Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Callum Mills

Callum Mills

I wanted to canvass RWO posters about Mills. I really expected that this year was going to be his break out year. There was the expectation that he was going to spend big minutes in the midfield, hopefully becoming the big bodied inside mid who was eventually going to take over from JPK.

Instead, he has remained as a backman, who is steady enough most times but also prone to panic and poor disposal when under pressure. He is not quite big enough to be a KP defender, not quite nimble enough to be a lockdown defender on the fastest and craftiest small forwards, a bit too slow to be destroying opposition with rebound and not quite composed enough to be a backline general a la McVeigh or Hodge. He's just steady, gets the job done most times as long as he's not under intense pressure. Contemporaries like Dawson, Aliir, Hewett, Papley and Heeney have all gone ahead of him in importance to the team.

Given the big wraps on him in his first year, I feel that so far he is an unfulfilled talent. So where to?
    Do we accept he is destined to be an average player? If that's the case, his next contract should be on average money. Does he need a change of roll to bring out his best, in particular a run in the midfield or even time forward? What are the reasons the coaches are so reluctant to do this? Surely COR, Thurlow or even Dawson could cover his role for some of the game. If we were to get a good offer, should we trade him while he still has the currency of promise?

I really want to see Mills live up his number 3 draft position at the swans. Obviously this would be the best result for the swans and I think for him as well.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I wanted to canvass RWO posters about Mills. I really expected that this year was going to be his break out year. There was the expectation that he was going to spend big minutes in the midfield, hopefully becoming the big bodied inside mid who was eventually going to take over from JPK.

Instead, he has remained as a backman, who is steady enough most times but also prone to panic and poor disposal when under pressure. He is not quite big enough to be a KP defender, not quite nimble enough to be a lockdown defender on the fastest and craftiest small forwards, a bit too slow to be destroying opposition with rebound and not quite composed enough to be a backline general a la McVeigh or Hodge. He's just steady, gets the job done most times as long as he's not under intense pressure. Contemporaries like Dawson, Aliir, Hewett, Papley and Heeney have all gone ahead of him in importance to the team.

Given the big wraps on him in his first year, I feel that so far he is an unfulfilled talent. So where to?
    Do we accept he is destined to be an average player? If that's the case, his next contract should be on average money. Does he need a change of roll to bring out his best, in particular a run in the midfield or even time forward? What are the reasons the coaches are so reluctant to do this? Surely COR, Thurlow or even Dawson could cover his role for some of the game. If we were to get a good offer, should we trade him while he still has the currency of promise?

I really want to see Mills live up his number 3 draft position at the swans. Obviously this would be the best result for the swans and I think for him as well.
    His last 6 weeks have been excellent playing Smith's role. Hardly gave Fantasia a.sniff. Swans value defence really highly so they'd be very happy..Will be interesting to see his development over the years. Still young.

Senior Player
    Yes. It's taken a little while this season, but he's playing well now. Playing like this, happy for him to remain a defender for now.

Playing well? He is an average player at best.

The point of the OP that seems to have been missed is that this is a number 3 draft pick not living anywhere near expectation. As mentioned, plenty of his peers have gone past him.

Most will blame Longmire for not playing him mid. I think this is a cop out though. Mills needs to really show he wants to be better than an average, run of the mill player.

My concern is he was essentially a gun junior midfielder (pick 3) almost 4 years ago and has only progressed to do Nick Smith's role (no disrespect intended). Surely if he had progressed, for example like Clayton Oliver or Jacob Hopper, who were picked immediately after him, he would be playing more of a game influencing role by now. I understand that he is playing a role within the team but if his progress demanded he played in the midfield, then he would surely be there.
    I just hope this is not close to his ceiling because we would've hoped for so much more.

I think he'll turn out to be a fine player, a worthy number 3 pick.

He was a rising star, then out injured for a season, now back playing some good footy in a non prefered position.

I hope he's not one of those players who is held back by constrictive roles, only to move to another club, be freed up, and blossom.

Regarded by many a natural leader. I look forward to watching him develop over the next few years.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

He’s 22, a future club captain, and an already outstanding footballer. He has at least another 3 years before he hits his peak. Judge him then.

Agree that we need to be more patient . There seems to be this expectation in the last few years that highly drafted players virtually get drafted , start in firsts the very next season and then are guns within a year . This is in my view very unfair .

While some may do that , it’s a huge step to go from under 18s to Afl level . One day your playing against guys your relative size to the next against men with five plus preseasons under them at Afl level .

Mills has the skills and the right approach , as Swannie says we just need to give it a little time .

Even with Blakey , you can see the approach and skills are great but you can’t expect them to just dominate .

The players that should be under the microscope are those in the 24 plus age bracket . By that time they have definitely had enough time to show something .

I'm glad so many of you still feel optimistic about him given the collective footy knowledge you all have. I really want him to become a gun - he's a fantastic young man and ambassador for the club and further proof that you can make it in footy coming from NSW.

I'm content with Mills playing Smith's role. He is rarely being beaten at present. As to whether he gets midfield time or not, it may be one of those unanswered questions. We would love to see that. The reality is that the coaches know more.

I don't buy into any top ten draft pick must equal a gun player. There have been plenty of players who didn't make it who have been picked 1 - 10, and plenty who have been superb who were picked up as rookies. It's what a player does with that opportunity once it's given (talent) along with that sense of giftedness.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I saw the thread title I assumed it was going to be along the lines of "how grant has his last month or two been?".

I can understand why people are starting to wonder given his strong first season, but I'm perfectly okay with his development and don't see that it suggests he won't move into the midfield in the future.

He had an outstanding first season in the backline, thoroughly deserving the Rising Star award, then a second season continuing his apprenticeship there. It's not at all uncommon for a young player to spend a couple of years in a role before slowly working their way into the midfield; given Callum's spot has been in the backline we know that's a part of the ground that is harder structurally to move folks out for a spell in the ground than it is for the young forwards.

Season 3 was effectively a write off, and this season he's filling an important role due to an injury. Given how important Nick has been for us, and how long we lamented how underrated he was (he should have had more than the one AA guernsey), I think it's pretty impressive for a young guy to be able to step in and play that role so well.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    When I saw the thread title I assumed it was going to be along the lines of "how grant has his last month or two been?".

I can understand why people are starting to wonder given his strong first season, but I'm perfectly okay with his development and don't see that it suggests he won't move into the midfield in the future.

He had an outstanding first season in the backline, thoroughly deserving the Rising Star award, then a second season continuing his apprenticeship there. It's not at all uncommon for a young player to spend a couple of years in a role before slowly working their way into the midfield; given Callum's spot has been in the backline we know that's a part of the ground that is harder structurally to move folks out for a spell in the ground than it is for the young forwards.

Season 3 was effectively a write off, and this season he's filling an important role due to an injury. Given how important Nick has been for us, and how long we lamented how underrated he was (he should have had more than the one AA guernsey), I think it's pretty impressive for a young guy to be able to step in and play that role so well.
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast