Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runners - To Have or To Hold?

Runners - To Have or To Hold?

I wondered what others think about the limitations placed on the use of runners this season?

I suspect the Swans might have inadvertently provided part cause for the change after Jeremy Laidler seemed to linger on the ground giving coaching support in the closing stage of our close win over North Melbourne last year.

When announced I thought it was a good move. But I hadn’t thought through possible negative aspects of not being able to get messages to the players - as first shown by the innovations introduced to provide signals from the boundary.

John Longmire very rarely makes public criticism of the AFL. But he has been vocal twice in recent weeks on the runner change, stating quite strongly that he believes the limitations should be dropped from next season.

His first comments followed Buddy’s re-injury of his hamstring in the match against Hawthorn, after Buddy had spent eight minutes on the sideline waiting for a player to rotate off the ground. Longmire didn’t explicitly say that Buddy’s body might have cooled down too much but that was the obvious implication. Longmire did say they very much wanted Buddy back on but couldn’t get the message out to get a player off.

Then in his press conference after Saturday’s match Longmire expressed frustration that he couldn’t get messages out to support the very young players we had on Saturday. That issue would have been exacerbated because it was a low scoring match with only 14 goals in total. (This wasn’t mentioned by Longmire but occurred to me when I thought about the issue.)

What do you think?

Personally from a supporter's perspective I've never been a fan of runners as I thought they were used excessively and tactically by coaches. I can understand Longmire's frustration particularly with our young team, but I hope the AFL remain strong on this. This is where leaders like McVeigh, Parker, Kennedy & Rampe come into vogue with marshalling the young troops. Players should able to learn & work out without runners. I accept it may cost games at times, even finals but so be it. Better for the long run imo. I believe players should have the freedom to think & read the game (footy brain) as it's a skill in itself.

I also think if they further reduce the rotation numbers, not only will it simply things but be indusive to opening up the game. Make the game 18 v 18 as it was originally intended rather than 22 v 22 as it is today. I'm a traditionalist and whince when I hear coaches/supporters say their team is a rotation down!

Veterans List
    Nick Maxwell was the constant 19th man for GWS two years ago, got highlighted by the media how he was always plugging a hole for opposition kick ins.

I prefer there to be no runners during play but understand that has the most impact in low scoring matches which means it impacts us most :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Nick Maxwell was the constant 19th man for GWS two years ago, got highlighted by the media how he was always plugging a hole for opposition kick ins.

I prefer there to be no runners during play but understand that has the most impact in low scoring matches which means it impacts us most :-)
    Highlighted by the victorian media no doubt. Same as NSW sides seem to be the reasons for most rules changes (19th man, kung fu kick, Salary cap, academies). Vic sides can perform systematic drug cheating, but its the evil NSW clubs which is the problem.

I'm no fan of runners, and like the current system. If the coaches want more messages delivered, then score more goals.

I also prefer the current system with no runners. I thought they were a blight on the game. It's natural for young players and teams with less experience to be slower adjusting to changes in game situations. It's just part of the game. It's up to the coaches to teach their players what to do in various game situations as part of training, and to have the leaders on the field implement changes on the go. And we should get a better messaging system through interchanges.

Regular in the Side
    I hate runners on the field also. Should only be necessary for non players to be on the ground when there is an injury. Do not like the excessive use of interchange either. Players should have the stamina to last the full game. Allow interchanges only at the breaks and after goals and dramatically reduce the number available to a team.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    No runners makes footballers like Hodge and McVeigh (when he's on the field) all the more valuable.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    No runners makes footballers like Hodge and McVeigh (when he's on the field) all the more valuable.
    So true. Pity about Father Time catching up with Jarrod.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    So true. Pity about Father Time catching up with Jarrod.
    2019: Swans record with McVeigh playing Played: 5, Won:2 (40% winning)
    2019: Swans record without McVeigh playing: Played: 12. Won 4 (33% winning)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    2019: Swans record with McVeigh playing Played: 5, Won:2 (40% winning)
    2019: Swans record without McVeigh playing: Played: 12. Won 4 (33% winning)
    Your point?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Your point?
    That we are 21% better when Macca is playing?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    That we are 21% better when Macca is playing?
    Would be almost dead even if the siren in Perth had blown a couple of minutes earlier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast