Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 13 weekly discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Great comment, dejavoodoo44. I was very glad to see Stratton is out for two weeks. Clarkson can try his coffee-with-Gil tactic over that one, but I doubt he'd get far.
    Ta, and if Clarkson decides a coffee might do the trick, let's just hope that the wait staff are aware of what's going on, and decide to go the niggle.
    "Oh sorry, sir; I'm usually not that clumsy."
    "Sorry, sorry again. Ooohh, that coffee does seem hot! Would you like a cloth and some painkillers?"

Veterans List
    AFL making a stand this week, Stephenson out for 10 weeks for betting on Pies games!

So players on notice, you'll get weeks for stomping, pinching, betting.

I'd like to see them also clamp down on the constant low level punching in the back and arms by defenders (a la Stratton on Charlie Cameron two weeks ago) whilst the ball is up the other end of the ground. Pay the first punch, ball comes from the other end of the ground, the "punched" forward kicks a goal from the goalsquare, niggly punching instantly eliminated - easy! Rather than stupidly smiling at it like that umpire was!!

$20k
    10 weeks , 12 suspended .

Tough love !

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    $20k
    10 weeks , 12 suspended .

Tough love !
    He placed bets on his own goal kicking tally in a game. Ten weeks is lower end.

10 weeks is a slap on the wrist given some of the bets he placed. Players have been given life bans for spot-fixing in some sports

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    AFL making a stand this week, Stephenson out for 10 weeks for betting on Pies games!

So players on notice, you'll get weeks for stomping, pinching, betting.

I'd like to see them also clamp down on the constant low level punching in the back and arms by defenders (a la Stratton on Charlie Cameron two weeks ago) whilst the ball is up the other end of the ground. Pay the first punch, ball comes from the other end of the ground, the "punched" forward kicks a goal from the goalsquare, niggly punching instantly eliminated - easy! Rather than stupidly smiling at it like that umpire was!!
    They were cracking down on this at the start of the season. I remember Buddy was paid a free against Carlton. The problem is that the AFL only persists with things for a couple of weeks and then it's forgotten and they move on to something else.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Absolutely!

I'm all for second chances and acknowledging that young blokes make bad decisions. But twice now the penalty has been "what remains of the H & A season". It seems rather arbitrary. Rub them out for a consistently-defined period and if that includes finals, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I read that, and that Stephenson knew he was doing the wrong thing when he made the bets. And I thought this is a young man with a gambling problem.

Then the next item I clicked on the AFL website was the ‘Pick a Winner’ video sponsored by Bet Easy, starting each segment with the betting odds for each match.

Me thinks the AFL speaks with forked tongue on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Think Stratton got off pretty lightly. Laughed at Clarkson referring to it as like sandpapergate. If it was Stratton would have got 12 months, the same as Smith and Warner. It also cost Lehmann his job even though he was unaware of the plan. Clarkson would have been well aware of Stratton's tactics as they have been going on for quite a while. Perhaps Clarko should also be disciplined. Stomping and pinching are in the same category as biting, gouging, Xmas tree holds and Hopoate finger, tactics that have no place in any sport let alone AFL.
    Couldn't agree more but nothing will happen to Clarkson. He's the AFLs golden child.

Strattons actions were those of a spineless coward and should be seen as so. In the good Ol days a player would have knocked his lights out but he knows that unsportsmanlike behaviour such as this normally goes unpunished and his opponent is unable to retaliate unless they lower their moral standards as well. Stratton is notorious for this sort of behaviour as are some of his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    10 weeks is a slap on the wrist given some of the bets he placed. Players have been given life bans for spot-fixing in some sports
    The news reported it was only one bet of $30 or similar. Is that incorrect?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    The news reported it was only one bet of $30 or similar. Is that incorrect?
    Three bets totalling $36.

"The multi-bets included legs on Collingwood to win, Collingwood's winning margin, Stephenson to kick a goal, Stephenson to kick three or more goals, Collingwood teammates to kick a goal, Collingwood teammates to kick two or more goals, and Collingwood teammates to have in excess of a number of disposals."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...19-p51z3e.html

I found that pretty startling.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Me thinks the AFL speaks with forked tongue on this issue.
    100%
    Young Jaidyn just needs to remember to
    “Gamble responsibly”

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast