Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 17 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I think that works out to a 33 goal thrashing for the Suns? If my quick maths are correct.

Situation getting very serious now at the Suns, AFL must do something quickly, and not a bandaid job like free hit at half the VFL dregs they got last year, just soaked up cap and added list cloggers. It has to be something comprehensive or they will implode. Rankine signed on for another two but reckon a heap more kids will be looking to bolt if 2020 is more of the same, and it projects that way. Jack Martin appears gone from the jungle drums.
    Agree. Something drastic that would require AFLPA agreement.

For example, Suns (and only Suns) first & second round draftees are offered twice standard salary for their selections provided they sign a legally binding contract to remain at the Suns for 4 years (twice the standard two years). With clause that allows the Suns to review the contract after two years with option to discontinue (that is allow player to leave) or to continue for two more years at same or a market rate salary if the latter is demonstrably higher. However the player cannot refuse the last two years if those terms are met.

Only exception being on agreed compassionate reasons.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Gee I thought we were bad. Port looked like they could all do with a good bath and a shave. As Ron Barassi used to say; if you can't play at least look like a footballer.

Brisbane; clean cut, quick, sharp and looked like a football team.
    There might be something in this. For many years the Yankees were incredibly successful when the team's owner instituted
    a no facial hair or long hair policy.
    As for the Suns, these weekly fifteen goal thrashings achieve absolutely nothing and are embarrassing to the code.
    It's a pity Hodgey can't play for both Queensland teams and inject a bit of steel into those boys. It's not like they can't play,
    their heads just aren't in the right place right now.

Senior Player
    While I'm here, and I know this is not footy, but was anybody else switching between channels to follow the end of the
    Mens final at Wimbledon and the end of the final of the World Cup. That was nuts, and both events occurring simultaneously in
    different parts of London. Hard to top.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    While I'm here, and I know this is not footy, but was anybody else switching between channels to follow the end of the
    Mens final at Wimbledon and the end of the final of the World Cup. That was nuts, and both events occurring simultaneously in
    Crazy night of sport KT by all reports. I had to go to bed, but thought the Cricket World Cup would be close (went to bed with england about 2/50ish I think it was). To be honest though, it should have been a shared trophy if you ask me - the arbitrary measure to seperate the teams (number of boundaries hit) in my humble opinion was a very, very poor choice. If a game is so close it is tied twice on the normal scoreboard, just accept it if you ask me.

Back on footy, but gee Gold Coast truly looks like being a graveyard for every sport. The titans in the NRL just sacked their coach, and poor old Dew is getting nowhere. There is plenty of talent on that list, but its just that at the moment. I don't know how you could possibly fix it quickly either.

Enjoying how the Lions are playing though - hope they go all the way now we are well out of the picture.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Maybe Stewie dew is not the coaching sensation we thought he was.

Gold coast's problem is player retention. They need a sizable salary cap extension until they are well established.
    It's a no-brainer.

Same thing has happened at GWS, but is hidden by their competitiveness.
    All the draft picks in the world don't mean @@@@ if they all leave after 2 years.

A side made of GWS an GC poachies would be better than any state or origin team.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Crazy night of sport KT by all reports. I had to go to bed, but thought the Cricket World Cup would be close (went to bed with england about 2/50ish I think it was). To be honest though, it should have been a shared trophy if you ask me - the arbitrary measure to seperate the teams (number of boundaries hit) in my humble opinion was a very, very poor choice. If a game is so close it is tied twice on the normal scoreboard, just accept it if you ask me..
    Agree it's a rough way to decide a winner. I would have thought a second super over would have been fairer.

Senior Player
    I'm not the greatest fan of Paul Roos, but he did say one thing that I always remember. Talking about leadership, he said
    leadership was one player standing in a section of the field, telling the other players what to do during a game. I know all
    the clubs have their leadership groups, but unless the players in them are really prepared to take command of another
    bunch of players (as Roos describes) and make themselves unpopular from time to time, then a leadership group is just
    another funky, new age phrase to make players who aren't the captain feel a bit better about themselves. There is no
    doubt the GC boys can play, they just need some direction on the field (from a Luke Hodge, Jarrad McVeigh or Heath Shaw
    type) and some stubbornness injected into them to not keep getting rolled every week like this.

Veterans List
    ....and the British F1 GP up the road. It was a big day in English sport but all the results were wrong!

I stayed up for both the tennis and cricket (watching in bed) and I was absolutely spewing when I turned out the light.....

Veterans List
    I'm not the greatest fan of Paul Roos
    Frankly, I'm flabbergasted. As a Swans fan, that one leaves me scratching my head.......

Please explain......

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Frankly, I'm flabbergasted. As a Swans fan, that one leaves me scratching my head.......

Please explain......
    This bout of non-group-speak is getting out of hand.
    Where are the RWO gatekeepers?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    ....and the British F1 GP up the road. It was a big day in English sport but all the results were wrong!

I stayed up for both the tennis and cricket (watching in bed) and I was absolutely spewing when I turned out the light.....
    Particularly harsh for the Kiwis to lose that way, with the Brits getting those extra four runs when the throw at the stumps
    deflected off Stokes' bat.
    The Fed... he had his chances (two match points) I suppose, but couldn't take them. I didn't think he'd get past Rafa in the Semi.
    Pretty good tennis player for an old bloke.

Regular in the Side
    Particularly harsh for the Kiwis to lose that way, with the Brits getting those extra four runs when the throw at the stumps
    The Fed... he had his chances (two match points) I suppose, but couldn't take them. I didn't think he'd get past Rafa in the Semi.
    The unfair part was that the Kiwis took 10 wickets to the Poms 8 but they did know the rules. A wicket should have been more important than the number of fours.

Veterans List

Surely, in all fairness, the ball should be declared 'dead' if it comes of the runners bat? Whether he meant it or not....which Stokes didn't. Pretty stiff though, the Kiwis. They deserved victory.....yeah and Fed will rue not converting just one of those match points!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast