Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SCG - a cricket ground

So is it more to do with injuries ?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    So is it more to do with injuries ?
    I'd have thought that was the major concern. I've heard players talk about how difficult it is to select appropriate footwear to cope with the difference in traction and hardness, especially when the ground is wet. That also has a knock-on effect for the quality of football that we get to watch, if it means players are likely to slip over.

I don't think the team has suffered a high incidence of injuries that could be attributed to the state of the ground (compared to, for example, the WA teams who are still struggling with playing so regularly on the hard Optus ground). So it's probably not a major issue.

That said, whether AFL or cricket pulls in more people, or generates more revenue for the SCG Trust, they are both clearly important sports to the commercial operations and community purpose of the stadium. I don't think it's unreasonable for the AFL competition (and the Swans in particular) to wish for their requirements to be taken into consideration in the ongoing management of the stadium, something that I suspect happens less than it might.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd have thought that was the major concern. I've heard players talk about how difficult it is to select appropriate footwear to cope with the difference in traction and hardness, especially when the ground is wet. That also has a knock-on effect for the quality of football that we get to watch, if it means players are likely to slip over.

I don't think the team has suffered a high incidence of injuries that could be attributed to the state of the ground (compared to, for example, the WA teams who are still struggling with playing so regularly on the hard Optus ground). So it's probably not a major issue.

That said, whether AFL or cricket pulls in more people, or generates more revenue for the SCG Trust, they are both clearly important sports to the commercial operations and community purpose of the stadium. I don't think it's unreasonable for the AFL competition (and the Swans in particular) to wish for their requirements to be taken into consideration in the ongoing management of the stadium, something that I suspect happens less than it might.
    Probably not unreasonable to ask, but NSW is and has been the powerhouse of Australian cricket, has won the most Sheffield Shields easily and the current Test team has at least half the side from there. The Swans get a really good run in relation to the iconic Sydney sporting arena and are now further enhancing their presence in the new facilities within the same precinct. Reckon they and the AFL should pull their heads in a bit on something, whilst probably annoying to the players, is not such a big deal.

Fan of both but the SCG wicket has a unique character and gives wrist spinners a go , and is famous all round the cricket world because of it.Drop in pitches don't have this character and if you look at the revenue the AFL is not that far ahead of cricket to justify any change. The wicket should be heritage listed !!

Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Why? Drop in pitches are used extensively today. They are good pitches and it stops the problem of pitches having to be relayed after every winter.
    They are generally boring pitches that promote draws.....yawn.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Apparently being the key word. Any actual facts to back up this allegation?
    And just curious what does SCG stand for again?
    Barry was right....

"The renovation of the SCG, which Cavalier oversaw, did not leave a vehicle entry wide enough to import the drop-ins used in Melbourne and Adelaide. Snookered!"

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soul-pa...05-p524fs.html

Last two tests at the SCG Australia scored 538/8 dec and 650/7 dec. This is the sort of exciting cricket people love, apparently.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Last two tests at the SCG Australia scored 538/8 dec and 650/7 dec. This is the sort of exciting cricket people love, apparently.
    Very good first innings wicket. Tests can go for five days. Drop in wickets generally a lot flatter.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    As long as Australia is making those scores.....yes.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Very good first innings wicket. Tests can go for five days. Drop in wickets generally a lot flatter.
    That's not the case with the new Perth pitches. The technology is improving. The Melbourne pitches have used inferior technology, but will be evolving to the better technology. The technological aspects are described here: MCG drop-in pitch to be upgraded to Perth standard | ESPNcricinfo.com.

I was against a drop in pitch until I saw Longmire's comments earlier this year, having read that article last December.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    That's not the case with the new Perth pitches. The technology is improving. The Melbourne pitches have used inferior technology, but will be evolving to the better technology. The technological aspects are described here: MCG drop-in pitch to be upgraded to Perth standard | ESPNcricinfo.com.

I was against a drop in pitch until I saw Longmire's comments earlier this year, having read that article last December.
    AFL doesn't have a divine right that supersedes the traditions of a national sport played in every state.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast