Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: (Not so) sweet caroline

(Not so) sweet caroline

Can anyone explain the relevance of playing sweet caroline at quarter time? Does it have anything to do with the Swans? Did someone at HQ accidentally buy the rights during an after hours office drinking session, and now we're stuck with it? I for one can't stand it. (I'd much prefer "I see red" - split enz still boast some of the best hairdos in pop history)

Just because you like the Split Enz song doesn't mean it should be played.
    Many people like Sweet Caroline, and would likely justify why it should be kept.
    as I've said before, why not use a football song?
    Up There Cazaly? or the subsequent Up The With Sydney?

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe get a band to write a song for us.
    Pop Evil did a great song for the Michigan Wolverines
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Just because you like the Split Enz song doesn't mean it should be played.
    Many people like Sweet Caroline, and would likely justify why it should be kept.
    as I've said before, why not use a football song?
    Up There Cazaly? or the subsequent Up The With Sydney?

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe get a band to write a song for us.
    Pop Evil did a great song for the Michigan Wolverines
    There are heaps of Swans related songs that could be used: eg Up There Cazaly, One Tony Lockett, Three Cheers For Roosey, The Courage of the Man (about Paul Kelly), I Only Take What's Mine (Caaaaaper!). I've got all these on my iPod plus half a dozen version of Cheer Cheer the Red & the White (including 2 upbeat dance versions).

I cited "I see red" because it has been used for years and has some link to the club, if only the colour reference. The question was, why sweet caroline? What's the link?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    They used to play Up there for Sydney at the 3 quarter time break. Don't remember it happening this year.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    it needs to go. Cringe worthy.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    They used to play Up there for Sydney at the 3 quarter time break. Don't remember it happening this year.
    Accompanied by the on-screen montage which includes footage of Kelly's and Goodes' Brownlows? Definitely played it at the North game, pretty sure other games too.

I'm always baffled by the completely-irrelevant, awful Sweet Caroline thing, so I just assume it's a tactic to throw off the opposition and their fans.

Long Term Injury List
    I'm one of the grumpy old ladies who would like them to get rid of all the nonsense that goes on at the breaks. Half time is for the Auskick Kids the rest is for conversing with others at the ground about the state of play. I'm not convinced that playing any song at quarter time will convince someone to come to a game.

I'm always baffled by the completely-irrelevant, awful Sweet Caroline thing, so I just assume it's a tactic to throw off the opposition and their fans.[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering whether it was putting off our players. We've had some ordinary second quarters.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Personally, any attempt to get me involved in light entertainment at quarter time is a huge distraction from the momentum of the game. Half time I'm ok with, but quarter time, keep it focused on footy, and ideally, stuff that screams urgency. Keep the crowd focused on the game.

I get what that they're trying to establish a Sydney 'thing', something that gets the crowd involved, but it's the wrong strategy. No one is coming to the game for that.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Goes up to 11
    I like it.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mariachi View Post
    I've been wondering whether it was putting off our players. We've had some ordinary second quarters.
    Good call....and it's putting off the fans.

It's simple. If we're winning, the crowd wants to stay focused on the game. If it's tight, we definitely want to stay focused on the game. If we're losing, Sweet Caroline, or anything else for that matter, just isn't going to help.

I think they should keep Cyggy's dance at half time - it's good for the kids, and it's starting to work as an idea. But please don't play some crappy top 40 song; stick to shake a tail feather. Everyone knows it and it's easy to get on board to.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast