Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: #AFL Round 17 Weekly Discussion Thread

Alan Richardson has walked away as St.Kilda coach. He has called a 12:30pm press conference.

Another one bites the dust. Interesting that he resigned rather than get sacked, and despite a respectable loss on the weekend and a season when they were topping the table after about round 6 and have had a lot of injuries. However, not surprising. The writing was on the wall. I'll be curious what he says at the presser.

I wonder who all the new senior coaches will be next year and whether B. Scott will go round again.

Veterans List
    Richardson may have resigned but he was told he wouldn't be coaching next year so he was basically sacked.

He gave an interesting comment about one of the reasons why he resigned. He talked about approaching players from other clubs and that it's difficult to entice them if there is uncertainty about the coach. I'm surprised he was so open about that. I wonder which players he has spoken to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    He gave an interesting comment about one of the reasons why he resigned. He talked about approaching players from other clubs and that it's difficult to entice them if there is uncertainty about the coach. I'm surprised he was so open about that. I wonder which players he has spoken to.
    I also thought that was a weird comment to make (usually such approaches are kept very quiet). But in any case, how has his departure now made the coaching position for 2020 any clearer? Unless a new long-term coach is appointed very soon this season (Brad Scott?).

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    While I'm here, and I know this is not footy, but was anybody else switching between channels to follow the end of the
    Mens final at Wimbledon and the end of the final of the World Cup. That was nuts, and both events occurring simultaneously in
    different parts of London. Hard to top.
    Who came up with that powder puff madcap idea (who hit the most boundaries) to decide the winner of a World Cup Final?

Shouldn’t it have been which team had the tidiest lockers or the best Dad jokes!

Can you you imagine a Golf Major being decided like that (who had the least bunker shots or who three putted the least... )

Clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Who came up with that powder puff madcap idea (who hit the most boundaries) to decide the winner of a World Cup Final?.
    Agree. Ok for T20 cricket where the whole aim is to entertain by bashing the ball. But one-day cricket is a far more tactical game.

A countback on boundaries hit suggests that boundaries are more meritorious than runs that are actually run. Exploiting field placings and fast running by the batters to score frequent ones and twos, which keep the score ticking along by at least five runs an over during the middle overs, is a skilful tactic which should be equally valued.

They should keep playing super overs until the winner emerges. Alternatively a countback based on where the teams finished in the preliminaries.

By the way, Sportsbet has refunded those who put money on the Black Caps to win, describing the fashion in which the match was decided as an "absolute disgrace".

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Agree. Ok for T20 cricket where the whole aim is to entertain by bashing the ball. But one-day cricket is a far more tactical game.

A countback on boundaries hit suggests that boundaries are more meritorious than runs that are actually run. Exploiting field placings and fast running by the batters to score frequent ones and twos, which keep the score ticking along by at least five runs an over during the middle overs, is a skilful tactic which should be equally valued.

They should keep playing super overs until the winner emerges. Alternatively a countback based on where the teams finished in the preliminaries.

By the way, Sportsbet has refunded those who put money on the Black Caps to win, describing the fashion in which the match was decided as an "absolute disgrace".
    World Cup final should have the gravitas of a test match. Nothing wrong with a tie and nothing wrong with joint winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    World Cup final should have the gravitas of a test match. Nothing wrong with a tie and nothing wrong with joint winners.
    I sort-of agree - but in test series even a drawn series has a ‘winner’ - the team that won the previous series between the two countries retains the winner tag.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Darcy Moore hamstrung again.....great as he is, we dodged a bullet.

PS: The game in Perth is a bit of a thriller.....2 pts in it with 9 minutes left.
    Absolutely. A player who can only get on the park 50% of the time is only half as good as people think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Alan Richardson has walked away as St.Kilda coach. He has called a 12:30pm press conference.
    So disappointing. That means our 2nd round pick is going to go from 23 to 29 😒. Rattan in my opinion is the best assistant coach in the game. I expect a big turnaround with the Aints for the remainder of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Richardson may have resigned but he was told he wouldn't be coaching next year so he was basically sacked.

Hmm. Papley or Jones?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Absolutely. A player who can only get on the park 50% of the time is only half as good as people think.

- - - Updated - - -

So disappointing. That means our 2nd round pick is going to go from 23 to 29 😒. Rattan in my opinion is the best assistant coach in the game. I expect a big turnaround with the Aints for the remainder of the season.
    Doubt it, haven't got the cattle available and their entire list is moderate at best IMO. Bulldogs, Melbourne, Carlton, Freo at Marvel, us at the SCG R23 are all winnable, Crows in Adelaide is not.
    Last edited by 707; 17th July 2019 at 09:01 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234