Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    I believe the free-kick score was 82-49 in the 4 games they played in the 2016 final series.
    And the further they advanced in that final series, the better their free kick for/against ratio became! Don't forget, they shouldn't have even been in that Grand Final! The umpires got them over the line in the PF against GWS!

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It's a weird one. Basically there is a notional national (sorry) comp that was created out of a one city comp because it (the VFL)
    was about to collapse. And now it's success in the other states is judged against how it fares in Melbourne, which itself has benefitted
    substantially (ie it's still going) because of the addition of the interstate teams.
    Maybe we need to start looking at things a little differently. Maybe crowds of 12,000 at Giants Stadium, or 8,000 at Blundstone,
    or 15,000 at a North home game at Marvel are OK in the current climate and taking into account how much competition there
    is for the entertainment dollar these days, and not utter failures just because 65,000 show up to a Richmond-Collingwood game
    at the MCG.
    BTW, the average H & A crowd at the SCG this year is down 10.7% on last year, and the average H & A crowd at Giants Stadium
    is down 4% on last year. Though once the derby game is played there in a few weeks, the average H & A crowd at Giants Stadium
    will probably show a slight increase on last year. I just think interest in going to games in Sydney has plateaued.
    You are right, and maybe my expectations for the giants are too high.

If you compare them to other similar clubs. Early swans, bears, gold coast and to a lesser extent Freo and Port, they arent tracking too badly.
    I think the media is lot more fragmented than back in the swans early days. Back then there were 5 TV stations to watch, no netflix, basic internet only. By 7 showing the swans on TV, we got 20-30% of eyeballs in Sydney who couldnt be bothered to change channels whether they liked AFL or not.

The Lions were awesome on the weekend, however their run home is pretty tough.
    Be pleased if they went all the way.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The Lions were awesome on the weekend, however their run home is pretty tough.
    Be pleased if they went all the way.
    Yeah, now that we are pretty much gone, definitely would love to see the Lions take it out. They're probably my third team (Geelong second, Mum went for them.....Dad was Swans).

I enjoyed the 2001-2003 finals series immensely (except for the Lions beating us in the prelim final in '03 of course ).

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yeah, now that we are pretty much gone, definitely would love to see the Lions take it out. They're probably my third team (Geelong second, Mum went for them.....Dad was Swans).

I enjoyed the 2001-2003 finals series immensely (except for the Lions beating us in the prelim final in '03 of course ).
    Me also , been following them all year as really liked some of their footy last year . Also had a sneaky bet on them for the flag into Jeremy Cameron for the Coleman .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Me also , been following them all year as really liked some of their footy last year . Also had a sneaky bet on them for the flag into Jeremy Cameron for the Coleman .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your shout if it gets up! Both right in it.

Senior Player

Yes, who can forget that doozy of a last quarter in that prelim at ANZ. We were building towards something much greater in 05
    of course. My order of preference would be 1.Swans, 2.GWS, 3.Brisbane, 4.Suns..... 16.Collingwood, 17.Western Bulldogs,
    18.the yellow and brown people.

Yes, who can forget that doozy of a last quarter in that prelim at ANZ. We were building towards something much greater in 05
    of course. My order of preference would be 1.Swans, 2.GWS, 3.Brisbane, 4.Suns..... 16.Collingwood, 17.Western Bulldogs,
    Mine is
    1. Swans
    Don’t care thereafter

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Mine is
    1. Swans
    Don’t care thereafter
    Don't be like that mate.... we all know it's hard to watch the GF and not at least be mildly cheering someone on...

03 was a great year though, even with the undesirable end to the Prelim Final. Was a sign of things to come in the following seasons.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Mine is
    1. Swans
    Don’t care thereafter
    1. Swans
    18. GWS

Veterans List
    Definitely agree with your bottom three.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast