Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Adam Goodes - Swans Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Notice he singled out Hawthorn supporters as the worst offenders - richly deserved.
    I'm probably just going on stereotypes, but they might be the ones most likely to take notice of Bolt, Devine, Jones etc.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    The Australian Dream is now getting an UK cinema release. This is a British sports journalist's accompanying background story; which features a few new interesting quotes from Goodesy.

Adam Goodes: 'Instead of masking racism, we need to deal with it day-to-day'

Adam Goodes: 'Instead of masking racism, we need to deal with it day-to-day' | Sport | The Guardian
    Great article. This part is particularly telling.....it's telling us these two have learnt NOTHING.

"I emailed Bolt and McGuire, to ask if they had watched the film and if their views of Goodes had changed. Neither responded."

Still as gutless and up themselves as ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm probably just going on stereotypes, but they might be the ones most likely to take notice of Bolt, Devine, Jones etc.
    Hawthorn.....safely Liberal and conservative. Say no more.....

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Notice he singled out Hawthorn supporters as the worst offenders - richly deserved.
    Thanks for the comment BF. It reminded me that I was at the MCG for a daytime match against Hawthorn, I think quite some time before the Collingwood girl called out. I heard something going on in the crowd (I might say my hearing is pretty much shot) which I couldn't work out at first, and finally realised that they were booing Goodesy. After that, whenever he got the ball I was on my feet yelling "Onya Gooodsey", and I think some others joined in.

Am I mistaken about the time order of these events? Perhaps imagining things? I would have sworn that the Hawthorn booing happened before the incident with the girl.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Thanks for the comment BF. It reminded me that I was at the MCG for a daytime match against Hawthorn, I think quite some time before the Collingwood girl called out. I heard something going on in the crowd (I might say my hearing is pretty much shot) which I couldn't work out at first, and finally realised that they were booing Goodesy. After that, whenever he got the ball I was on my feet yelling "Onya Gooodsey", and I think some others joined in.

Am I mistaken about the time order of these events? Perhaps imagining things? I would have sworn that the Hawthorn booing happened before the incident with the girl.
    Wouldn't surprise me. Very ugly and entitled lot generally speaking.

Veterans List
    The agro from Hawthorn supporters started after we beat them in the 2012 GF. The first game that we played them at the MCG, Goodes was copping it. It didn't help that they thrashed us but when Goodes scored a goal I cheered loudly. A guy in front of me sarcastically yelled out to "give him another medal"...which I assume he meant another brownlow. I responded that he already has 2 as well as 2 premiership medals. He shut up after that.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Mel C, I believe that was the occasion I was thinking of.
    And more power to your arm with the Hawthorn prat!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I do recall around the mid 2000's Goode's being booed for a few games after when Leigh Matthews labelled him a protected specie as a result of him getting off a few tribunal/MRP hearings without suspension. I particularly remember Melbourne supporters doing so in a game at the MCG. There was no indication it was at all racially motivated at the time, but what came years after does make you rethink.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I do recall around the mid 2000's Goode's being booed for a few games after when Leigh Matthews labelled him a protected specie as a result of him getting off a few tribunal/MRP hearings without suspension. I particularly remember Melbourne supporters doing so in a game at the MCG. There was no indication it was at all racially motivated at the time, but what came years after does make you rethink.
    Yes the very first booing started after the Leigh Matthews comments. I remember we were playing North Melbourne at Etihad stadium (or whatever it was called back then), and Goodes was booed whenever he touched it. Not surprising they were the club that booed him in his last game ☹.

Adam Goodes - Swans Legend

This was pre the calling out of the Collingwood supporter , the Australian of the year etc. I think reevaluating the motivations of the booing back then is a bit wide of the mark. For the very reasons you stated. An AFL legend called him out on perceivably getting a good run at the tribunal and a few opposition club supporters latched on to it. Let’s not forget booing of champions, and /or perceived cheats / bad sports/ protected species is far from a new concept in our game. Goodes was booed at stages before this all blew up to the racism saga. To go and revisit history and then apply the racism tag to the much earlier incidents of booing, I don’t know, I think that’s getting carried away to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    This was pre the calling out of the Collingwood supporter , the Australian of the year etc. I think reevaluating the motivations of the booing back then is a bit wide of the mark. For the very reasons you stated. An AFL legend called him out on perceivably getting a good run at the tribunal and a few opposition club supporters latched on to it. Let’s not forget booing of champions, and /or perceived cheats / bad sports/ protected species is far from a new concept in our game. Goodes was booed at stages before this all blew up to the racism saga. To go and revisit history and then apply the racism tag to the much earlier incidents of booing, I don’t know, I think that’s getting carried away to be honest.
    Agreed
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Booing the flopper Mr Lloyd was pretty fair game for many supporters

Veterans List

That's the game. And 3 Hawthorn A holes were standing behind us laughing and making ape noises. After the game a woman friend of a friend who was a Hawthorn supporter followed him out after the game and announced herself as a policewoman. And on queue crapped himself. Anyone who says it was not racism is a liar.

IIRC the year before he was reported for striking a WCE player but was allotted under 100 points so didn't miss a game. Next week we played North in Melbourne and they booed him all game. Anyone else wouldn't have caused a murmur.

- - - Updated - - -

Of all people to call someone a protected species, coming from the dirtiest player to play the game.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011