Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Injury management

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Reading through the AFL injury list, I noticed that Scott Thompson is still out with a ruptured testicle. In regards to his estimated return, he's listed as; test. Hmmm, how would you test a ruptured testicle?
    If he returns, do you reckon he has the balls to get through the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    I don't know, but for some reason, I'm now humming the Colonel Bogey March.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    One needs to go through a decent hit to the knackers to appreciate what he is going through.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I don't know, but for some reason, I'm now humming the Colonel Bogey March.
    ... that's all the band could play ...
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Alistair Lynch played one more year (2004) after his 10-year contract (1994 to 2003) was complete. He was 36 yo in that last year, and Buddy will be 35 when his contract finishes in 2022.

So there is precedent.

Mind you, I hope Buddy doesn’t ‘play’ in the same manner as Lynch in his last match!
    If it's in a winning grand final, who cares?

Reading through the AFL injury list, I noticed that Scott Thompson is still out with a ruptured testicle. In regards to his estimated return, he's listed as; test. Hmmm, how would you test a ruptured testicle?
    Ouch. Can't think of a more deserving player though.

Does anyone remember the injury that Brereton suffered? That would be worse. I think he missed a few weeks from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    If it's in a winning grand final, who cares?
    It wasn't. Lynch's "performance" in the first quarter set the tone for the way Brisbane played that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    It wasn't. Lynch's "performance" in the first quarter set the tone for the way Brisbane played that day.
    That's not what I said. Read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    That's not what I said. Read it again.
    I didn't say you did. I was making the point, perhaps a little too obliquely, that when players lose control like that, it has a negative effect on the team. So we should care.

Senior Player
    It was interesting to hear in the injury report today that Buddy has been training for a week and a half. Presuming he doesn't injure himself playing in his 300th in round 23, one positive of Buddy rehabbing his injury late in this season is that he should be in a position to put in a full preseason, build up his fitness and be ready to go from round 1. It has been a while, I suspect, since Buddy had a surgery-free off-season; his most reason pre-season was significantly truncated by recovering from groin surgery, which could have affected his fitness base and contributed to the injury.

The same goes for Naismith, who was still rehabbing over the recent offseason. Harry Cunningham is another player we have missed who should be ready to rip in from the start of pre-season. Also, generally, a benefit of the of pre-finals bye is it allows players who need surgery to get an earlier opportunity to have it and rehab it, and thus miss less preseason.

Separately, it does seem like we have had too many players re-injure themselves this year. It will be interesting to see whether there is any personnel change in the medical staff before next season.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    It was interesting to hear in the injury report today that Buddy has been training for a week and a half. Presuming he doesn't injure himself playing in his 300th in round 23, one positive of Buddy rehabbing his injury late in this season is that he should be in a position to put in a full preseason, build up his fitness and be ready to go from round 1. It has been a while, I suspect, since Buddy had a surgery-free off-season; his most reason pre-season was significantly truncated by recovering from groin surgery, which could have affected his fitness base and contributed to the injury.

The same goes for Naismith, who was still rehabbing over the recent offseason. Harry Cunningham is another player we have missed who should be ready to rip in from the start of pre-season. Also, generally, a benefit of the of pre-finals bye is it allows players who need surgery to get an earlier opportunity to have it and rehab it, and thus miss less preseason.

Separately, it does seem like we have had too many players re-injure themselves this year. It will be interesting to see whether there is any personnel change in the medical staff before next season.
    Good burst of optimism MW. Buddy and Naismith, barring any further setbacks, should be both fresh as daisies. If Sam Reid can get through almost a whole year, anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post

So if Buddy re injures his groin or hamstring, setting his pre season back another 4-8 weeks, or does a completely new injury due in part to being not match fit, would it be worth it in the context of the match being meaningless (other than being a farewell game for Jack and Macca)? Same goes for Naismith given we've got the ruck pretty well covered in the NEAFL.

My feeling is put them on ice for season 2019 and give them as best a chance as possible to hit 2020 in tip top shape.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast