Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 18 Dockers v Swans Sat 20-Jul at Optus Stadium #AFLDockersSwans @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    We should have won that game but they just seem way down on confidence. Can't get run ons but get run over.
    Actually, for once, we didn’t get run over as I’d feared. Created lots of opportunities - just fluffed them.

We actually did ok. Just let ourselves down with the last kick in forward 50 and crap kicking for goal (as usual). We were pretty hard at the contest and generating decent run out of defence. Also discovered a potential KP / ruck in McLean who was amazing considering it was his first game and he was giving away alot of height and weight. Hayward did a few nice things and Ollie looked a bit better tonight. Hate losing but that wasn't as bad as the insipid performance against the Blues last week.

Senior Player
    No discernible difference in most of the key stats apart from one that really stood out Freo 62 1%ers Sydney 42. Swans were probably lucky to be within 1 point based on that

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I thought we played courageously with the 22 we had out there

Great effort in super slippery conditions
    We were the better team. Wasted a lot of.chances. Umpires weakened late in the last quarter.

No Buddy. A debutant ruckman (and all our other genuine talks inhabiting the rehab room) against 3 experienced Freo ruckmen-sized monsters. A transitioning backline - not hugely experienced (nearly all our mainstay defenders that have been lauded for the last half decade are either injured or retired) nor tall (given the size of the opposition forwards). A bunch of kids who have 1-3 years experience. One of our best recent ball users (Dawson) was in the naughty corner for the week. Scrappy yes. High pressure for 4 quarters yes! From both sides - the home side playing for a faint sniff at finals. I’m not unhappy tonight. I can’t fault my teams endeavour, effort or intensity. The execution? Sure, room for improvement, but we are young and we’re building for 2020 not salvaging 2019.
    Last edited by goswannies; 21st July 2019 at 12:09 AM.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I agree with Meg. Urgh! So many opportunities up forward just wasted. Some amazing efforts finished off with abysmal kicks in, almost never to advantage. And Lloyd's point! Urgh!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    No Buddy. A debutant ruckman (and all our other genuine talks inhabiting the rehab room) against 3 experienced Freo ruckmen-sized monsters. A transitioning backline - not hugely experienced nor tall (given the size of the opposition forwards). A bunch of kids who have 1-3 years experience. Scrappy yes. High pressure for 4 quarters yes! From both sides - the home side playing for a faint sniff at finals. I’m not unhappy tonight. I can’t fault my teams endeavour, effort or intensity. The execution? Sure, from for improvement, but we are young and we’re building for 2020 not salvaging 2019.

My sentiments exactly- well said.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Swannette View Post
    Gerard Healy is becoming an enabler of umpiring underperformance and I cannot stand it. This old boys club fondness for dismissing blatant missed frees as some kind of badge of honour for the beneficiary is very 1980s and freaking wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We commented on this tonight too “xxx taken high there...” *free kick not paid* “...almost”. “Almost a throw there”, “almost ducked there” etc. I had to mute the Tele for the majority of the game.

I actually took a fair few positives out of that. Particularly Rowbottom, McLean, Reid kicking straight was a bonus. Thought Hayward had a better game too.

We got smashed in the clearances as the game wore on, which is a worry, and we have a pretty dysfunctional forward line, which isn't a total surprise when you consider how young it is.

The side was the youngest in 22 years, so I don't think people should be too despondent.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Umpires too gutless to pay 2 obvious holding the ball against Freo. Infuriating!
    Yeah, they shat themselves after the 50. Let a few HTBs go - but we escaped a few too (eg high tackles). I thought umps were pretty good considering the hostile crowd.

Veterans List
    How disappointing was that?? We couldn't even get a point at the end 😞. We certainly had our chances.

We should have been paid holding the ball in that last run forward. They rarely paid it tonight when they should've. It's so frustrating.

Walters sure likes to play for frees. He is better than that.

Reid had another good game. He is our only forward that is likely to kick a goal.

Papley stuffed up his passes inside 50 and they went straight to Freo.

Next game is Geelong...oh dear!

Veterans List
    Pick 5 now almost a certainty :-)

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast