Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 15 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Yes, but home teams normally get an advantage, so you have to factor that into the equation as well.
    I don't believe we (or GWS) get a favourable free kick count for home games.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I don't believe we (or GWS) get a favourable free kick count for home games.
    Are there any NSW based umpires, or QLD for that matter?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Yes, but home teams normally get an advantage, so you have to factor that into the equation as well.
    The Free Kick counts for the Essendon & GWS matches this year:
    - Round 1 - at Giants - GWS 23, Essendon12.
    - Round 15 - at Marvel - Essendon 29, GWS 14.

After Fremantle's surprise loss to Carlton, they are now the bottom team in the eight, on 28 points. Which means that we're now only one win and percentage outside of the eight.

Although I'm not all that confident about beating Essendon, with Sinclair and Franklin missing, it is actually possible for us to be in the eight, at the completion of the next round. Firstly, we need to beat Essendon by over 25 points, to go above them on percentage. Then Port and Fremantle need to suffer heavy losses, in their respective local derbies. Then North either has to lose against St Kilda; or beat them by about ten points less than the margin that we had beaten Essendon by.

Long odds, of course: but if it's possible to be in the eight next week, then it's very possible to be in the eight at season's end.

I feel like the Bombers game is pretty season defining. Win it and we’ll be in a position to make the eight. Lose it and its pretty tough.

We’ve got Carlton (h), Freo (a) after that

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    The Free Kick counts for the Essendon & GWS matches this year:
    - Round 1 - at Giants - GWS 23, Essendon12.
    - Round 15 - at Marvel - Essendon 29, GWS 14.
    You can pull random samples out anywhere. I'm sure there is a game sometime where we had more free kicks than the dogs. Does that cancel out the grand final ?
    GWS dominated round 1 game, and the free kick team usually favours the dominant team (all things being fair).

Like I said in my post, take a larger sample set of vic v non-vic in melbourne. There is a very strong trend there against the non-vic teams.

I cant imagine in any serious sport in the world where this sort of imbalance is tolerated. Unfortunetly in the AFL, the umpires are unaccountable, and since this has been going on for so long, there is no review process with penalty/rewards in place for fair performances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Are there any NSW based umpires, or QLD for that matter?
    Razor Ray is from ACT, and probably the fairest umpire out there.

Thats all I'm aware of.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You can pull random samples out anywhere. I'm sure there is a game sometime where we had more free kicks than the dogs. Does that cancel out the grand final ?
    GWS dominated round 1 game, and the free kick team usually favours the dominant team (all things being fair).

Like I said in my post, take a larger sample set of vic v non-vic in melbourne. There is a very strong trend there against the non-vic teams.

I cant imagine in any serious sport in the world where this sort of imbalance is tolerated. Unfortunetly in the AFL, the umpires are unaccountable, and since this has been going on for so long, there is no review process with penalty/rewards in place for fair performances.

- - - Updated - - -

Razor Ray is from ACT, and probably the fairest umpire out there.

Thats all I'm aware of.
    His buddying up with players annoy me but you are right about his independence

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I feel like the Bombers game is pretty season defining. Win it and we’ll be in a position to make the eight. Lose it and its pretty tough.

We’ve got Carlton (h), Freo (a) after that
    Yes, win the Essendon game and I'd be reasonably optimistic about playing in the finals. Lose that, and my gathering optimism would take a hit.

Beating Essendon is imperative but not enough. Our matches against Essendon, Freo (unless they go into a death spiral) and Port are all critical. Of the opponents we have left they are the ones who we are most directly competing with for a spot in the 8.

Great post by Beerman. And always enjoying your posts, deja and Markwebbos.

Veterans List
    Witts avoids ban for his crude (and potentially extremely dangerous) hit on Blakey.....fined $2000 instead. The MRO is a joke.....shouldn't matter that Blakey got up, took his kick ad played the game out....he may not have played for weeks if Witts elbow collected him flush. Replays prove the ball wasn't Witts object. Laughable decision....

Big Sun avoids ban as MRO slaps eight with fines - AFL.com.au

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    ...Long odds, of course: but if it's possible to be in the eight next week, then it's very possible to be in the eight at season's end.
    This is remarkable. Given we were on track for the spoon at the end of Round 7 and the only thing to look forward to was Rowell or Anderson.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Witts avoids ban for his crude (and potentially extremely dangerous) hit on Blakey.....fined $2000 instead. The MRO is a joke.....shouldn't matter that Blakey got up, took his kick ad played the game out....he may not have played for weeks if Witts elbow collected him flush. Replays prove the ball wasn't Witts object. Laughable decision....

Big Sun avoids ban as MRO slaps eight with fines - AFL.com.au
    Completely agree. Why do they give out penalties based on damage caused rather than the damage that could've been caused?
    Witt's actions were extremely dangerous and we're just lucky that Blakey isn't on our injury list as well!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast