Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 15 Weekly Discussion Thread

Veterans List

#AFL Round 15 Weekly Discussion Thread

Good win to the Cats last night as expected.....but what's going on with those Giants? Blew another match on Thursday that they should have sewn up by three quarter time. When seriously challenged, they go into slight panic mode....though I must say, the umpiring seemed to take a sinister turn in the last quarter, including a 'non goal review' after replays showed a goal to the Dons was indeed touched off the boot.

For the AFL to come out and completely defy logic yet again to give the episode the tick of approval is to be laughingly expected I suppose. Loved Jimmy Bartel's spray on this subject.....at least there is someone out there in media land prepared to call the AFL's attitude for what it is....plain dishonesty or sheer incompetence.....or both.

Only seven matches left.....lets see what else the league can @@@@@@ up in that time......

Fingers crossed that our game is adjudicated properly. Have a great weekend everyone...... Go Swans!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Good win to the Cats last night as expected.....but what's going on with those Giants? Blew another match on Thursday that they should have sewn up by three quarter time. When seriously challenged, they go into slight panic mode....though I must say, the umpiring seemed to take a sinister turn in the last quarter, including a 'non goal review' after replays showed a goal to the Dons was indeed touched off the boot.

For the AFL to come out and completely defy logic yet again to give the episode the tick of approval is to be laughingly expected I suppose. Loved Jimmy Bartel's spray on this subject.....at least there is someone out there in media land prepared to call the AFL's attitude for what it is....plain dishonesty or sheer incompetence.....or both.

Only seven matches left.....lets see what else the league can @@@@@@ up in that time......

Fingers crossed that our game is adjudicated properly. Have a great weekend everyone...... Go Swans!!
    It's not sinister, it's just a hopelessly compromised system.

Senior Player

29 frees to 15 Dons way

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    29 frees to 15 Dons way
    Yes, the umpires seemed to be letting the crowd decide, on whether it was holding the ball or not.

Do we expect too much from the video review system? For my money, it should be used to correct the most blatant mistake, and if it takes longer than 30s to tell then let the umpire's call stand. No umpire or system will be perfect and we need to accept that.

It's also interesting to hear people constantly complain that the game is too hard to adjudicate, but if you suggest a rule change that makes it easier (ie. if the ball goes through, it's a goal), they lose their minds. Admittedly whether the ball touched the post is the least of the difficulties with umpiring AFL, but it would at least be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Do we expect too much from the video review system? For my money, it should be used to correct the most blatant mistake, and if it takes longer than 30s to tell then let the umpire's call stand. No umpire or system will be perfect and we need to accept that.

It's also interesting to hear people constantly complain that the game is too hard to adjudicate, but if you suggest a rule change that makes it easier (ie. if the ball goes through, it's a goal), they lose their minds. Admittedly whether the ball touched the post is the least of the difficulties with umpiring AFL, but it would at least be a start.
    Agree with all that BM. For years pre-technology everyone would have accepted that Bombers’ kick as a goal. Now we agonise with replay after replay to try to determine if the ball brushed the padding on the post.

I’d happily do away with the technology altogether and go back to accepting umpire’s call.

I’d also happily accept a rule change which says if the ball goes through the big sticks it’s a goal even if it hit a goal post. Plenty of other sports accept the equivalent result.

...... Loved Jimmy Bartel's spray on this subject (goal feview) .... at least there is someone out there in media land prepared to call the AFL's attitude for what it is....plain dishonesty or sheer incompetence.....or both!
    Jimmy Bartel is a director on the GWS Board - so hardly a dispassionate media commentator on a matter affecting the Giants.

Regular in the Side
    I agree what happens if the brown goal against us after running at least 30metres , if it was changed we probably would have won

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Agree with all that BM. For years pre-technology everyone would have accepted that Bombers’ kick as a goal. Now we agonise with replay after replay to try to determine if the ball brushed the padding on the post.

I’d happily do away with the technology altogether and go back to accepting umpire’s call.

I’d also happily accept a rule change which says if the ball goes through the big sticks it’s a goal even if it hit a goal post. Plenty of other sports accept the equivalent result.
    Not into rewarding inaccuracy.....

- - - Updated - - -

Jimmy Bartel is a director on the GWS Board - so hardly a dispassionate media commentator on a matter affecting the Giants.
    Well, at least ONE of the Seven commentators isn't assessing everything from a biased Victorian perspective.

Yes, I can see the point of that, and it would save a fair bit of time and debate.

Senior Player
    Even so, I don't recall Bartel mentioning anything about the 29-15 free kick count. 14 free kicks is three lengths of the field, and in a
    game decided by 6 points and the Bombers being awarded a goal that wasn't. If anybody should be sympathetic about being murdered
    by the umps, it's us....
    And then there's next week when we'll be facing the exact same 40,000 umpires in the crowd when we return to the scene of the
    crime on Saturday arvo.
    Anyway, better get in the car, the Gold Coast game awaits at the home of footy!
    Last edited by KTigers; 29th June 2019 at 04:17 PM.

Veterans List
    If the AFL spent money on better cameras which makes the vision clearer then there wouldn't be an issue. Instead the AFL waste money on LED boards and changing the logo.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast