Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 73

Thread: Changes for round 19 - Geelong

  1. #1
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    4,146

    Changes for round 19 - Geelong

    Inawson

    Out:

  2. #2
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    14,438
    It will be interesting to see what they do this week. Dawson is a no-brainer to return to the team but, despite the loss, there's no obvious out.

    Fox, as a utility, might well have been the "last" to come into the side last week but he performed pretty well. Well enough to stay, in my book at least. Now that they've brought in a quasi-ruckman, and allowed Aliir and Reid to largely return to their normal spots, it's hard to see them changing back. And that's even before taking into account how creditably McLean performed against the Freo giants. Clarke did what could reasonably be expected of him, and there are plenty of taggable players in the Geelong side. So I imagine he stays too.

    That leaves Stoddart, who was least productive of the four that came into last year's team. But he was the closest to a like-for-like replacement for an injured player - Cunningham. With McVeigh also missing, there's clearly a spot that suits his range of attributes, and I hope they give him more chances to develop. He earned the opportunity with some sustained solid form in the NEAFL.

    So I'm still no closer to working out who might lose their spot this week. I suspect it will be Stoddart but I'll be disappointed if that's the case.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It will be interesting to see what they do this week. Dawson is a no-brainer to return to the team but, despite the loss, there's no obvious out.

    Fox, as a utility, might well have been the "last" to come into the side last week but he performed pretty well. Well enough to stay, in my book at least. Now that they've brought in a quasi-ruckman, and allowed Aliir and Reid to largely return to their normal spots, it's hard to see them changing back. And that's even before taking into account how creditably McLean performed against the Freo giants. Clarke did what could reasonably be expected of him, and there are plenty of taggable players in the Geelong side. So I imagine he stays too.

    That leaves Stoddart, who was least productive of the four that came into last year's team. But he was the closest to a like-for-like replacement for an injured player - Cunningham. With McVeigh also missing, there's clearly a spot that suits his range of attributes, and I hope they give him more chances to develop. He earned the opportunity with some sustained solid form in the NEAFL.

    So I'm still no closer to working out who might lose their spot this week. I suspect it will be Stoddart but I'll be disappointed if that's the case.
    Liz, how do you think Ollie is going? He's been quite down on form of late and Dawson could certainly do his job. Some might suggest Hayward but I thought his effort was up against Freo and feel that maybe he might just be starting to turn the corner on his recent poor form.

  4. #4
    RD I was about to write that maybe Ollie needs a week off. Completely agree with you Liz, that Stoddart needs to get experience in the AFL and now is the time to do it.

    OUT: Florent
    IN: Dawson

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    RD I was about to write that maybe Ollie needs a week off. Completely agree with you Liz, that Stoddart needs to get experience in the AFL and now is the time to do it.

    OUT: Florent
    IN: Dawson
    The ability to transition smoothly and quickly out of defence is so important. Riley has been going well in NEAFL, his confidence would be up and given our ladder position and injury circumstances, now is the time to give him a decent run.

  6. #6
    Regular in the Side Agent 86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hollywood Forever Memorial Park
    Posts
    919
    I think it’s time that McCartin makes way for someone to who knows where to be without the need for a runner. I like the kid, but he’s as good a man short at the moment.

    I want to see Ollie playing - so not buying into ‘needing a rest’ (sadly, I won’t be in town this week to see it ).

  7. #7
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I think it’s time that McCartin makes way for someone to who knows where to be without the need for a runner. I like the kid, but he’s as good a man short at the moment.

    I want to see Ollie playing - so not buying into ‘needing a rest’ (sadly, I won’t be in town this week to see it ).
    Agree with all of that.

  8. #8
    I'm not saying O-Flo should be dropped, only that he looks like he might benefit from one week break.

  9. #9
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    3,713

    Changes for round 19 - Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I think it’s time that McCartin makes way for someone to who knows where to be without the need for a runner. I like the kid, but he’s as good a man short at the moment. ).
    I’ve been thinking the same thing - McCartin is a very young player and could well do with a week off. And I reckon an experienced player such as Menzel would have positioned himself to be at the drop of the ball for those three times Papley kicked the ball from the boundary line back into the centre in front of the goals.

    Papley’s kick was the right one - it was the forwards who weren’t there who made the error. (Papley must be really missing Buddy - those two have developed a wonderful understanding of where each will run & kick.)

    Damn nuisance that NEAFL had a bye last weekend so the MC didn’t get another opportunity to see how Menzel is travelling.
    Last edited by Meg; 22nd July 2019 at 10:46 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I think it’s time that McCartin makes way for someone to who knows where to be without the need for a runner. I like the kid, but he’s as good a man short at the moment.

    I want to see Ollie playing - so not buying into ‘needing a rest’ (sadly, I won’t be in town this week to see it ).
    Can Dawson play up front? Maybe rest McCartin and have Dawson play that centre half forward role?

  11. #11
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Can Dawson play up front? Maybe rest McCartin and have Dawson play that centre half forward role?
    Of course he could, got some size and strength, great game sense, takes a good mark and the kicking, well that's how to kick a footy!

  12. #12
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    6,479
    Inawson

    Out: Lloyd

    As was duly noted in the game thread, Jake Lloyd landed not even 1 tackle last week. Zero! It's just not good enough. I wouldn't even mind seeing Jake tackle Chelsea Roffe a couple of times a game. Just show me something. Let him go back to ressies where most of his league leading metres gained stats will come from jumping the boundary fence to retrieve the ball some idiot kicked into the parking lot.

    The simple problem is that Jake is just in possession of the ball way too much, and everyone knows it's pretty hard to tackle someone when your're holding the ball, unless you're tackling yourself, a feat only Tom Derickx was able to master.

    He's got it too easy. Just picks up the ball from the box behind the goal posts, stands in the goal square, looks left, looks right, looks into the stands, looks at the scoreboard, looks at the bench, checks his twitter account, and finally, when the umpire has had just about enough, blows his whistle and Jake runs out of the goals square, kicks the ball 20 metres and the umpire calls play on. He's so predictable. I'd like to see Zak Jones doing the kick-ins. Hard for oppo coaches to plan for his antics.

    Once Jake is out of the seniors, other players should see their disposal number go up, which will be a big confidence booster for the rest of the team and would probably lead us to a premiership this year if the AFL would only add a few more games to the schedule.



Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO