Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #AFL Round 19 Weekly Discussion Thread

On Footy Classified tonight, Caroline Wilson in her "Arrow" segment had a crack at North Melbourne for disrupting other clubs seasons after they had stuffed up the handling of Brad Scott. She pointed out Glenn Archer went over to WA & poached his mate Brad Rawlings from the West Coast list manager position, without even seeking West Coast's permission to interview him! She also had a go at North for attempting to poach premiership coach John Longmire from the Swans whilst he was still under contract. She doesn't believe North have the right to conduct themselves like this after stuffing up themselves internally.

Caro also mentioned that North haven't bothered interviewing anyone for the coaching role other than Rhyce Shaw, even though they had requested to interview Brett Kirk who declined the invitation because he could see that it was just window dressing because Rhyce is over the line in getting appointed. But I was then confused when Hutchy said without elaborating further, that John Blakey is on North's Radar. In what role if Rhyce has the coaching job in the bag? If it's for a assistant role, I can't see Blakey leaving who is Horse's right hand man, after he just committed for another 4 years with us. Is it just another sneaky tactic by North (if there's any substance to Hutchy's throw away line) in the hope they may able to lure Nick at his next contract?

I don't think you need to ask permission to interview anyone. The only person who needs to agree is the interviewee.

Caro is not living in the real world.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I don't think you need to ask permission to interview anyone. The only person who needs to agree is the interviewee.

I'm sure I read during the whole Longmire poaching saga that the club has to be notified. It's not asking permission but it's letting the club know that you are planning on contacting their employee. In our case North spoke to us...although with all the media speculation it's not like they could hide it even if they wanted to!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

It is important protocol when you are interviewing a contracted staff member for another job.

I thought there was a rule it was ok to interview an assistant during the year for a senior job (I.e. a promotion), but not for another assistant job.

On that basis, Kirk would have been ok to have an interview with North.

The girls are chatting to Nick Blakey tonight on
    ON THE MARK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The girls are chatting to Nick Blakey tonight on
    ON THE MARK.
    Apparently Norf are seriously looking at Blakey as a potential coach. I'm not sure what Blakeys long term ambitions are; hopefully he wants to stay in Sydney. We don't want to lose him (or Nick).

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Apparently Norf are seriously looking at Blakey as a potential coach. I'm not sure what Blakeys long term ambitions are; hopefully he wants to stay in Sydney. We don't want to lose him (or Nick).
    Take 3: Nick was asked On The Mark what he would do if his father John got a head coach job in Victoria? Nick answered he couldn't see himself leaving the Swans, he loves the club he always dreamt playing for. He then jokingly said John can move to Victoria and mum can stay with him in Sydney (as he still lives at home). His earliest footy memory is hanging around Goodsie in the Swans change rooms.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Take 3: Nick was asked On The Mark what he would do if his father John got a head coach job in Victoria? Nick answered he couldn't see himself leaving the Swans, he loves the club he always dreamt playing for. He then jokingly said John can move to Victoria and mum can stay with him in Sydney (as he still lives at home). His earliest footy memory is hanging around Goodsie in the Swans change rooms.
    That was my impression. Nick should play 250+ games for the Swans.

Veterans List
    Watching the 3rd quarter of the Adelaide/Saints match. The umpiring is woeful. So many obvious Adelaide infringements not penalised.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Watching the 3rd quarter of the Adelaide/Saints match. The umpiring is woeful. So many obvious Adelaide infringements not penalised.
    Home crowd advantage. Always interesting to watch two neutral sides playing as you can get an unbiased view of the umpiring - and it's often not pretty :-(

Veterans List
    For what it's worth, there is a Round 20 Weekly Discussion Thread in progress.......this is round 20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12