Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I watched the first three quarters of that game, in periods of five minutes here and ten minutes there, before the dull mediocrity had me switching off. For much of the time, it was slow ball movement out of defence, till a side got it into their attack, where they usually turned it over or kicked a behind. Then the other side would labouriously move it upfield, until they failed to produce a goal. Then back it would go again.
    What was probably the most interesting aspect of the match, was just how far Collingwood have devolved since their excellent early season form. To me, what was most impressive back then, was the speed and confidence that they had when launching an attack. When they caused a turnover, a large number of players would rapidly get in motion, giving plenty of options to the ball carriers. Because they had more options, there seemed to be more chance of making a good decision, and as a result, many sweeping movements ended up in goals being scored. Last night, that confidence and speed was largely absent. Not sure why: maybe their large injury toll is starting to get to them?
    Neither team were playing as well as we are at the moment. Funny year.

Veterans List
    I'm at Marvel Stadium and Sweet Caroline is playing!

I just witnessed umpire security overreaction. I'm sitting next to the umpire race and the police came at the 23 minute mark and stood along the race blocking my view and the view of everyone behind them. There were seats they could have sat it but no they stood. Even the actual stadium security person was considerate and was sitting. The umpires were on the ground officiating...no one could harm them. A few of us questioned them when they left and we were rudely told that they were instructed to stand and we should take it up with stadium management!!

Veterans List
    What's going on with the Cats?!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Bulldogs come from behind at 3QT to beat Cats.

Free kicks 28 - 13. Can you guess who got the 28?

Bruce McAvaney gushing about them and making references to 2016!

Veterans List
    Interesting stat from tonights Cats v Fairypups game. Free kick count 28 - 13 to the 'pups (business as usual) and Bontempelli got seven frees all by himself.....

Post edit: I'll go further.....comparing the midfielders. Figures are 'frees for and against'

Cats: Dangerfield 1-1, Kelly 0-4, Selwood 2-4, Duncan 0-2.....totals 3 for, 11 against.

Pups: Bontempelli 7-2, Hunter 2-0, Dunkley 5-1, McCrae 3-1.....totals 17 for, 4 against.

Armchair ride......
    Last edited by stevoswan; 6th July 2019 at 11:42 PM.

Regular in the Side
    that's how they won the p/ship in 2016. not only frees in the gf but during the year as well. won the frees most games.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    that's how they won the p/ship in 2016. not only frees in the gf but during the year as well. won the frees most games.
    Wow, I can't remember that game....

Seriously though, you are right......they had something like a +38 free kick differential over the four finals games alone!

Veterans List
    Lions doing well at Spotless against the Giants. 20 pts up at the moment. Can they keep it up?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Lions doing well at Spotless against the Giants. 20 pts up at the moment. Can they keep it up?
    Yes they can. Almost home now. I'm really enjoying watching the Blions play this year. Charlie Cameron is so much fun to watch in particular.
    Life's not a spectator sport

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Charlie Cameron is so much fun to watch in particular.
    Ain’t that the truth!

Yes they can. Almost home now. I'm really enjoying watching the Blions play this year. Charlie Cameron is so much fun to watch in particular.
    Yes, loved the bit where he streaked on to the ball about 60 metres out, tapped it to himself, gathered, sprinted, bounced, sprinted some more, then speared a pass to an unsuspecting McStay, who almost looked like he was going to take evasive action, but instead, grabbed the ball and goaled. The Lions are my second favourite team at the moment.

Senior Player
    We don't get to see too many Lions games in NSW, live or on TV. Just caught the last quarter today and really enjoyed what I saw. They seem to have a "just try to get it forward and goal" mentality, which really works. Solid defending too.

And yes, Cameron seems to be one of those players like Betts, who fans of all teams can like and enjoy.

Didn't catch too much else this weekend, but had to send commiserations to my cousin in Perth after she posted photos of her Dockers-mad family all decked out in colours ready for the game!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast