Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 15 v Gold Coast

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Macca is in our best 22, but not by a big enough margin to warrant inclusion in the side at the expense of a developing player. For example, I would prefer to keep Rose in the side at the expense of Macca, even if Macca would probably make a bigger contribution. The margin is not that great. Macca is going to retire, while Rose is developing into a decent player and could be around for the next premiership run.
    +1
    Hate saying it, but given we need to keep developing the likes of COR and Rose, and because his injuries have become chronic, the only game in the ones that he should get is a farewell one.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Ronke, Rowbottom, McCartin for Franklin, Clarke, Menzel!

Emg: Menzel Fox Thurlow Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Ronke, Rowbottom, McCartin for Franklin, Clarke, Menzel!

Emg: Menzel Fox Thurlow Clarke
    Hmm interesting ! I like Rowbottom in, although Clarke has been okay at his shutdown role and probably stiff to be dropped . Menzel a little stiff too , how well has Ronke been going in the 2’s? Stats suggest he’s going just ok without banging down the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Hmm interesting ! I like Rowbottom in, although Clarke has been okay at his shutdown role and probably stiff to be dropped . Menzel a little stiff too , how well has Ronke been going in the 2’s? Stats suggest he’s going just ok without banging down the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed about Clarke and Menzel. Rowbottom has been deserving a game, not sure about Ronke tho

Clarke has to be disciplinary

Team getting younger by the game

Veteran Site Admin
    Gold Coast are a young, quick team. The coaches have gone some way towards matching them in that respect. They probably don't have a dominant midfield (inside or out) that requires stopping as a priority, which may explain the Clarke omission.

Ronke hasn't been banging down the door in the reserves, but he has shown he can still snatch a goal or two, sometimes out of nothing. That's as much as Menzel has delivered in his senior outings. He has more pace than Menzel so may be better suited to playing a defensive forward role on one of the Suns' rebounding defenders. Their speed out of their backline remains one of their relative strengths.

Since I was only expecting McCartin to come in, I'm a bit surprised by the other two. Even though Rowbottom has been very good in the NEAFL, I thought that Clarke has been doing well and deserved to keep his place. And with Ronke, although he has been getting back to form, my opinion is that he's been busy, rather than demanding a recall.

There's no one to tag at GC, so a good game to drop Clarke and give Rowbottom a go. Rowbottom was great last week in the ressies, including all 3 of his goals. He's a gun.

I also happy to see Ronke back in the side. I think the offensive side of his game has been okay. His problem is that he hasn't done well in his 1 on 1 contests around the ground and lets the man he's marking get past him too often. If he can keep the defensive pressure high and stick those tackles, then he'll be a good player. He should get there.

Being 5 and 8 gives the coaches a bit more freedom with selection with an eye to the future.

PS: Ben Davis will make his AFL debut for Adelaide this week.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 27th June 2019 at 07:55 PM.

As a regular NEAFL watcher, my opinion is that Wicks is playing much better than Ronke as the hard tackling pressure small who can hurt you with a couple of sneaky 6 pointers. The stats don't lie. Wicks smashing Ronke in all facets especially tackles, where he is often in double digits. Is it because Wicks can't play seniors as he is only rookie listed?

We are going ok when our emergencies are; clarke, thurlow, menzel and fox

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Clarke has to be disciplinary
    Lack of a tag. Hard nosed decision to go with Rowbottom in his stead, but the right one. I hope James has a cracker.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast