Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Injury management

I said this a number of weeks ago. It's time to put Buddy on ice in preparation for 2020. He's a competitor and hates sitting games out but at his age and with the body issues starting to occur we need to do our best to ensure that he can play until the end of his contract. It would also be great to prove wrong those who said we were making a bad decision giving him such a lengthy contract.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I said this a number of weeks ago. It's time to put Buddy on ice in preparation for 2020. He's a competitor and hates sitting games out but at his age and with the body issues starting to occur we need to do our best to ensure that he can play until the end of his contract. It would also be great to prove wrong those who said we were making a bad decision giving him such a lengthy contract.
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/ath...26-p52b62.html

When Buddy’s 9 years are up, will he retire, or continue with 1 year contract extensions? For mine, on current (albeit injury interrupted) form, he’d be a handy forward pocket/HFF along side Reid, McCartin, Blakey

Goes up to 11
    Given what's happened with Sinclair and Cunningham, and particularly the case of Dale Morris over the weekend, I hope we don't rush Naismith back into the 1s prematurely. I rate him and want to see him back out there asap, but I feel the risks by far outweigh the benefit of bringing him back in this week.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    "Good Chiropractor" is an Oxymoron.

Somewhere between quackery and snake oil. Can't believe uni's are allowed to offer it. And with two daughters who are medical doctors, it's an insult to them that these charlatans put "Doctor " before their names.
    With due respect to your wonderful daughters (there are several docs in our our family as well) I actually disagree with this blanket statement about Chiros.

This morning (after a good sleep) I could barely walk or bend without significant pain, and I have to be physically very fit and able to do my active job in tourism.

I swung past my Chiropractor, and he corrected my issues in under 5 mins and I was over 60% pain free to go to my job. I don’t know of any other Practitioner who could have achieved this.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    When Buddy’s 9 years are up, will he retire, or continue with 1 year contract extensions? For mine, on current (albeit injury interrupted) form, he’d be a handy forward pocket/HFF along side Reid, McCartin, Blakey
    Alistair Lynch played one more year (2004) after his 10-year contract (1994 to 2003) was complete. He was 36 yo in that last year, and Buddy will be 35 when his contract finishes in 2022.

So there is precedent.

Mind you, I hope Buddy doesn’t ‘play’ in the same manner as Lynch in his last match!

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Great post Ralph, I was considering starting a similar thread myself.

I understand that every team has injuries, its the nature of the game, but from an unqualified outsiders perspective there just seem to be so many missteps in this area at our club in recent seasons.

In addition to the players you listed, there's also Ling and Durack Tucker who have barely been on the park in their time at the Swans.

Naismith and Tucker have lost 2 full seasons on knee reconstructions in an age when players are getting back on the park faster than ever
    I wasn't expecting Naismith to return at all this year, so he's done better than I expected. Although he's missed nearly 2 full seasons, ACL injuries seem to take longer to recover for AFL than other sports and this seems especially true for big men (think NicNat).

The situation with Ling seems just a case of bad luck, having a couple of injuries that can been played through when not too serious, but often end in surgery. In Ling's case, he had the turf toe (ligament injury) last year and a plantaris tendon injury this year. Evidence would suggest that he was allowed to play with these injuries until the medicos decided that he wasn't going to recover without surgery. If you look through team lists, you will find lots of cases where players go through several years suffering a variety of injuries. I'm very disappointed with Ling's situation and hope his luck changes. I don't want to regret for the next 10 years not taking Ed Richards in the draft

Tucker was recovering from an ACL injury from last year and I think he was near the end of his rehab when he had a serious hamstring injury. The club has released nearly no news on Tucker all year, nor could I find any news articles about it. Sometimes local papers report of these things and you can get more information than you do from the club. We probably won't hear anything until the end of the season when a decision is made to either delist him or extend his contract another year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Alistair Lynch played one more year (2004) after his 10-year contract (1994 to 2003) was complete. He was 36 yo in that last year, and Buddy will be 35 when his contract finishes in 2022.

So there is precedent.

Mind you, I hope Buddy doesn’t ‘play’ in the same manner as Lynch in his last match!
    As long as it's a Grand Final and we win!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Given what's happened with Sinclair and Cunningham, and particularly the case of Dale Morris over the weekend, I hope we don't rush Naismith back into the 1s prematurely. I rate him and want to see him back out there asap, but I feel the risks by far outweigh the benefit of bringing him back in this week.
    Naismith had a full reco and has got through a game whereas Morris let his heal naturally with his leg in a brace 24/7 for the first month and rehab for the rest.....I suppose he did play in the VFL but I suspect Naismith has had a more complete recovery.....time will tell.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 30th July 2019 at 10:50 PM.

Reading through the AFL injury list, I noticed that Scott Thompson is still out with a ruptured testicle. In regards to his estimated return, he's listed as; test. Hmmm, how would you test a ruptured testicle?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Reading through the AFL injury list, I noticed that Scott Thompson is still out with a ruptured testicle. In regards to his estimated return, he's listed as; test. Hmmm, how would you test a ruptured testicle?
    Squeeze it and see if it ruptures again. I think there is a hawthorn player who has the necessary experience to conduct the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Squeeze it and see if it ruptures again. I think there is a hawthorn player who has the necessary experience to conduct the test.
    "On a scale of one to ten, I want you to tell me the difference in sensation, between the left testicle and the right testicle".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast