Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy Franklin

Buddy Franklin

I wouldn't mind seeing buddy being put on ice for a good part of the remainder of the season for two reasons:
    1) it will give the young swans more opportunities, especially in the forward line to develop.
    2) it will prolong buddy's career right through to the end of his contract.

This is a development year for us. Player management is key.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing buddy being put on ice for a good part of the remainder of the season for two reasons:
    1) it will give the young swans more opportunities, especially in the forward line to develop.
    2) it will prolong buddy's career right through to the end of his contract.

This is a development year for us. Player management is key.
    Wouldn't mind seeing this happen but the injury will probably mean he will only come back for a handful of games anyway. Club will want to earmark a game for his 300th. If we're out of finals contention, we could put him on ice at that stage. Not sure he would take kindly to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing this happen but the injury will probably mean he will only come back for a handful of games anyway. Club will want to earmark a game for his 300th. If we're out of finals contention, we could put him on ice at that stage. Not sure he would take kindly to it.
    Agree. Not sure how keen he’d be not to play in the twilight of his career?

Goes up to 11
    We might be talking about a potential upcoming retirement if is wasn't for the fact that he has three years remaining on that pesky little contract.....

There is no need to rush him back. But from a personal perspective I assume he would prefer to look forward to playing a few more games this year. Rather than feel his season is over.

Even if he plays a few games towards the end of the year, I don't think it will take away too many opportunities from one of the younger players.

On what basis?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    We might be talking about a potential upcoming retirement if is wasn't for the fact that he has three years remaining on that pesky little contract.....
    Are you serious? He had 4 goals before half time on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    There is no need to rush him back. But from a personal perspective I assume he would prefer to look forward to playing a few more games this year. Rather than feel his season is over.

Even if he plays a few games towards the end of the year, I don't think it will take away too many opportunities from one of the younger players.
    Yes, I don’t think one of the BEST players (in the competition, let alone the Swans side) who pulls supporters through the gates by the drove and increases merchandise sales with every goal he kicks is keeping anyone out of anywhere!

- - - Updated - - -

A 4 goal a game forward would be talking about contract extensions not retirements

Thanks for the laugh Jono. If it was his 10th hammy in 2 years or something, perhaps. It may well ruin his 2019, but we should be able to get him to at least the 1,000 goal mark in the next couple of seasons, and he will be invaluable to the development of McCartin and Blakey. Old Man Buddy has plenty of footy life left in him yet.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Thanks for the laugh Jono. If it was his 10th hammy in 2 years or something, perhaps. It may well ruin his 2019, but we should be able to get him to at least the 1,000 goal mark in the next couple of seasons, and he will be invaluable to the development of McCartin and Blakey. Old Man Buddy has plenty of footy life left in him yet.
    Must say I'm impressed by his team spirit . He is genuinely happy for others doing well and keeps his chin up when injured. Good natured guy.

The fickle nature of the media's judgement with our recruitment of Buddy really grates me at times. Recently the general media consensus was his recruitment success shouldn't be judged solely on premierships. After suffering 2 hamstring injuries this year, I was hearing on radio yesterday (led by Mr Frawley) that Buddy is now unlikely to finish out the remaining 3 years of his contract, which they reckon 9 years was unrealistic to begin with & not delivered a premiership for which he was recruited for! FFS Buddy has kicked 9 goals in his last 6 quarters of footy & we (imo) wouldn't even have made the 2014 & 2016 GFs without him!

Senior Player
    If the media knew anything about player contracts they'd be working in the football department at a club.
    They are not. Every contract that is signed contains an element of risk, for the club and the player.
    As for "delivering a premiership", Frawley seems to have forgotten he played with a guy called Tony
    Lockett who kicked on average 40 goals per year more than Buddy for a grand total of zero premierships.
    We wouldn't have made the 14 & 16 GFs, and all these years of consecutive final appearances without
    the efforts of a whole bunch of players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast