Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 18 Dockers v Swans Sat 20-Jul at Optus Stadium #AFLDockersSwans @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    My frustration with Lloyd is his ball use. Lloyd kicks back and sideways a lot and his kicking lacks penetration. Sometimes his decision making seems poor. If you are going to accumulate 30 + touches a game as an outside link player from the back half, it is imperative that you create play. He doesn't seem to be clearing it effectively.
    I feel like that partly has to do with how the game is played in general now. Teams play very cautiously now after the rule changes, and just try and maintain possession. This has heavily padded Lloyd’s stats compared to last year, without actually being more effective. With that said he has still been one of our best players this year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Serious question as I didn't start following the Swans or indeed AFL until about five years after that: was there a big clean out or retirement run after the 1996 GF loss? I know young Micky O stayed - who were the other kids? And were they as talented as this lot?
    Young players in that team included Heuskes who left for Port.Adelside, Seymour who was often injured, Garlivk.who left to Bulldogs and Grant who went to North in a swap for Schwass. We started to develop young players in the late 90s. Bolton, Fosdike, Matthews, Okeefe, Goodes, Barry, etc. We hung on to them. Crouch was another. Happy if our young lot today turn out as good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Young players in that team included Heuskes who left for Port.Adelside, Seymour who was often injured, Garlivk.who left to Bulldogs and Grant who went to North in a swap for Schwass. We started to develop young players in the late 90s. Bolton, Fosdike, Matthews, Okeefe, Goodes, Barry, etc. We hung on to them. Crouch was another. Happy if our young lot today turn out as good.
    Ryan Fitzgerald was another but.was anothrr always chronically injured. Huge talent.

Interestingly Mc Inerny equal leading tackler for us. He and Kennedy laid 8 each.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    Interestingly Mc Inerny equal leading tackler for us. He and Kennedy laid 8 each.
    McInerney? Rowbottom?

- - - Updated - - -

Ryan Fitzgerald was another but.was anothrr always chronically injured. Huge talent.
    Good memory , hope you don’t forget yr MinLaws Birthday !

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Good memory , hope you don’t forget yr MinLaws Birthday !
    LOL Spud

Warming the Bench
    I felt mclean was manful,tried hard. keep all the youngans in the team,2020 looks promising. BUT we lost scoring chances with short loopy high kicks, they can get your teammate injured. somebody teach them how to kick lower passes
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Repeat, youngest team we've fielded since 1997.
    Semantics
    If any one of Mcveigh/Jack/Buddy played the ave age would have been nowhere near youngest.

We get hung up in that stat, Horse must go out of his way to look at it every week

Who cares replace an 18yr old with a 30 yr old and we are 6 minths older

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Semantics
    If any one of Mcveigh/Jack/Buddy played the ave age would have been nowhere near youngest.

We get hung up in that stat, Horse must go out of his way to look at it every week

Who cares replace an 18yr old with a 30 yr old and we are 6 minths older
    And if we had Buddy and McVeigh playing on Saturday we would have comfortably won the match. The stat regarding average age is a proxy for AFL experience. And experience = on-the-job learning.

Only a very few, exceptional players are at peak performance in their first two to three years of AFL.

Don’t forget one of our emergencies who went out during the warm-up ... he turned out to be fairly at stinking Collingwood!

I watched the replay, keeping in mind to pay attention to Jake Lloyd. I thought he had a great game and was one of our best. Then I checked the stats. He had 42 disposals, not only most in the game, but most for Round 18. He also gained 706 metres, not only the most in the game, but also most for the round. So the bad stuff he did must have just been awful.

Lloyd works so hard getting himself in the best position to get the ball moving out of defence. He's involved in so much of our play. Obviously, if you're getting the ball as often as Jake, then you're likely to have a higher number of chances when something can go wrong. Next game, note how often Lloyd is in a critical position where a mistake will likely lead to a goal, but he makes the right play, and we get out of danger. Of course, it doesn't come off every time, but I suspect he's as good, or better than anyone in our side at making good decisions in tough situations, except perhaps Rampe.

I would prefer to move Lloyd to the midfield (wing) because I don't think he's a good enough defender, and would prefer someone. like Stoddart, with more pace and penetration on the kick. But he does that sweeper role well and it won't be easy to get Horse to take him out of defence, but that's something for next year.

I thought everyone played well, except McCartin. Stoddart didn't get much of the ball, but he showed a few times that he's going to be fine at AFL level. I really liked the play when he made a perfect kick to Fox on the lead, who kicked the goal. I also liked Fox's game. He did something special in a lot of areas. Made a couple of perfect tackles, took a great mark and split the posts when he had to kick a goal. I wonder if he were given a specific role every week, how well he would do.

I thought we played well and should have won, but missed easy chances. Lose by a point, win by a point, it really doesn't matter, except that if Jake Lloyd had kicked that goal and we won, everyone would be raving about just what a star he is.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I watched the replay, keeping in mind to pay attention to Jake Lloyd. I thought he had a great game and was one of our best. Then I checked the stats. He had 42 disposals, not only most in the game, but most for Round 18. He also gained 706 metres, not only the most in the game, but also most for the round. So the bad stuff he did must have just been awful.

Lloyd works so hard getting himself in the best position to get the ball moving out of defence. He's involved in so much of our play. Obviously, if you're getting the ball as often as Jake, then you're likely to have a higher number of chances when something can go wrong. Next game, note how often Lloyd is in a critical position where a mistake will likely lead to a goal, but he makes the right play, and we get out of danger. Of course, it doesn't come off every time, but I suspect he's as good, or better than anyone in our side at making good decisions in tough situations, except perhaps Rampe.

I would prefer to move Lloyd to the midfield (wing) because I don't think he's a good enough defender, and would prefer someone. like Stoddart, with more pace and penetration on the kick. But he does that sweeper role well and it won't be easy to get Horse to take him out of defence, but that's something for next year.

I thought everyone played well, except McCartin. Stoddart didn't get much of the ball, but he showed a few times that he's going to be fine at AFL level. I really liked the play when he made a perfect kick to Fox on the lead, who kicked the goal. I also liked Fox's game. He did something special in a lot of areas. Made a couple of perfect tackles, took a great mark and split the posts when he had to kick a goal. I wonder if he were given a specific role every week, how well he would do.

I thought we played well and should have won, but missed easy chances. Lose by a point, win by a point, it really doesn't matter, except that if Jake Lloyd had kicked that goal and we won, everyone would be raving about just what a star he is.
    Good one, I agree with all of that except the last bit: if he kicked that goal he'd still have detractors. But generally, I don't get the criticism. As you say, he is one of our hardest workers and provides really important run.