably an award at their presentation night: most hated player at Hawthorn.

Warming the Bench
    Ben Stratton - yes; what was he thinking. I haven't watched Stratton closely in the past but he seems quite clean. He doesn't have a reputation as a dirty player. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    He probably won't play against us this week - which is a bonus for us.

My manager is a Hawthorn fan and he was fairly unimpressed with Strattons actions.

I followed Sth Mel as a kid and will never forget the abuse and threats made towards me (a little girl at the time), by Geelong supporters. They were the games we would go to as it was the closest to where we lived.

I have no doubt the aggression from the Vic club supporters would all be the same, it's a religion down there.

Don't get me wrong, I love expressing my support every game in Syd but would never go to the levels I have seen.

Swans supporters are unique and respectful (most of them anyway), I walked out after the last game against the "Ice Coke Eagles" and made a quiet comment to a stranger walking in the same direction, "geez we're a rowdy mob aren't we!" All the hype after a big win like that and it was queit conversation everwhere, not a DH anywhere.

So proud to live in a state where behaviour is adult and not offensive.

Senior Player
    I think the demographic that supports the Swans (and probably GWS too) in Sydney is a bit more centred around a certain group
    of people than footy crowds in Melbourne. The Melbourne footy crowds always seemed to me to be the Sydney AFL, the rugby
    league and the rugby union crowds all rolled into one. It's just the nature of one football code being very dominant in Melbourne,
    whereas in Sydney no one code is particularly dominant.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    Ben Stratton - yes; what was he thinking. I haven't watched Stratton closely in the past but he seems quite clean. He doesn't have a reputation as a dirty player. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    He probably won't play against us this week - which is a bonus for us.

My manager is a Hawthorn fan and he was fairly unimpressed with Strattons actions.
    You are looking for a new job, aren't you? Or better still, just take over his job!

Veterans List
    The MRP is a joke. Ziebell and Brown both went with elbow/forearm raised at GWS players and made contact. There is no doubt, they went at the players. With all the diatribe that went on with Ablett you would think that the standard was set. But no these 2 players got off and now get another shot before they get suspended.

Again, does a player have to be maimed before they stamp out this deliberate stuff. Ziebell jumped off the ground for goodness sake, and Brown went directly high on the player. Clearly both deliberate acts.
    Last edited by Nico; 17th June 2019 at 08:11 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The MRP is a joke. Ziebell and Brown both went with elbow/forearm raised at GWS players and made contact. There is no doubt, they went at the players. With all the diatribe that went on with Ablett you would think that the standard was set. But no these 2 players got off and now get another shot before they get suspended.

Again, does a player have to be maimed before they stamp out this deliberate stuff. Ziebell jumped off the ground for goodness sake, and Brown went directly high on the player. Clearly both deliberate acts.
    I haven't seen the Ziebell incident so I can't comment on that but I did see the Brown one. I didn't think that the force was enough for it to be a reportable act so I'm not surprised that he wasn't suspended.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast