Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

#AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

Hawks v Pies
    Last quarter is like a Grand Final .

Veterans List

#AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

The plot thickens as the season nears three quarter time. This weekend sees a Showdown, a Derby and tonight, Collingwood doing their best to blow a top two spot as I write. 3 points down, one and a half minutes left. The Hawks have been annoying to say the least, not that I'm barracking for either team....there you go, Dawks won.

.....and Hannerbury out for the Saints......

Have a great weekend all! Go Swans!!

Hawks superb in Q4.

Pies are in free fall, and face WC in Perth next week.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The plot thickens as the season nears three quarter time. This weekend sees a Showdown, a Derby and tonight, Collingwood doing their best to blow a top two spot as I write. 3 points down, one and a half minutes left. The Hawks have been annoying to say the least, not that I'm barracking for either team....there you go, Dawks won.

.....and Hannerbury out for the Saints......

Have a great weekend all! Go Swans!!
    Yes, Hanners being "managed" after 2 games!
    Hawks/Pies is the sort of game where you wish both teams could lose but it was absorbing and thrilling!
    Go Cygnets tomorrow!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Very enjoyable and long may it continue even if it was Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yes, followed by the Giants and the Tigers. A tough few weeks for the Pies. It would be so sad to see them fall.

Tipped the Hawks. Didn’t think there were enough shots of the McGuire meltdown

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Hawks/Pies is the sort of game where you wish both teams could lose but it was absorbing and thrilling!
    It was thrilling towards the end because both teams suddenly found a way to score, but up to three quarter time I thought it was absorbing in the way a really bad movie or TV show is absorbing - ie you keep watching because you didn't realise something could be so bad.

At least the Hawks gave the impression all game that they cared about winning. They just couldn't execute basic skills. Most of the Pies players looked like it was a bit of a bother for them being forced to play. It was only a couple of pieces of brilliance by players like De Goey that papered over how bad the rest of the team was.

Strange, strange game.

You should write a Footy Column for The Australian Liz.
    You’re so good here ... but it’s a pretty limited audience.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Tipped the Hawks. Didn’t think there were enough shots of the McGuire meltdown
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It was thrilling towards the end because both teams suddenly found a way to score, but up to three quarter time I thought it was absorbing in the way a really bad movie or TV show is absorbing - ie you keep watching because you didn't realise something could be so bad.

At least the Hawks gave the impression all game that they cared about winning. They just couldn't execute basic skills. Most of the Pies players looked like it was a bit of a bother for them being forced to play. It was only a couple of pieces of brilliance by players like De Goey that papered over how bad the rest of the team was.

Strange, strange game.
    Yes, I watched the first three quarters of that game, in periods of five minutes here and ten minutes there, before the dull mediocrity had me switching off. For much of the time, it was slow ball movement out of defence, till a side got it into their attack, where they usually turned it over or kicked a behind. Then the other side would labouriously move it upfield, until they failed to produce a goal. Then back it would go again.
    What was probably the most interesting aspect of the match, was just how far Collingwood have devolved since their excellent early season form. To me, what was most impressive back then, was the speed and confidence that they had when launching an attack. When they caused a turnover, a large number of players would rapidly get in motion, giving plenty of options to the ball carriers. Because they had more options, there seemed to be more chance of making a good decision, and as a result, many sweeping movements ended up in goals being scored. Last night, that confidence and speed was largely absent. Not sure why: maybe their large injury toll is starting to get to them?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast