Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SCG - a cricket ground

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    If Cricket NSW and Cricket Australia want a drop in, fair enough. They don't and the AFL are minor players here much as they wouldn't like it.
    Who's decision is it? If it's CA then why are we even talking about it?

NSW tax payers pay for the SCG.

Senior Player
    Don't reckon it can.be retained. Despite my affinity with the Swans, a minor sport in Sydney shouldn't be making demands on a national and historically significant icon, in my opinion.
    The point I was making is that drop-in pitch technology is improving such that there is a reasonable prospect the character of the pitch can be retained. I agree with Ralph Dawg that there's a bit of mythology attached to SCG pitch anyway. Did you read the article?

AFL isn't a minor sport in Sydney. Earlier posts suggest that more people attend Swans games than cricket.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Who's decision is it? If it's CA then why are we even talking about it?
    Apparently, it's the SCG Trust who control what happens on the ground.

Apparently, it's the SCG Trust who control what happens on the ground.
    So the members have final say? I suspect most would be "purists" and vote to keep the pitch. If that's the case, then only 2 real options - suck it up (especially you Clarkson) or move to ANZ (no thanks). As an aside, love watching footy at Spotless. If they could get funding to turn it into a cut down Optus, say around 40,000 capacity, would that be a possible solution?

Senior Player
    So the members have final say? I suspect most would be "purists" and vote to keep the pitch. If that's the case, then only 2 real options - suck it up (especially you Clarkson) or move to ANZ (no thanks). As an aside, love watching footy at Spotless. If they could get funding to turn it into a cut down Optus, say around 40,000 capacity, would that be a possible solution?
    Not sure if the members have the final say, don't know the ins and outs. Contract to play footy at SCG is for a while but probably not to 2057 like MCG GF!

The giants certainly have a better playing field due to the drop in wickets used for the big bash.
    It will be a while before it gets bigger but can easily get to around 30,000 without major redevelopment.

Too far West for most swans supporters though.

Not sure if the members have the final say, don't know the ins and outs. Contract to play footy at SCG is for a while but probably not to 2057 like MCG GF!
    If drop in pitches are good enough for the MCG then they are good enough for the SCG. To be honest, the SCG is like a quaint English village ground compared to the MCG.
    The SCG is looking dated already, and will be a very poor cousin to the new Allianz stadium next door.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If drop in pitches are good enough for the MCG then they are good enough for the SCG. To be honest, the SCG is like a quaint English village ground compared to the MCG.
    The SCG is looking dated already, and will be a very poor cousin to the new Allianz stadium next door.
    Reason drop in wicket is at MCG is that all of Melbourne is in thrall to the mighty AFL. Not so in Sydney. SCG still a cricket ground.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Blood fever, you don't even live in Sydney.
    Barry, you don't even go to any matches at the SCG.

It's a cricket ground first and foremost, and it's also our home. Most of us fans love the SCG, even with its idiosyncrasies and limitations.

Happy and I know it
    Article by Malcolm Knox in today's SMH

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soul-pa...05-p524fs.html

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Article by Malcolm Knox in today's SMH

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soul-pa...05-p524fs.html
    Excellent article. I'm with Malcolm

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast