Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 19 - Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I did say "if he's available". If so, he might as well play seniors as NEAFL.
    Or you could say "when he's available" if we are still talking about 2019. I would give the same reply. It's much easier to manage a player's time in NEAFL than the AFL. I think Naismith needs some time management when he does return.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Or you could say "when he's available" if we are still talking about 2019. I would give the same reply. It's much easier to manage a player's time in NEAFL than the AFL. I think Naismith needs some time management when he does return.
    I think we’ll soon recognise he is not the messiah!

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I think we’ll soon recognise he is not the messiah!
    And what kind of messiah would he be anyway? Has to take a year off from doing the walk on water trick. He doesn't exude confidence that he can make cripples walk again, let alone get himself to walk again.

I'd like to see Zak Jones doing the kick-ins. Hard for oppo coaches to plan for his antics.
    Pretty hard for the Sydney coaches to plan for them too.

Compared to the rest of our Ruck stocks, Naismith is the Messiah.

Senior Player
    Naismith hasn't played in 2 years. You can't just bring him back to play AFL. He needs to be carefully managed. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play senior football this year (something I predicted at the time of his injury). See NicNat as an example. I would also put Buddy on ice. It's getting to the point in the season where it hardly makes sense to play him, even if fully recovered. I would like to see both fit and ready to get in a full preseason than play now in meaningless games.
    Agree with everything you say, and yet I don't think any of us would be hugely surprised if he was named

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Agree with everything you say, and yet I don't think any of us would be hugely surprised if he was named
    McLean had a great debut match last week. It's hard to see anyone coming in and having more of an impact (including Naismith). I think he'll be in the team for the rest of the year

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    McLean had a great debut match last week. It's hard to see anyone coming in and having more of an impact (including Naismith). I think he'll be in the team for the rest of the year
    McLean was a surprise packet last week, a lot to like about his game, particularly when you factor in his background and injury problems, so almost certain he'll play out the year in the seniors.

McLean competed but he got monstered and the clearance differential was one of the worst recorded in the AFL this year.

But it was against 3 ruckman including a guy 6 inches taller.

I wonder if they’ll use the rest of the season to give Knoll etc a try or just tell McLean he’s ducking for the rest of the year.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    McLean competed but he got monstered and the clearance differential was one of the worst recorded in the AFL this year.

But it was against 3 ruckman including a guy 6 inches taller.

I wonder if they’ll use the rest of the season to give Knoll etc a try or just tell McLean he’s ducking for the rest of the year.
    There must be something about Knoll they don't like. For McLean to come in, compete well and lay 8 tackles is really promising. Unless Knoll suddenly hits a hot streak it'll be McLean for the year

Senior Player
    This is some sort of a myth. The Swans are the best team in the AFL scoring from play originating in their defensive zone. The Swans are obviously not doing so well scoring from stoppages and turnovers.

Naismith hasn't played in 2 years. You can't just bring him back to play AFL. He needs to be carefully managed. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play senior football this year (something I predicted at the time of his injury). See NicNat as an example. I would also put Buddy on ice. It's getting to the point in the season where it hardly makes sense to play him, even if fully recovered. I would like to see both fit and ready to get in a full preseason than play now in meaningless games.
    I thought Longmire implied in his Monday presser that they're looking forward to Naismith playing this year. It won't be this week, maybe next.

I think they'll be keen to see how he goes, as it's relevant to post-season strategy. Also, they are keen to keep their structure and they won't want to knock McLean's confidence too much. Like Sinclair, McLean is more a forward, second ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I thought Longmire implied in his Monday presser that they're looking forward to Naismith playing this year. It won't be this week, maybe next.

I think they'll be keen to see how he goes, as it's relevant to post-season strategy. Also, they are keen to keep their structure and they won't want to knock McLean's confidence too much. Like Sinclair, McLean is more a forward, second ruck.
    Lots of tall forward options moving into 2020. Buddy, Reid, McCartain, Sinclair, McLean and Amartey. Blakey and Dawson both tall enough to play 3rd tall as well. I really hope Naismith makes a good comeback and we also recruit a decent ruck in the off season.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast