Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Adam Goodes - Swans Legend

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Thanks Annie. Adam srill such a dignified guy after all the drama.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Great article.....good to see Adam so happy with his life at the moment......he so deserves it.

Samantha Lane interview with Adam Goodes. Adam has no aspirations to go back to the game in any way, shape or form, as he is now heavily involved in the business world and wants to be an entrepreneur to grow opportunities for Indigenous people in the business sector. He has knocked back AFL hopes to join their commission.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p52hs0.html

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Samantha Lane interview with Adam Goodes. Adam has no aspirations to go back to the game in any way, shape or form, as he is now heavily involved in the business world and wants to be an entrepreneur to grow opportunities for Indigenous people in the business sector. He has knocked back AFL hopes to join their commission.

That article make angry, disappointed & tremendously sad all over again at the mistreatment & abuse of Adam, to cause him to turn his back on the game that he once loved.

He’s not the first player to lose their love for football, and each instance (for whatever reason) is tragic. But for me, Adam’s was so public, and the perpetrators so visible that it feels a little soul destroying.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    That article make angry, disappointed & tremendously sad all over again at the mistreatment & abuse of Adam, to cause him to turn his back on the game that he once loved.

He’s not the first player to lose their love for football, and each instance (for whatever reason) is tragic. But for me, Adam’s was so public, and the perpetrators so visible that it feels a little soul destroying.
    +1. It's tragic, and unforgivable.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

Man, that is a bleak article isn't it. It's of course completely understandable that he feels this way though. Very sad that a decent person
    who was trying to do decent things in such a public arena was so let down by some of his fellow Australians. The good thing is that he has
    moved on and is trying to assist indigenous people get into business. Because long-term success in business can be such a positive thing.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

I can't wait to read the whole piece in Spectrum tomorrow but I think I'll need to gird my loins like I did for The Final Quarter. But it's good to see how consistent we Australians are now that Ben Simmons is the next sports start to stick his head above the racism parapet.

Veterans List
    I just watched The Australian Dream on i-view. It was a hard slog to say the least......bringing back many of the emotions I felt in the midst of this (and yes, yet another) sad chapter in our countries history. I teared up numerous times.....imagining that the sorrow and disappointment that I was feeling would have been 100 fold for Adam. Our country has the potential so be so much better than this episode of our history displayed.....indeed the support for Adam on the day we played the Crows showed we are far better than that. It can only be hoped that the moral majority can educate, overcome and finally silence the racists among us. Racism is borne out of ignorance.....so lets hope this documentary is indeed used in schools to the betterment of our young and teach them early what it means to be an indigenous kid in this country and in turn, has them moving forward in their lives as enlightened intelligent holistic human beings, embracing our indigenous brothers and sisters as equals......and that the Bolts and Newmans of this world quickly fade away into the oblivion their backward thinking ilk deserve.

Be happy Adam.....all power to you.

Andy Mahr / Robert Murphy (SEN) interviewed Alex Johnson short time ago about Goodes rupturing his PCL in the 2012 GF, which they brought up as a topic after the screening of "The Australian Dream" last Sunday on the ABC. Their phones lines and text machine then lit up, with callers bring up the old sick tirade of Goodes brought the booing onto himself because he was flog, diver, sook etc....nothing to do racism even though this wasn't the topic of the conversation! Some callers hadn't even watched either of the documentaries, which Andy & Robert pleaded they do to at least get a balanced perspective. Reliving the dark times of Goodes latter career. Hard to take again. Imagine how it must be for Adam. Hope he wasn't listening. They were some callers who were supportive of Adam, but the majority were savage! Callers are still ringing as i post this.

P.S. Alex informed his body is the best it has been since he was 21, having no issues or niggling injuries since his last knee op 18 months ago. He managed 10 games with the Northern Bullants last season in the VFL and feeling strong. He hasn't entirely given up hope of resurrecting his AFL career even though it would appear the odds are highly stacked against him (he would be 28yo now). Wish him all the best nevertheless.
    Last edited by KSAS; 25th February 2020 at 05:25 PM.

The Australian Dream is now getting an UK cinema release. This is a British sports journalist's accompanying background story; which features a few new interesting quotes from Goodesy.

Adam Goodes: 'Instead of masking racism, we need to deal with it day-to-day'

Adam Goodes: 'Instead of masking racism, we need to deal with it day-to-day' | Sport | The Guardian

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for making that Guardian article available dejavoodoo44. Well worth reading, and encouraging to know about his business connections which sound very constructive.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    The Australian Dream is now getting an UK cinema release. This is a British sports journalist's accompanying background story; which features a few new interesting quotes from Goodesy.

Adam Goodes: 'Instead of masking racism, we need to deal with it day-to-day'

Adam Goodes: 'Instead of masking racism, we need to deal with it day-to-day' | Sport | The Guardian
    Notice he singled out Hawthorn supporters as the worst offenders - richly deserved.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast