Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 20 v Giants

Changes for round 20 v Giants

OK so Horse in his presser says Hayward has had an operation and is done for the year. Buddy still "two weeks" away. Ollie due back this week. He also implied that Naismith coming back was a possibility. Surely a slim one.

Thought Ronke went OK. Melican, Stoddart and McLean all struggled. Don't think they can persist with McLean as the #1 ruckman.

The Giants have 3 tall forwards and may well play 2 ruckman against us as they did against Port. I think the best option would be to keep McLean in the side but play him as a fwd/ruck and play McCartin back.

OUT: Stoddart, Melican
    IN: Florent, Knoll / Naismith

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    OK so Horse in his presser says Hayward has had an operation and is done for the year. Buddy still "two weeks" away. Ollie due back this week. He also implied that Naismith coming back was a possibility. Surely a slim one.

Thought Ronke went OK. Melican, Stoddart and McLean all struggled. Don't think they can persist with McLean as the #1 ruckman.

The Giants have 3 tall forwards and may well play 2 ruckman against us as they did against Port. I think the best option would be to keep McLean in the side but play him as a fwd/ruck and play McCartin back.

Melican can be forgiven for one poor game.

I worry that he'll get murdered against the Giants

The giants will play both Ruckman at least until Patton comes back (whenever that is?). Both are old crocks who can't single-handidly ruck a game on their own. It's their strength and their weakness.

If Naismith is ready, it's straight back in.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The giants will play both Ruckman at least until Patton comes back (whenever that is?). Both are old crocks who can't single-handidly ruck a game on their own. It's their strength and their weakness.

Horse mentioned hit-out discrepancy stats today (which is unusual the mention, that is, not the stat) so no doubt they’re aware we’re being smashed here. My guess, tho, is he won’t be back so soon. One game with limited time sounds like… not yet.

Big ask for players like AA, McLean, Reid, Fox et al to fill this gap tho’, so something’s gotta give.

Senior Player

Fox out before Stoddart.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

The question is whether he's ready. I doubt it

IN: Knoll, Menzel, Florent, Thurlow
    OUT: Melican, Fox, Stoddard, Clarke

Knoll allows McLean to play as a KPD in replace of Melican and as 2nd Ruck.
    Menzel as forward, allowing flexibility playing McCartin down back when McLean is in ruck.
    Would like to keep Stoddard for development purposes, but Florent needs to come back in.
    Thurlow for Clarke for defence rotation/balance & flexibility for Mills to play some midfield minutes.

FB: Lloyd Rampe McLean
    HB: Mills Allir O'Riordan
    C: Florent Jones Dawson
    HF: Heeney McCartin Papley
    FF: Blakey Reid Ronke
    R: Knoll, Kennedy, Parker

Int: Hewett, Menzel, Thurlow, Rowbottom
    Last edited by KSAS; 29th July 2019 at 04:21 AM.

In Knoll Florent
    Out Melican Fox
    This is going to be a difficult game. Giants have a tall mobile forward line, which will be at least as threatening as the cat's.
    Melican was badly found out on Sunday, needs to head back to NEAFL and work on his positional play.
    McCartain to play back, McLean forward with Knoll to ruck. He will be up against Simpson, a match up he would be expected to compete in at NEAFL level.
    Fox out as not needed as second ruck or as second tagger given GWS midfield injuries.

Senior Player
    The question is whether he's ready. I doubt it
    History suggests that's not a relevant consideration, I'd be shocked if they don't select him

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    History suggests that's not a relevant consideration, I'd be shocked if they don't select him
    Horse said he played 60 minutes in the NEAFL. It would be a huge step up. And against Mumford who could hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    In Knoll Florent
    Out Melican Fox
    This is going to be a difficult game. Giants have a tall mobile forward line, which will be at least as threatening as the cat's.
    Melican was badly found out on Sunday, needs to head back to NEAFL and work on his positional play.
    McCartain to play back, McLean forward with Knoll to ruck. He will be up against Simpson, a match up he would be expected to compete in at NEAFL level.
    Fox out as not needed as second ruck or as second tagger given GWS midfield injuries.
    I do wish that we would learn to defend from in front sometimes, rather than behind all the time. It is not nearly as an effective tactic with the way footy was going, and Melican in particular gets caught out as he gets done for pace too often then not.

I expect if Naismith got through ok the NEAFL game in terms of how he recovers he will be in, and Florent if he is ok will be back in. Probably for Fox and McLean, who despite fading badly yesterday did some nice stuff in the first quarter - there is something about him that I like a lot.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast