Thread: Shaw thing

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Shaw thing

It occurred to me that people outside Melbourne might not see this, and it's worth a look.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...05-p524gx.html
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    If North keep doing what they're doing, Rhyce would be a sure thing for the senior job. If North don't appoint him there's a couple of other teams that may grab him. He's turned out just like most of us thought he would, only much quicker due to circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    If North keep doing what they're doing, Rhyce would be a sure thing for the senior job. If North don't appoint him there's a couple of other teams that may grab him. He's turned out just like most of us thought he would, only much quicker due to circumstances.
    Based on what we've seen so far Shaw is worthy of the job.

However, North would be taking a massive risk in giving the no.1 job to an untried coach. We've previously seen coaches step into the breach short term and do well but struggled in a permanent position. Short term coaches can throw caution to the wind with less consequence.

In addition to that, this era lends itself to an older, more experienced coach, who has more game knowledgeable assistant coaches behind him.

On the other hand, North would be insane to spend big dollars on a grade A coach such as Clarkson or Longmire. They've been relying on additional AFL funding for years to stay afloat.

Watching the Essendon v North game I have this fantasy that Shaw doesn’t get the job. Leaves North and returns to Sydney as Horses right hand man / potential successor

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    It occurred to me that people outside Melbourne might not see this, and it's worth a look.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...05-p524gx.html
    It is interesting to read. Somehow, I think that the people who would rather have Shaw than Horse might be surprised to hear him advocating defence, bombing it in long and kicking down the line rather than going through the corridor. He says he makes no bones about the fact that he is a defensive coach, and that he comes from Sydney where "defence is number one". It doesn't sound like an upgrade on Horse (at this stage of Shaw's career) but more like Horse Jr, at least when it comes to gamestyle. When it comes to man management, this seems to be acknowledged as one of Horse's strengths (as it is for Shaw too). So, I wish Shaw success and a long career but, for now, I feel vindicated with our choice to stick with the guy who has the runs on the board.

Veterans List
    The Hun (from yesterday) is predicting that North will put away the cheque book and lock in Shaw as coach.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The Hun (from yesterday) is predicting that North will put away the cheque book and lock in Shaw as coach.
    “Fairfax” saying otherwise

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    “Fairfax” saying otherwise
    No surprise.....looks like he's out then!