Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #AFL Round 14 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    But you can see how their kind of manic football can overwhelm any team on a given day, especially if they kick through the big sticks more often.

They're a fun team to watch.
    Yeah, but it's more fun to watch them lose. Especially if we get plenty of shots of their beloved president.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Yes, it's difficult to barrack for the Pies but I wanted them to win today. Although the 8 is by no means finalised, the Bulldogs are heading for a third year in a row of not making finals. It just emphasizes how much of a gift to them 2016 was!
    Listening to Terry Wallace pre-game on SEN, he was very critical about the Dogs escaping intense scrutiny for what most likely will be their 3rd successive season missing the finals since their 2016 flag. He believes they're doing so because 2016 was seen as such a monumental feat. This is the same Terry Wallace who I've heard chuckle at Swans supporters for suggesting the umpiring at the 2016 GF grossly influenced the result in the Bulldogs favour. The fact the Dogs have been nothing more than mediocre since, a dramatic decline rarely seen by a premiership team coupled with the statistical umpiring advantage they gained that year particularly during the finals, should make Mr Wallace take more notice of our conspiracy theories!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    According to the AFL report, ‘Magpies scrape past brave Dogs’ after winning by nine points. Later the win was described as ‘seeing off a gritty Western Bulldogs’.

When we lost to Collingwood by only seven points, the equivalent AFL report read ‘Pies down Swans in a thriller’ and further ‘COLLINGWOOD has once again stood up when it mattered ........ to defeat a dogged Sydney’.

So WB were ‘brave’ and ‘gritty’. We were just boringly ‘dogged’. H’mmm ....
    I don't read that as negatively as you do. Our game was described as "a thriller" - sounds like a much better and more exciting game than watching Pies "scrape past" a team and "see them off", no matter how "brave" the opposition is.

And while "dogged" isn't that flattering an adjective, I don't think many fans would be hoping their team would be more "gritty".

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I don't read that as negatively as you do. Our game was described as "a thriller" - sounds like a much better and more exciting game than watching Pies "scrape past" a team and "see them off", no matter how "brave" the opposition is.

And while "dogged" isn't that flattering an adjective, I don't think many fans would be hoping their team would be more "gritty".
    gritty = brave and determined
    dogged = tenacious, persistent

Yeah I know I’m over-reacting. It’s the ‘brave Dogs’ all over again (2016 revisited) that annoyed me.

Senior Player
    Meanwhile, as round 14 ground on interminably, Ash Barty become the first Australian woman to get to #1 in the tennis rankings
    in almost 50 years, and Hannah Green won the PGA, the first Australian women to win a major golf title in 13 years.
    These are significant achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Meanwhile, as round 14 ground on interminably, Ash Barty become the first Australian woman to get to #1 in the tennis rankings
    in almost 50 years, and Hannah Green won the PGA, the first Australian women to win a major golf title in 13 years.
    These are significant achievements.
    Yes, Hannah Green was a nice surprise. Going into the tournament, her world ranking was 114, and she had career prize money of US$360,000. Today's prize was US$577,000. And I think pretty well everybody would have backed Minjee Lee to be Australia's next major winner.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, Hannah Green was a nice surprise. Going into the tournament, her world ranking was 114, and she had career prize money of US$360,000. Today's prize was US$577,000. And I think pretty well everybody would have backed Minjee Lee to be Australia's next major winner.
    Absolutely. Good on her. Golf majors (like tennis majors) are ridiculously hard to win. Apparently Green first started in the US as part of
    Karrie Webb's scholarship program. And if ever we had an under appreciated Australian champ, it's Webb. Seven majors (more than Scott, Day,
    Norman & Ogilvy combined) and she helps out other golfers. But that's probably for another forum....
    Last edited by KTigers; 24th June 2019 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Absolutely. Good on her. Golf majors (like tennis majors) are ridiculously hard to win. Apparently Green first started in the US as part of
    Karrie Webb's scholarship program. And if ever we had an under appreciated Australian champ, it's Webb. Seven majors (more than Scott, Day,
    Norman & Ogilvy combined) and she helps out other golfers. But that's probably for another forum....
    She also talks like an Australian. More or less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12